PC shutting down while playing games

Created by snide on March 15, 2012, 6:40 p.m.
  • @snide: Get a mac
  • I'd suggest just checking the thermal solution on the CPU. If you need to upgrade then awesome, if you can live with just replacing the solution then even better. The simple solution is removing the side panel and letting more air enter and escape the system. But this means you'll have noise and dust problems and if you're anything like the bachelor I am, hoovering and dusting is never a job we enjoy.
  • @snide: sounds like an overheating issue. I would personally check the temperature on the HSF/CPU with a digital thermometer (most acurate results naturally) and go from there. If it is overheating then reapplication of paste (i reccomend MX-2) would be a good idea. If it reoccurs you might need a better cooling solution such as an aftermarket (or Better aftermarket) HSF. 

If none of these work then it's probably an instability issue most likely caused by the motherboard itself or possibly the RAM. would have to run diagnostics and stress testing to be sure.
  • @LiquidPrince said:
    " @coonce: What's a mac? "

• Overheating I presume, like everybody else has said.

• I'm going out on a limb and say that you'll probably need to apply new thermal paste.
  • not too long ago i ran into a similar problem.

after a couple of minutes of playing some games or a movie, my computer would shut down.
     I figured out that it was due to my fans starting up and not having enough power.

I pulled up some utilities, lowered the temperature and voltage of my fans and now everything is running smoothly.

this probably isnt a very good permanent fix though :P
  • Just a follow up. My idle cpu temp is around 58C so I'm guessing it's more than likely my CPU. Went ahead and picked up a Zalman heatsink/fan. Likely an overkill for this problem but apparently these guys work on the newer chips as well and so when I eventually need to upgrade (on a core 2 quad now) at least I'll be able to carry it over. Also picked up some new thermal paste as well. 

When I get everything in later this week I'll take some pics and give some before/after results. This is the first time I've ever had to use the non-generic cpu fans. I've never been much of an over-clocker.
  • @snide said:

"

Just a follow up. My idle cpu temp is around 58C so I'm guessing it's more than likely my CPU. Went ahead and picked up a Zalman heatsink/fan. Likely an overkill for this problem but apparently these guys work on the newer chips as well and so when I eventually need to upgrade (on a core 2 quad now) at least I'll be able to carry it over. Also picked up some new thermal paste as well.  When I get everything in later this week I'll take some pics and give some before/after results. This is the first time I've ever had to use the non-generic cpu fans. I've never been much of an over-clocker. "
    I saw you post about this on twitter. OCing isn't hard so I expect you could get a decent performance boost because of the fan/heatsink. Looking forward to the pictures.
  • @snide: 
    I had a similar experience, and went pretty much the same route. I hope you had a better mounting experience than I did. The weight of my fan alone scared me from ever leaving it upright. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much cooler your pc will run.
  • Mine did the same thing with Left 4 Dead and there was no overheating problems. I never figured out what it was, but it only did it during that game. So it's not necessarily overheating. 
  •  
    It's overheating. Test your hardware with better/bigger fans/cooling and see if the same issues happen. For starters, probably taking the side off your case and stuff like that. 

If the problems are still happening, you'll want to start running tests on other bits of your hardware. Prime candidates for that kind of problem are motherboard and RAM, but really I think overheating is the most likely problem here.

• @snide: Those are excellent aftermarket heatsink fans. good choice! 

even if you arn't overclocking snide i always reccomend an aftermarket HSF just because CPUs these days run so damn hot... and i'm from London! it must get a lot warmer down there in sunny California. Especially if you upgrade later to an i7. Those things can run at 80 degrees celcius or higher under load with the stock heat sink. it's a wonder intel lets them out of the factory!