Tried to upgrade my video card, but didn't work out well

Created by buhssuht on March 15, 2012, 7:20 p.m.
  • be sure th old cards drivers are completely removrd before installing the new drivers for the new card.
    ot damn u touchscreens without autocorrect :P
  •  The installation wizard keeps telling me it is complete but when I connect the video cable

Wait, what? Something's not adding up here.
  • @lane said:
    "

The installation wizard keeps telling me it is complete but when I connect the video cable

Wait, what? Something's not adding up here. "
    Yeah, buhssuht, you need to explain this a bit better.  Are you saying you installed the software before you connected the card to your monitor?
  • @buhssuht: it is absolutely imperative that you uninstall the old driver before installing the new driver. If you have tried to install the new driver w/o uninstalling the old one, then either uninstall the old driver or system restore to before you installed the new driver. If you can't get any video out of the new card after doing that, insert the old video card, boot into windows uninstall the drivers for the old one, install the new card, and then install the drivers for the new card. 

If you don't do it in that order, you can create a whole host of issues for yourself. 

To uninstall a graphics card. 
    Open up Device Manager (search for it in the control panel if you can't find it). 
    Open up the Display Adapters category. 
    Right click on your graphics card and click uninstall.
  • let us know how it goes
  • None of this is applicable if your monitor's not currently hooked up to your motherboard, but here's my take:

If the old card is removed and the new one's in place but not recognized it's probably because of the on-board graphics.  Make sure that after you've uninstalled the video drivers and shut down that you've disconnected the monitor cable from the motherboard and fully inserted the new card, connecting the monitor cable to it.  

Many motherboards with on-board graphics have a BIOS option to disable them, but the trend seems to be towards auto-detect so you may not have the option to force it. Your friend probably would've disabled them when he installed the first card if the BIOS had that option. 
     [Just checked Newegg pics and the motherboard doesn't have a DVI connection, if your monitor's connected to the motherboard without an adapter, you'll need a DVI cable or DVI-DSUB adapter (most DVI-only videocards come with them)]
  • Whenever I switch GPU's, I always plug the cable straight into the GPU output even before I install drivers. This should work just fine due to Window's generic drivers, so try doing that instead of dealing with the whole integrated graphics nonsense. Also, what the fellow above me said about disabling the onboard graphics is a viable thing to try also. 
  • Uninstall the drivers for the onboard video card, turn the computer off, put in the new video card, connect the monitor to the new video card, turn the computer on, stop it at the bios and turn off the onboard video card, save your settings, then boot into windows and install the drivers for the new card.

Edit----> Theres also probably a setting in the bios to boot from the pci-e slot or the onboard graphics, be sure to change that too if its there.

• At this point, I might well as return the video card try with new one. any suggestion/recommendation?
  • @ColderWinters: 
    Went ahead and checked out the motherboard's BIOS manual - looks like the onboard graphics settings (unless they've added something with a BIOS update) are either Enabled or Auto with no disable option.
     @buhssuht:
    Apart from all this driver nonsense - if the new video card is in the slot and you have the monitor hooked up to it and have a video signal then the card itself is working and it's some problem with the OS or drivers.  If you don't get a video signal when it's plugged in with the monitor hooked up to it you might have a bad card.    If you're not getting a video signal from it then troubleshooting's a whole different beast bringing in the power factors.

Do you know the make/model/wattage of your Power Supply?  
    The 460 will also require extra power from the power supply - if I recall correctly, it needs 2 6-pin connectors for power.  Your power supply might have 1-2 6-pin leads to plug into the card.  If not, both of the supplied adapters should be used - not off the same voltage rail if possible. If you're not running power to the 6-pin input(s) on the card this could be the root of all of your problems.
    I apologize if this sounds condescending at all, but I don't know your experience level.  You don't have to apologize for lack of experience - troubleshooting stuff like this is how you get it. 
  •  @buhssuht:

With Enabled or Auto as your only options in the Bios, set it to Auto

•   @buhssuht: okay , this is how you install a graphics card.
    1. Download latest drivers for your new card from either AMD or Nvidia (subvendors like sapphire or msi might have drivers on their site , but usually its a good idea to stick to the vanilla ones)
    2. remove old graphics card drivers
    3. turn of computer 
    4. open computer , remove old graphics card.
    5. insert new graphics card in primary PCI-e slot on motherboard
    6. connect all  visible power connectors on the new card ( in your case TWO 6pin PCI-e power connectors ) 
        (clickable image)
    7.connect monitor to new card
    8.start computer
    9.install drivers

is there anything you did differently than listed here?
  • It finally worked. thanks guys. 
    I know I'm making myself sound dumb, but the main reason why I couldn't get it to work was that I did not connect the power connectors. 

• It's not so dumb - your old card didn't use them. The manual would've helped, I imagine, but glad you found the solution. Thanks for checking back in.