ads on websites

Created by wonko33 on March 15, 2012, 6:30 p.m.
  • I was reading Will's tweets last week and I'll give it a try, I've whitelisted this site on my adblocker.  But  I am warning you I better not see a flashing whack a mole to win a price ad ;)

Are you guys considering letting ads come in from sites you like? I'll try doing it when the site is not from a major corporation and if the ads are not too intrusive.
  • I've never understood the apparent rage collectively gathered toward advertisements by the more technically apt.  Advertisements are what keep websites up and running.  They're what pay the salaries of all involved.  I've never gone out of my way to block ads unless they're pop-ups, and I've even gone to a far enough extent that I'll click the Google AdSense links plastered across all manner of personal blog that I like simply to help those guys out.
  • I don't use ad-blockers, I use pop up blockers.  Ad-banners are how sites make money.  If I like the site enough to go there, I WANT them to make money. 

Basically, exactly what Kombat just said.
  • I don't care if Whiskey Media wants add in their websites as long as they are not REALLY annoying, I will support them the best way I can.

But I won't disable adblock because I don't use it just to block ads, there are alot of images that bother me.
  • When the guys integrate ads onto their website it's just cool to look at. It can be weird at first but when they change the color of the wiki for a game to promote I think that's just awesome.
  • We won't have ads on Tested for awhile. As with Giantbomb, we'll try to target high quality items that we hope you're interested in (Dragon Age, BioShock 2, Assassins Creed 2...etc).
  • As long as the website doesn't have any of the following, I'm fine with ads: 
    • Screens that say Click Here to continue to [insert website here] because the dumb people behind the site decided to shove an ad in your face when navigating the site
    • FRIGGIN' EYE BLASTERS!
  • @ZombiePie said:

" When the guys integrate ads onto their website it's just cool to look at. It can be weird at first but when they change the color of the wiki for a game to promote I think that's just awesome. "

This. They're doing a really good job by making the ads interesting and on topic.
  • As long as the ads are not annoying I'm good with it. The Giant Bomb ads are done well.
  • @Kombat said:
    " I've never understood the apparent rage collectively gathered toward advertisements by the more technically apt.  Advertisements are what keep websites up and running.  They're what pay the salaries of all involved.  I've never gone out of my way to block ads unless they're pop-ups, and I've even gone to a far enough extent that I'll click the Google AdSense links plastered across all manner of personal blog that I like simply to help those guys out. "
    It's all about context. I absolutely cannot stand the way Gawker sites do ads, theming the whole site in some advertiser's custom CSS and plopping ads masquerading as posts in the middle of the blog feed. To me, that just says that they don't know their target audience and they're bringing an advertising shotgun to the table. Small, unobtrusive ads relevant to the content I'm reading don't bother me one bit.
  • Im ok with ads, but hate pop ups.

• This actually reminds me that the video player here worked before I white-listed the site on ad-block when the GB one doesn't work when ABP is turned on. Is that just cause you guys haven't set up ads on the video player yet.