Inside Sphere Molder? Sphere/Circular Retainer? I'm not sure the actual name

Created by porcupine on June 16, 2020, 11:54 p.m.
  • Hello,

    Not sure if I posted this on the right forum, if it's wrong, mod please move it for me. It's very hard to find something online when you don't even know what it's called. I am searching for Inside Sphere Molder? Sphere/Circular Retainer I might have to make it myself. I prefer buying it because I only live in a small apartment and I don't have heavy machinery to actually design it.

    I make and design paper vases and potteries for a hobby and because it's handmade, I have a hard to retaining the spherical shape of the vase. I don't want to use large rubber bands, because that will damage the design of the exterior, so I am thinking of maybe a type of a adjustable contraption of some sort that will expand from the inside.

    I've seen it Youtube once, with a basket maker and I am looking for something similar I remember it was made out of wood. Not sure if it was spring loaded or to hold arms with dowel. Does anyone knows where I can get a device similar to what I am talking about, and if not, can someone give me an idea how to make one?

    i hope the picture helps.

  • This could be way off but what about a balloon? Blow it up and tie it off at the right size?

  • If you are looking for something to compress and push out, it sounds a lot like an adapted shoe tree Though I would either try SamH's suggestion of a balloon or perhaps asking a wood working shop to build you a 2 part buck.