We've watched awareness and enthusiasm for quadcopters explode over the past year and a half--this is a really exciting branch of hobby RC. For our part, we've done our best to keep up with the hobby, from testing ready-to-fly quads to building our own multi-rotors. But between that videos that we've produced and Hobby RC guides written by Terry Dunn, there's a lot of material to digest if you're just getting started. So I'm putting all of our multi-rotor and RC coverage on this landing page as a beginner's resource and formal archive of topical content.
I'll be updating this on a monthly basis, and please use this page's comments section to continue a discussion of all things multi-rotor-related.
How to Get Into Hobby RC Guides
This is Terry Dunn's bi-weekly column exploring all facets of the RC hobby, including multi-rotors. A great place to start is his first guide to getting started with general RC vehicles. The following guides cover multi-rotors specifically, with boats, planes, and car guides below it. I've marked what I consider to be essential reading with asterisks.
- Joining the Quad Squad: How to Get Started with RC Quadcopters
- How to Get Started with Hobby RC Vehicles*
- Essential Tools for Your Hobby Workshop*
- Learning to Fly Quadcopters*
- RC Quad Flight Etiquette*
- The FAA's Take on Quadcopters
- What You Should Know about the FAA's Proposed Drone Rules*
- Flying 3D Aerobatics with RC Quads (Stingray 500, Invertix 400)
- Racing Quadcopter Buyer's Guide
- Starter FPV Quadcopter Guide*
Our videos covering some of these topics are embedded below.
Non-Multi-Rotor Hobby RC Guides
- Introduction to RC Radios and Power Systems*
- Introduction to Computer Radios/Transmitters*
- Introduction to LiPo Batteries*
- Introduction to RC Car Basics, Part 1 (testing the ECX Ruckus Monster Truck)
- Introduction to RC Car Basics, Part 2 (Upgrading car radio and batteries)
- Getting Started with RC Boats (testing the Reef Racer)
- Taking off with RC Planes (testing the HobbyZone Delta Ray)
- Getting into RC Airboats (testing the Mini Alligator Tours aquacraft)
- Body Painting Your Vehicles
Hobby RC Build Guides
Terry also built his own racing quadcopter, and documented the build in the following series of guides:
- Building an FPV Racing Quadcopter, Part 1
- Building an FPV Racing Quadcopter, Part 2
- Building an FPV Racing Quadcopter, Part 3
- Building an FPV Racing Quadcopter, Part 4
Hobby RC Product and Gear Coverage
- Previewing the FireFLY6 RC Multi-Rotor
- Testing the Mobius Action Cam for RC
- Testing the Blade 350 QX2 AP Combo Quadcopter
- The RC flyers and planes at E-Fest 2015
- Testing Ares Quadcopters
- Comfort Mod for FPV Goggles
- Testing AS3X Artificial Stabilitization
And there's plenty more to come!