Where to start?

Created by benu204 on July 13, 2014, 6:34 p.m.
  • I've been really interested in making for a while now and when I get around to starting, I never know where to start. Do you have any tips or ideas for a kid with little money who wants to start making.

• Adam suggests finding something you want to own, then figure out how to build it. Wanting the final product is powerful motivation, and knowing what the final product is *supposed* to look like is a good way of pushing yourself to perfect a technique.

I'd suggest either finding a project that builds on a skill you already have, or if you only have access to limited tools.. something relatively simple that you can build a few times without spending too long. You'll probably find pretty quickly that your skills are growing exponentially to start with, so building the same item a few times allows you to quickly see how you're getting better.

And show the results! Feedback is another good motivator :)

• Get a project and build it.

Your first try will probably not meet your expectations, try again until it does.

See how others did something similar on youtube and go for it. Ask someone who has done it before for help.

Money is not a limitation merely a parameter. Don't buy your materials, get creative on scavenging for offcuts.(legally)