3D Printer recommendations.

Created by Mimicry on April 9, 2019, 12:57 a.m.
  • To anyone reading this, I need your help please. I have viewed video after video, but this is the first forum I'm trying, hopefully to reach a final conclusion. I live in South Africa, we are a bit slow on the tech scene here, almost backwards.

What is the best 3D printer to get:

I am using it for design purposes so it needs to be able to cope with detail.

I'm not overly concerned about print time, I will sacrifice that for reliable good end results.

Dual extrusion is preferable, as I want to use PVA for supports.

So far I have looked at:

Lulzbot's TAZ 6

MakerBot's Method (Retardedly expensive)

Ultimaker 3

and Creality's CR10

All these posts are pretty old, some are a few years old. So I'm assuming there are far better machines out there that I haven't found yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Hi Mimicry,

I have a Taz5 that's a few years old, and it's really great.

The setup was easy, the software is easy, and failed prints are rare. Don't under-estimate the joy of seeing the self-level the bed, and self-clean the nozzle before each print :)

I know that isn't on your list, but maybe put that as a +1 in the Lulzbot column.

• Hi Toby

Thanks for the insight, I will definitely keep that in mind.

• I run 3 upgraded Makerbot Replicator 2x's and 2 FFCP's. They may be old but mostly reliable. I have ran them rather rugged almost every day for 5 years. After 2 years the stock plastics for the gantry and carriage will dry rot and crack and become brittle. Fargo 3D sells a great aluminum machined parts to replace them.

I really enjoy the slicer program and the options it has for rafting, infill, support settings.

They are pricey. If I had to recommend a printer in terms of quality, reliability, and price an Ender 5 Pro might be a good choice.