Discussion about the iPhone

Created by HypoXenophobia on March 15, 2012, 7:04 p.m.
  • I have an iPod Touch, but when in Japan I use an iPhone, so I can probably comment here. 

-Texting is fine, once you learn to 'trust' the auto-correct feature you USUALLY get pretty good results.  I rarely got wrong inputs, though I do mostly type in landscape format.  When typing, I'm not terribly concerned about seeing a huge amount of the screen, so not worried about how much is covered up.  I vastly vastly prefer software keyboards like this, instead of a dinky little hardware keyboard that makes the device bulkier and is hard to use. 
     -The screen is amazingly durable, unless you are throwing the thing down concrete stairs on a regular basis.  I've dropped mine in the middle of an asphalt street and it doesn't have any scratches.  Smudges exist, but will wipe right off.  This isn't much of a problem. 
    -Yes, the iTunes store is harder to use on the device than on the computer, but it's the best implementation of a portable store you will find still I feel. 

So yeah, there's some merit, but for the most part those problems are pretty negligible.  As for blackberry vs iPhone, how is AT&T in your area?  Also do you do a lot of business/enterprise with your phone or do you prefer a more consumer oriented device?
  • The iPhone is nothing special as a phone. If you have the money, getting an iPod Touch with a phone like the Palm Pre Plus, Nexus One, Droid or any other high-end phone is a much better combination. Sure you have two devices in your pockets, but you're much better off since the actual phone parts on the iPhone aren't that great.
  • I don't need a multimedia device I have my computer and you know what whenever I'm in a public setting listening to music or surfing the net has never felt like a necessity. So I really just need a phone when I'm shopping for phones, and I feel crazy having to clarify that . Unless I somehow win an iPhone in a lottery or raffle I don't imagine myself acquiring and iPhone anytime soon.
  • I <3 my iPod Touch to death. I couldn't live without it.
  • I only have an iPod Touch too, so I can't comment on it's phone capabilities, from what I've seen though I'd be inclined to agree it's sub-par as a phone; but as an mp3 player that does a whole bunch of other stuff I kinda love it.
  • also worth consideration to know what country you are in.  For instance, in Japan I can get an iPhone for free with $20/mo for the handset (with a 2 year contract) which makes it a lot more attractive than the much higher costs in the US.  I hear those in the UK get it even worse than US does.

• @Paul said:
    " @choffy21 said:
    " The iPhone is nothing special as a phone. If you have the money, getting an iPod Touch with a phone like the Palm Pre Plus, Nexus One, Droid or any other high-end phone is a much better combination. Sure you have two devices in your pockets, but you're much better off since the actual phone parts on the iPhone aren't that great. "
    Specify please? What "phone parts"? "
    The antenna, the call quality, the contact book, the texting app...