Sleep-inducing songs

Created by JJWeatherman on March 15, 2012, 6:46 p.m.
  • I'm currently trying to make a music playlist that I can play while I fall asleep. I'm having a hard time choosing songs to help relax me so I thought to ask some other people.

What kinds of songs do you guys listen to to relax, or preferably fall asleep? I'll take any suggestions, doesn't matter what genre. That's kinda the point of me making this anyways, to come up with some relaxing songs I would never even think of myself.

Again, any suggestions would be great.    : )
  • Enya - Wild child is quite relaxing. There is lots of other Enya songs as well, but I can't remember their name off the top of my head
  • @JJWeatherman:  I would say most of Radiohead's In Rainbows also I would suggest Animal Collectives Merriweather Post Pavilion
  • @JJWeatherman: 
    I recommend Jesu and Explosions in the Sky. Many of their songs are very relaxing.
  • @MonkeyGekko: That's a good one.

@CableKid:
    I actually have In Rainbows somewhere around here. I'll try to find it and rip it to my computer. I've actually never heard Animal Collective before but I just listened to some previews and it sounds pretty good.
  • @JJWeatherman:Yeah there pretty good also you should try DJ Shadow In Tune and On Time and The Avalanches Since I Left You, I use to crash hard to those albums.
  • If you keep falling asleep to the same songs, you'll learn to hate them. Happened to a guy I knew.
  • most of Arai Akino's songs, while beautiful are very soothing and sleep-inducing. 

Other electornica that is very ambient works as well.  I've used some Final Fantasy piano collections for the purpose, but I have to be careful about what songs specifically.  
  • @extremeradical said:
    " If you keep falling asleep to the same songs, you'll learn to hate them. Happened to a guy I knew. "
    That's why I'm trying to build up a large playlist. That way I can set it on shuffle and never really feel like I'm listening to the same playlist.

BTW, thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll be checking them all out and adding them in if I already own them or buying a few if I like them.
  • @MonkeyGekko said:
    " Enya - Wild child is quite relaxing. There is lots of other Enya songs as well, but I can't remember their name off the top of my head "
    Enya is soooooo weeeeird man. 

I used to have a bad habit of falling asleep when listening to the Giant Bombcast. Not that it's boring, mind you.
  • @natetodamax: Man I just knew someone would comment on it xD
  • @JJWeatherman: I just remembered Two Steps from Hell - Perchance to Dream
  • From Pink Floyd: 
    • A Pillow of Winds 
    • If 
    • Fat Old Sun
    • Speak to Me/Breathe
    • Cluster One
    • Marooned
    • Crying Song
    • Burning Bridges

All of these are pretty mellow.
  • @natetodamax said:
    " @MonkeyGekko said:
    " Enya - Wild child is quite relaxing. There is lots of other Enya songs as well, but I can't remember their name off the top of my head "
    Enya is soooooo weeeeird man.  I used to have a bad habit of falling asleep when listening to the Giant Bombcast. Not that it's boring, mind you. "
    I was actually doing that just last Bombcast. It's funny too because I was really tired (it was like 4am) and I was listening to Rich pretend to be Vinny and I was thinking how weird Vinny sounded on this episode. I was so tired I couldn't even put the pieces together until Ryan just called it out, lol. I then listened to it again the next day though so that I could actually pay attention. I'll probably go back and listen to that one again at some point too cause Rich is too awesome to only listen to once every year or so. I need more Rich!   :P
  • @JJWeatherman said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @MonkeyGekko said:
    Enya is soooooo weeeeird man.  I used to have a bad habit of falling asleep when listening to the Giant Bombcast. Not that it's boring, mind you. "
    I was actually doing that just last Bombcast. It's funny too because I was really tired (it was like 4am) and I was listening to Rich pretend to be Vinny and I was thinking how weird Vinny sounded on this episode. I was so tired I couldn't even put the pieces together until Ryan just called it out, lol. I then listened to it again the next day though so that I could actually pay attention. I'll probably go back and listen to that one again at some point too cause Rich is too awesome to only listen to once every year or so. I need more Rich!   :P "
    I was actually listening to an episode and fell asleep after about 10 minutes. I woke up suddenly sometime later, looked at my iPod, and saw that it was in the middle of the next Bombcast. So I managed to listen to one Bombcast and a half but I didn't hear any of it.
  • @natetodamax said: 
    I used to have a bad habit of falling asleep when listening to the Giant Bombcast. Not that it's boring, mind you. "

I'll have to +1 this, the Bombcast does me in if I listen to it in my bed at night.
  • @david said:
    " From Pink Floyd: 
    • Speak to Me/Breathe"
    I'm pretty sure that transition would wake most people up screaming themselves. I'll also throw in:

• Interstellar Overdrive
    • Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
    • Echoes

Although the trippy seagull effects in Echoes will either wake you up or give you some interesting dreams.
  • @ALTF4_FOR_COLORS:  
    Well I guess that song could scratched off the list, but let me tell you, there's nothing like the screams of the dying to put one to sleep.
  • Check out Felix Laband. 
  • @david: 

Might as well listen to them go off to The Great Gig In the Sky.

• I usually put on Pink Floyd and drift into a ridiculous dream. I love it. 
  • Also I should probably add Kobukuro to my list, they can put me to sleep if I'm wide awake on a caffeine binge, and I still like them anyway.  Barcelona is worth note too.
  • This album is the most relaxing thing you will ever hear.
  • There is a couple good songs in the Avatar soundtrack, but I doubt you want to pay $10 for a couple songs.
  • @MAGZine:  
    No, but if you gave us the titles, we could probably grab them off iTunes individually?
  • i don't listen to music while I sleep, I don't want to start associating them with sleep.
  • @natetodamax said:
    " @MonkeyGekko said:

I did fall asleep listening to the bombcast, should listen to it the morning.
  • @JJWeatherman:   
      Dude, check this out, If you like it try this also, 

Called "Dream Pop" for a reason, wicked band.
  • @Addfwyn: I'll listen and find the track names sometime today.

• @lane said:
    " This album is the most relaxing thing you will ever hear. "
    Cool. I just listened to previews of all the tracks on amazon and it sounds like what I'm looking for. Nice album and I definitely wouldn't have found this on my own, so thanks!

Been looking through all the other suggestions too and am liking a lot of them. I'm getting exactly what I wanted out of this thread. Good job guys!  :P