Android's slice of the OS pie explodes... from 2.8% to 7.1%

Created by Jayge on March 15, 2012, 6:39 p.m.
  • Apparently, Android's market share in the smartphone OS department has surged past Palm's offerings to claim 4th place in the running. It looks like it shaved off a bit of Microsoft's stake and kicked Palm in the shins on the way up. Anecdotally, a lot of people I know personally who never used a smartphone before sprung for a Droid when their contracts renewed, so it could also be expanding through new users. Do you think it'll ever beat Windows Mobile? 

(Source)
  • Interesting. As I said in Claud's post I would use the shit out of a smartphone if and when I get one. I've always thought of the iPhone as the only real contender, but now the Nexus One makes what I might get a harder choice.
  • I'd be shocked if it's less than 15% by the end of 2010.
  • That's not that surprising, I'm kinda surprised Palm is really holding in at all.
  • @NoDeath said:
    " Interesting. As I said in Claud's post I would use the shit out of a smartphone if and when I get one. I've always thought of the iPhone as the only real contender, but now the Nexus One makes what I might get a harder choice. "
    Android as a whole makes the iPhone OS seem clunky, outdated and useless. Listening to Pandora and you get a text message? Too damn bad. You have to quit out of Pandora, read the message and then reload Pandora. With Android, you simply drag down the notification bar, tap on the message, reply, and then go back to Pandora. And should you ever find the urge to leave Pandora to play a game and still listen to it, you simply tap the home icon and you'll still hear the music.
  • If nothing else, I hope this gives Apple something to think about. Give 'em hell, Android!
  • yes, Droid seems to be great.
  • @2 said:
    " I can't say i'm all that surprised by this.  There has been a lot of big Android phones come out in the last year, really the only big smartphones to come out in the last year all used Android.  Let's be honest, if your not in the market for an iPhone, why on earth would you buy anything that wasn't running Android? "
    Well, the majority still seems to prefer BlackBerry iterations at this point. And they still grew the most (behind Android) which is impressive at that saturation, so they don't necessarily look like they're dying.
  • @2: well, I'm a big symbian fan, so I naturally favor devices running that platform.
  • Interesting, though I'm not really surprised to see how well it's doing. It's a good product and people are realizing that. It blows my mind that Research in Motion is doing so well though, I'd be willing to bet they have a lot of corporations that use their services. I truly hated the Blackberry Storm, it was so slow and sluggish that I just couldn't bear to use it anymore. 

It seems like Microsoft is who took the hit and those people switched to Droid, but that's an assumption as those numbers really don't say exactly that.
  • @bored_and_agitated said:
    " @2: well, I'm a big symbian fan, so I naturally favor devices running that platform. "
    Is symbian even considered a smartphone OS? 

@Kane said:
    " Interesting, though I'm not really surprised to see how well it's doing. It's a good product and people are realizing that. It blows my mind that Research in Motion is doing so well though, I'd be willing to bet they have a lot of corporations that use their services. I truly hated the Blackberry Storm, it was so slow and sluggish that I just couldn't bear to use it anymore.  It seems like Microsoft is who took the hit and those people switched to Droid, but that's an assumption as those numbers really don't say exactly that. "
    I doubt there's a single firm on Wall Street not contractually obligated to work with RIM.
  • @Jayge: yes it is, it was written from the ground up to be used on mobile devices and allow for customizability, multi-tasking, and application installation. it also runs on 40% of smart phones in action today. 

-edit- 

it was smartphone before smartphone became vogue.
  • @bored_and_agitated said:
    " @Jayge: yes it is, it was written from the ground up to be used on mobile devices and allow for customizability, multi-tasking, and application installation. it also runs on 40% of smart phones in action today. "
    If you include Europe and all of the different phone OSs built off of custom Symbian ROMs, maybe.
  • @Jayge: yeah, I meant 40% worldwide. it's definitely MIA here in the states. at&t has the E71x and t-mobile will be getting a cheap S60 5 phone. woo.
  • The rest of the world gets the best phones :-(
  • @Jayge said:

I doubt there's a single firm on Wall Street not contractually obligated to work with RIM. "

RIM is through Blackberry, right? Coca-Cola recently started using Blackberry's and an application specifically designed for Coke to merchandising and ordering. I'm sure more then just Coke use Blackberry's too. I'd even garauntee it but I just can't find anything to source. I know for a fact coca-cola does though, and they are one of the biggest. 

edit : I misread what you said, you were agreeing with me lol. I'll stand down :)
  • Alright that sounds interesting and with the smart phone market becoming more heated some really good products are coming out.

• That's awesome!  Hopefully this will encourage more quality apps.