Any comments on the "myTouch 3G" or "Motorola CLIQ"?

Created by JJWeatherman on March 15, 2012, 7:06 p.m.
  • I actually may be upgrading my phone soon. I have a T-Mobile plan and apparently I'm at the point where I can get the full upgrade discount. So anyways Two of the phones available are the myTouch 3G and the Motorola CLIQ. Does anyone have any experience with either of these phones? If so, would you recommend them? This would help me out a lot. Oh and for some reason the Nexus One doesn't show up as something I can get an upgrade discount on so I guess that option is out.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.  : )
  • I would call up t-mobile first real quick and ask about that Nexus.
  • @Jayge said:
    " I would call up t-mobile first real quick and ask about that Nexus. "
    Yeah maybe I should. But it would be more money anyways and I'm not sure I would want to spend any more than those two phones already are.
  • @JJWeatherman: I just got a CLIQ over the weekend and really like it. I was really only looking at it or a G1 simply because I wanted both Android and a keyboard. I like the built in twitter/fb stuff as well. If you are interested in it, make sure you handle one in person...it's pretty heavy, and I'm guessing the keyboard isn't to everyone's liking.
  • I would go with the CLIQ then.
  • @HSaabedra said:
    " I would recommend either, but having owned both, I enjoyed owning the CLIQ over the myTouch 3G because of the hardware keyboard.  Not to take anything away from the soft keyboard on the 3G, but resistive displays aren't really suited for typing.  On the CLIQ you also have the advantage of the MotoBLUR interface over stock Android, which is very customizable and handy for quick glances at certain info..    As for the Nexus One and upgrades, you can actually upgrade to it, but you have to do it directly through Google, as T-Mobile does not handle sales of the unit directly. "
    OK thanks for the info. I looked up the Nexus upgrade plans and found that it would be $279 to upgrade to the Nexus. It would only be $149 to upgrade to the myTouch or CLIQ. So I'm probably gonna just go with either the myTouch or CLIQ.

I'll have to look at some details on the MotoBLUR stuff because that may be what decides this. I don't mind the lack of a keyboard on the myTouch, I don't text a whole lot anyways. Is MotoBLUR just a variation of android or something, similar to how there are different variations of Linux?
  • @erinfizz said:
    " @JJWeatherman: I just got a CLIQ over the weekend and really like it. I was really only looking at it or a G1 simply because I wanted both Android and a keyboard. I like the built in twitter/fb stuff as well. If you are interested in it, make sure you handle one in person...it's pretty heavy, and I'm guessing the keyboard isn't to everyone's liking. "
    Yeah I'll definitely go check them out in-store eventually. I just want to at least think I know what I want before I go in so that that sales person isn't the deciding factor.  :P
  • And if you want, you can replace it completely.
  • @HSaabedra said:
    "  Not to take anything away from the soft keyboard on the 3G, but resistive displays aren't really suited for typing. "
    I forgot to ask, what exactly do you mean by "resistive display"? Basically does either one have a more versatile or better touch screen than the other? I'd like the touch screen to be pretty nice. Thanks for all your other comments btw, you're helping me decide.  :P
  • @JJWeatherman said:

" @HSaabedra said:

"  Not to take anything away from the soft keyboard on the 3G, but resistive displays aren't really suited for typing. "
    I forgot to ask, what exactly do you mean by "resistive display"? Basically does either one have a more versatile or better touch screen than the other? I'd like the touch screen to be pretty nice. Thanks for all your other comments btw, you're helping me decide.  :P "
    Resistive displays require an object to press the screen hard enough to distort it slightly, connecting two thin metallic layers behind the screen. The other main kind of touchscreen, capacitive, senses small charges given off by the human body. An example of the former is a Nintendo DS, an example of the later is an iPhone.
  • The wife owns a CLIQ and loves the crap out of it.  I swear she spends more time on her phone now than I do.  The keyboard on the CLIQ is very easy to use and I think Motorola did a great job bringing good hardware to a relatively "low" end device.  That would get my vote between the two.
  • @extremeradical said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

" @HSaabedra said:

I forgot to ask, what exactly do you mean by "resistive display"? Basically does either one have a more versatile or better touch screen than the other? I'd like the touch screen to be pretty nice. Thanks for all your other comments btw, you're helping me decide.  :P "
    Resistive displays require an object to press the screen hard enough to distort it slightly, connecting two thin metallic layers behind the screen. The other main kind of touchscreen, capacitive, senses small charges given off by the human body. An example of the former is a Nintendo DS, an example of the later is an iPhone. "
    Oh OK I get it. I have lots of experience with my DS and just played around with my friends ipod touch a few hours ago. So the CLIQ has the capacitive and the myTouch has the resistive? Which one would you say is better? I would think that the capacitive would be better buy hey, I don't know jack about this stuff. I've never really owned a "nice" phone before.  :P

You guys are all helpin' me out a lot though so thanks.

• Holy crap that's a lot to pay for one of those two phones though. Try to haggle when you go in. 

Most people prefer capacitive, except it doesn't work as well in extreme cold. Other than that there aren't many disadvantages to it. And resistive screens don't usually have multi-touch (I don't know if any consumer resistive devices have multi-touch, actually...) so it isn't really much of a fight :-P