When we last left my little obsession, I had just finished making a vacuum formed plastic shell body for my LaTrax Teton R/C car. So far, my experiment had been going smoothly, but something was missing. While the stock car body was baby skin smooth, I wanted my new scale model to have all the bells and whistles of a full sized vehicle! So, I set about building all of the accessory pieces.
In recent months, I've been diving into 3D printing with both feet. Thus, it made sense for me to make many of these tiny parts with a 3D printer. Since I had 3D modeled the master part for the car body shell, I could model the rear rack, custom rims, headlamps, jerry cans, and other accoutrement perfectly to scale.
All of the parts were modeled in Fusion 360 and prepared in Simplify 3D. Then they were printed on my Dremel Idea Builder and it performed magnificently! I used a standard PLA filament and printed the parts at the highest possible resolution. I was actually really impressed with the parts that this champ of a machine pooped out!
Since some of these parts were very small, thin, and weirdly shaped, many of them required quite a bit of support material. While this did triple the filament used, and take quite a bit longer, the resulting parts came off the support material quite easily and required very little clean up.
Any hideously offending printing artifacts were filled in with a little bit of red spot putty and then I got to sanding. Most of the sanding was done to remove as much of the horizontal printing lines as possible. For this task I employed 220 grit sandpaper and sanding twigs.