Best place to buy an office/desk chair?

Created by Falcon on March 15, 2012, 6:33 p.m.
  • In the not too distant future I'm finally going to get myself a desk (at the motherland that is Ikea). I will also need a proper chair to go with said desk. But, I have no idea where I should shop for one at. At my Ikea most office chairs are up on a fucking stupid shelf thing, so you can't actually sit in them.

I don't really know of a place that I could go to and actually test out chairs, not just look at them. Like... Staples?

Probably not necessary to add, but looking to spend $150ish, no more than $200.

• @Falcon: I would also check Walmart and Home Depot.

• @Falcon Sam's Club or Costco, though they usually only carry a couple different models
  • @CROM: Wal-mart has like, four chairs at most, and they're all four feet off the ground on a shelf. Also, Home Depot sells more than lawn chairs?

@nickb64: My aunt is a Sam's Club member, so I'll check out what they've got.

• At staples they have chairs you can sit in :) 

I've just taken the chairs off the shelf before at various places lol.  Unless they weren't on a rather high shelf of course :P
  • @WolfOfOne: Well, at Ikea they're all tied down, so I can't take them down if I wanted to. Which I think is a load of fucking horse shit. I'm not buying a chair based on its looks, I'm buying it based on how well it supports my ass (and back).

• @Falcon: ah, that's lame that they have them secured.  I agree, I wouldn't buy a chair w/out sitting on it first!
  • @Falcon said:

@WolfOfOne: Well, at Ikea they're all tied down, so I can't take them down if I wanted to. Which I think is a load of fucking horse shit. I'm not buying a chair based on its looks, I'm buying it based on how well it supports my ass (and back).

This is not true. They have show units on shelves, but the floor also has the same model just on the ground for you to sit in and roll around in.

@WolfOfOne said:

@Falcon: ah, that's lame that they have them secured. I agree, I wouldn't buy a chair w/out sitting on it first!

You can sit in them.

I bought the Verner chair for 65 dollars at IKEA, and it's awesome. Tilts back, great tall back.

I couldn't find anything of comparable value at Staples or Meijer or any of the other stores I looked at.

• @Falcon
    If you happen to have any crafting skills you should consider building your own desk, you get way more desk for mostly the same money (unless you buy an 30 dollar desk). I will post a picture tomorrow or you can look up the show desk setup thread for my current desk (not setup). As for chairs here in holland we have stores that just sell interior stuff for house see if you can find some of those for cheapish but good chairs.
  • @torus: I do recall them having chairs with the various desks on the floor, but they most certainly don't have the same amount on the floor as they do shown up on the shelves.

@JoMate: I'm not handy in the slightest. Besides, I've known exactly the desk I want for a year now. There is literally nothing else I'm willing to get.

• @Falcon said:

@torus: I do recall them having chairs with the various desks on the floor, but they most certainly don't have the same amount on the floor as they do shown up on the shelves.

@JoMate: I'm not handy in the slightest. Besides, I've known exactly the desk I want for a year now. There is literally nothing else I'm willing to get.

Falcon, I was there TODAY (just moved into a new apartment). Every single chair that's on the shelves is on the floor, I can guarantee it.

edit: plus you can buy some delicious meatballs.

• @torus: Woah, jeez, okay bro...

• @Falcon said:

@torus: Woah, jeez, okay bro...

he may have a point about the meatballs

I'm sure it varies from IKEA to IKEA how it's laid out, at least to some degree. I've only been to IKEA like three times in my entire life, the only ones near me are too far away and I haven't really needed anything they sell. I do recall they had delicious food products when I was last there in ~7th grade (I'm in college now, it's been a while)

I know my local Sam's Clubs usually have their chairs on the bottom shelf and they're usually never locked down, at least not at one I've been to. They only have a couple, though. I think there's a leather one and a mesh one, maybe a third slightly fancier leather one. I think the highest price one I've seen is about $150.

• Home Depot doesn't sell desks or chairs, I used to work at one. They sell TV stands, shelves and lounge chairs in winter, but no office stuff.

Ikea is the way to go. I looked absolutely everywhere before settling on ordering stuff from there online. My "desk" I got there isn't actually a desk, but instead is two 30"x60" tables put into a corner configuration. It costed me under $200 and took about 30 minutes to assemble and move my stuff onto. Tons of space and no extraneous shelves to get in the way.

• Wow, this thread has actually made me a bit depressed. I love the chairs my company has at my office (the Herman Miller "Mirra" chair), so I just looked on amazon to see about getting one for home. These things are $600+! I think someone is spending more on our chairs than on our PC's...

• @Baconbot said:

@Falcon: I suggest NOT buying a chair at Staples. My second favorite office chair was one from Ikea. It was super basic but great to sit in.

My mom just gave me her Herman Miller "Aeron" chair which is now my favorite chair.

This thread may be 10 months old but discouraging people from buying chairs at Staples is a never ending war that must be fought. Staples chairs are GARBAGE. I learned that the hard way.

I'm going to order a HON chair soon to replace the terribad Staples chair I have now. I would get a Herman Miller but those are a little too costly for my 16-hours worth of wages a week income. Maybe in summer when I am back to full-time I could get one but I doubt this crappy chair will last that long. The bolt threads are already shot on one of the arms so it falls off constantly. It wasn't my assembly either, it is just that the bolts are made out of something with the compressive strength of peanut butter so they gave out when I was leaning on the arm one day and the whole arm fell off. I'm not even a big dude so it makes it worse.

• Falcon said:

In the not too distant future I'm finally going to get myself a desk (at the motherland that is Ikea). I will also need a proper

office chair to go with said desk. But, I have no idea where I should shop for one at. At my Ikea most office chairs are up on a fucking stupid shelf thing, so you can't actually sit in them.

I don't really know of a place that I could go to and actually test out chairs, not just look at them. Like... Staples?

Probably not necessary to add, but looking to spend $150ish, no more than $200.

Also i have checked some on https://www.amardeepchair.com but it is not delivered to my location

I would say why ikea? I mean it is good but you can get much better if you just order a custom built gaming chair. A decent one would cost $200