In house made alien artifact...recomendations

Created by bholcomb007 on Jan. 25, 2020, 8:39 p.m.
  • I am about to shoot my first short film (after many years of wanting to start into this realm of art), and in it is an alien artifact that will transport the person to other dimensions (Name of the short is The Device). I envision it somewhat like a remote control that fits into the hand and has the raised buttons on it that are alien glyphs. I have some 1/8" polystyrene sheets and I am cutting out the design for it. The question is, I wanted to make the bottom curved from the front to the back and I have not worked with raw poly before, so is there a good method of bending the bottom piece so I can form it to the curved sides? Is there an episode where Adam works with this medium and forms it?

Any help would be appreciated!

And look for the short on DUST, where I will submit it, and I will have a youtube channel and website for the production company called Eagle Feather Productions.

See you out there!

Thanks!

• A heat gun maybe? Using a shaped piece of wood as a mold.

• That is an excellent idea!

I have seen the "boil the piece" online before but I was looking for something a bit more practical for the thicker styrene I was using. I will give it a go.

• Well, after I got my plastic sheets, I went with your idea, and lo and behold it is going to work out just fine for the bottom of the Alien (Spatial Remote Control) artifact. The flat side will have the 3d printed alien lettering. It warped a bit more than I wanted, but I can fix that with some heat again... and in the end, it is going to be somewhat organic so I am going to be adding fill and such to it as well. Thanks for the go-ahead on the heat gun...it was fun.

Until next time,

Ben

• yeeeeey! Glad to be helpfull. It looks great, hope to see how this evolves