What do do / plan to do with your life?

Created by NoDeath on March 15, 2012, 6:31 p.m.
  • You knew it was coming. Its invasive, personal question time!

So yeah, as the title says. Basically what do you do / want to do as a career to support your sorry existence as you shuffle through this mortal coil and where are you on your path to getting there. This isn't necessarily what job you have now, but it has to be an attainable goal.

I'm currently going to college doing a course on video game programming with the goal of developing them. Its what I've wanted to do since I was 12 years old and I've strived to achieve the goal pretty consistently since then. The course itself has been great. It focuses strongly on practical exercises to teach us and its good to be taught by someone with actual industry experience. 

So anyway, what about you guys?

Edit: FUCK! Title should say "What do you do / plan to do with your life?"
  • your title says "do do" in it 

As of nao, I work 3 jobs (best buy, university of wisconsin IT, and tutoring economics), and I'm also a full time student. I have a degree in economics and I'm still working on my degrees in math and philosophy. As soon as I complete those I'll apply for grad school for economics at either NYU, University of Chicago, or Oxford. Then hopefully I'll teach economics some day. 
  • Right now I'm trying to build up a film portfolio so I can get in to Ryerson University. Ideally I get that done, learn some awesome stuff about film for four years, then get out start making films and doing what I enjoy. Though realistically, if I do make it in to the industry, I'll be fetching actors' coffee for a couple years before I get to do any real work.
  • @lilburtonboy7489:  
    Fuck I didn't notice that until you pointed it out, I am still laughing, ah, to be juvenile.   

I am an Inwards Supervisor at a Printing and Assembly manufacturing plant,  
    We create packaging that entice consumers to buy our customers products, We study what colours attract people and find new and innovative ways to make packaging,  
    Because as you know, people always judge the cover, 

Or I could have said I work at a box factory,     
  • I did IT support for a while, then got laid off during a round of downsizing. Right now I'm doing building automation and energy management while I'm working on my CCNA and Security+ certs. Eventually I'd like to get a CISSP and do white hat hacking and pen testing.
  • I'm going to college as an English major. I hope to write for a movie or video game focused website/magazine/trade journal/etc when it's all said and done. I write screenplays as a hobby;I doubt that I'll actually get into the business, but that's an idea. 

I would also like to marry the woman of my dreams, have a runt or two and own a mini-arcade in my home consisting of The House of the Dead 2, a Donkey Kong/Mario Bros hybrid, a Pac-Man/Ms. Pac Man/Galaga hybrid, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, and a pinball machine, either Terminator 2 or Funhouse.
  • It's really bad, but I'm 20 years old and I don't know what I want to do. I had planned to do something sciencey because I was doing a degree in Chemical & Pharmaceutical Sciences. But I failed that, and now I'm not sure. I'm currently doing a training course in customer service & call centres which is what I am currently hoping to get a job in. It seems interesting, and think it'll be great working in customer services for a while, but I don't think it's something I want to spend the rest of my life doing.
  • Live fast, die young. And by that I mean that I still have no idea what I intend to do.
  • I plan to find something I moderately enjoy that will pay enough to facilitate the pursuit of actual things I like doing. Maybe with a lady companion, maybe not. Very well planned out, yes?
  • Graduate and ill see what happens after that.
  • well, I want to work in a job that pays well, so that I can retire and go back to school and get all the impractical degrees i'm shunning right now. Roman History? yes please. Linguistics? I'll take two. 

my current major is computer engineering. one of the perks of the field is that I actually like fiddling with electronic doohickeys. I may have found my calling. 

also: I would like to not die alone, please send one female friend who i can make googly eyes at and spend time arguing over what color duvet cover goes best with the hardwood flooring.
  • Mmm.. Do do xD  

Right, what you do you I life? Nothing at the moment, but Im applying for a BA: CG artist. Actually have to do that in the next couple of days.
  • I want to be a video game journalist like the Giant Bomb staff.
  • Currently going to graduate school in Japan.  

After that, I'd like to work in either: 
    Translation/Interpretation 
    Localization 
    Diplomacy 

in order of ambition, least to highest.
  • @MattyFTM said:
    "I'm currently doing a training course in customer service & call centres which is what I am currently hoping to get a job in. It seems interesting, and think it'll be great working in customer services for a while, but I don't think it's something I want to spend the rest of my life doing. "
    Prepare yourself for the horrors of corporate call metrics and gating schemes.

I used to work in a tech support call center until I was let go. Currently I have no job and am looking for a one in anything but retail.
  • @MattyFTM said:
    " It's really bad, but I'm 20 years old and I don't know what I want to do. I had planned to do something sciencey because I was doing a degree in Chemical & Pharmaceutical Sciences. But I failed that, and now I'm not sure. I'm currently doing a training course in customer service & call centres which is what I am currently hoping to get a job in. It seems interesting, and think it'll be great working in customer services for a while, but I don't think it's something I want to spend the rest of my life doing. "
    If only to get you to deal with the poor, poor souls on the other side of the line in a less aggressive manner. I'm tempted to quote Conrad's cliched "the horror... the horror..." but I think it'll be more fun if you get the job and then post about how insane it drives you about 6 months from now.
  • Well, my ideal lifestyle would be that of a musician, playing bass...  It'd be great to make my living doing one of the few things I really enjoy. 

If that doesn't work out, I'd look for a career in 3D animation, or graphic art. 

No matter what I do with my life, I definitely want it to be something creative.

• I am currently studying Communications Theory as my undergrad but hope to get a maters degree in Film or in Sound Design.