I need a new keyboard, maybe a gaming keyboard, suggestions?

Created by lil_cheeks on March 15, 2012, 7:15 p.m.
  • I wanted a high quality, normal looking, wired mechanical switch keyboard. I chose the SteelSeries 7G and it does not disappoint. Take a look at their page as there's a lot of info to read, particularly the cherry switch, travel distance and PS/2 port info.

• I find the whole gaming keyboard thing to be rather useless, but if you want macro keys and other such things, they can be beneficial. I personally used a dell keyboard for many years (ps/2 connector). I finally bought myself a new one, which is a logitech k120. It's about as bare-bones as you get with a usb keyboard. I'd recommend either a Logitech G series keyboard, or go with steel series keyboard as suggested by the previous poster if you really want extra features.

• i'm not a fan of gaming keyboard as most look ridiculous (logitech g series) or are overpriced ( razer, steelseries etc ), i like simple laptop style cherry keyboards that are about 15€ or the logitech illuminated keyboard for about 50€ if it has to be backlit.

• I got a Logitech G110 which I like. Its got 12 macro keys and adjustable (color and brightness) backlighting

• I have the older G15 keyboard, but i must say I love the little display on top.

There's plenty of apps that can display information on it on your system. I use the MSI Afterburner app to see my GPU temp, load% and fan speed. Oh...it also displays FPS (frames per second).

Its super helpful for GPU overclocking and figuring out what are the max settings for different games.

You can also use other apps that show CPU temps/ load%...

You'll be happy if you get the G19!

• @lil_cheeks: I know that one of the bigger trends in Gaming that is just taking off now is Mechanical keyboards. I don't think any of them are backlit, but you can find a variety of manufacturers that make them. They're very nice and tactile. If glowing letters is a big thing for you, then I'd definitely do that. I think it's standard practice for every PC gamer to have one backlit keyboard.

• I want to get a Das Keyboard but I'm not sure how good they are for games.

I only know to avoid Razer I only hear bad things about their keyboards.
  • @Theresonlyone: you could just get a cherry g80-3000 for about 50 (€), afaik das keyboard is just or almost a relabled cherry g80-3000 :)

• @o5ris: Yeah but that cherry looks quite crappy and old fashioned. i'm half tempted to just use my iMac keyboard on my new gaming rig, I love it.

• Stay far away from the G19, it's a horrible keyboard plagued with issues...

Personally, I prefer slim scissor keys (laptop style, non chiclet keyboard) over mechanical keys, so I went with the Razer Lycosa Mirror Special Edition for my main PC and the Logitech Illuminated keyboard for my workstation, both are great, slim, backlit keyboards (seems as though there aren't many slim backlit keyboards out there), but I prefer the Razer Lycosa over the Logitech Illuminated keyboard... Better key response, quieter, backlight isn't too bright and the great software, the only thing I don't like about the Lycosa is the fact that it's glossy, it's a fingerprint magnet, I'm always cleaning the damn thing.

The original Lycosa had a few issues (which you might have heard about), but the newer version (glossy) doesn't have these issues anymore, they were all fixed with the new revision...
  • @Theresonlyone:

yeah, seems like they did a bit of redesign, is still remember the "original" das keyboard :)

• I'd probably go with a Logitech G series or a keyboard like the Das Keyboard/Steelseries 7G if you really want a gaming board.

I personally like having just a good all around keyboard, which many of the nicer gaming boards are, but I personally prefer the Microsoft keyboards that are more ergonomic. Right now I'm using an older curved wireless comfort keyboard, but when I build a new PC, I'll be grabbing the split design Ergo 4000 that Will reviewed a long time ago at MaximumPC, and that has been on their Best of the Best list for years.

• Logitech Illuminated for an all around keyboard. Or their new solar powered one. For a gaming keyboard, I am less knowledgeable, but the Razer Black Widow that they reviewed on this site seems good. I love all of Razer's products, so that just might be my opinion, man.

• @Xsheps said:

Logitech Illuminated for an all around keyboard. Or their new solar powered one. For a gaming keyboard, I am less knowledgeable, but the Razer Black Widow that they reviewed on this site seems good. I love all of Razer's products, so that just might be my opinion, man.

I would not recommend the Logitech Illuminated. It has poor build quality and will start to feel cheap and loose after a year or so.

Also, I wouldn't recommend a "gaming" keyboard. Just find a good keyboard that you feel comfortable with and it should suffice for everything else.

• If you are looking for the best gaming keyboard, then I will suggest you go through the website keyboardbattle they provide you with large tools for comparing and choosing the right gaming keyboard. This site also helps me choose the perfect keyboard. And I am sure you will also find the best gaming keyboard according to your need.

Please go through the link: http://keyboardbattle.com/

• I think I require a new keyboard as the iTunes cannot be controlled by the keyboard and then I checked https://itunessupport.org/blog/cannot-install-itunes-on-windows-7/ to know about the solution. Please help me with the problem.