Why no shared log-in with giant bomb?

Created by pavakah on March 15, 2012, 6:50 p.m.
  • I think a shared log-in between all of the Whiskey Media sites is an incredible idea.  Someone should take it to the boys upstairs, though I'm sure it's already crossed their minds.
  • My best guess is, is that Whiskey's goal is to build separate communities for all their sites, with a separate points ecosystem... but maybe they can answer this question better and give their actual reasons. 

They also have more than just these 2 sites.  Here's all the Whiskey Media sites that I know about: ComicVine.com (Comics), AnimeVice.com (Anime), GiantBomb.com (Video Games), Tested (Tech/Gadgets).  

Heck, it also may just be technically too hard.  ComicVine.com, for instance if I remember correctly, started as a PHP site with a completely different database product/schema, and had to be converted to Python/Django/PostgreSQL to match the rest of the sites.  They supposedly also had a political site, but that never came to be completely. 
  • @Luke said:
    " My best guess is, is that Whiskey's goal is to build separate communities for all their sites, with a separate points ecosystem... but maybe they can answer this question better and give their actual reasons. 

They also have more than just these 2 sites.  Here's all the Whiskey Media sites that I know about: ComicVine.com (Comics), AnimeVice.com (Anime), GiantBomb.com (Video Games), Tested (Tech/Gadgets).  "
    Woah! You did not just call this a "gadget" site. Read this my friend. Gadget is a dirty work here. :P

Also, the ones you listed are all of the Whiskey sites.
  • @Luke: I believe the political site you're referring to still exists, but it wasn't a Whiskey site.  I think it was just designed by them as an outsourced project for another company.
  • @JJWeatherman said:

" @Luke said:

" My best guess is, is that Whiskey's goal is to build separate communities for all their sites, with a separate points ecosystem... but maybe they can answer this question better and give their actual reasons. 

They also have more than just these 2 sites.  Here's all the Whiskey Media sites that I know about: ComicVine.com (Comics), AnimeVice.com (Anime), GiantBomb.com (Video Games), Tested (Tech/Gadgets).  "

Woah! You did not just call this a "gadget" site. Read this my friend. Gadget is a dirty work here. :P  Also, the ones you listed are all of the Whiskey sites. "
    Crap, this is started to sound like my friend, where if I called his Helio a "phone" he'd bitch me out and say, "don't call it a phone!"  

• I would be an interesting feature but I like it this way much more, like Luke said, every site has it's own comminity and it's good to have a fresh start, all the other websites together have many many users.
  • While I think it'd be great, cause I already use the same login for all three WM sites I use (uh-oh, hope nobody finds out my password) It'd be too hard to implement now.  You may have people that already overlap in logins between different sites. 

It'd be great to have shared profile stuff, even if things like post-counts/points/etc. are not shared.
  • Dave tweeted "It's on the roadmap!" in reply to "giantbomb, tested, comicvine, etc. logins should be universal" yesterday. So universal whiskey login is something they've got planned. But at this point I imagine it will be a logistical nightmare to sort out, so good luck to the engineers when they finally try to do it.
  • One way to do it would be, instead of the same users in every site, each site with it's individual community but with the option if you want to sync your account with your other accounts or "copy" you account from other site when you are registering.
  • Looking forward to seeing this feature if Dave says it's on the roadmap. I imagine it will be some sort of overarching account to which you can connect all your other ID's - this is typically how other multi-site networks do things.
  • @MattyFTM:  Oh that's awesome!  Thanks for the update. 

One easy thing they can do, is just make our logins be our email address.  As for what to do about User Names, I'm not really sure, but I don't even care if I have to use my real name, as anonymity is what makes the internet have so many douche bags anyway.  
  • Oh man I think that would just be a nightmare for the guys running the site. Having links to my GB profile and other profiles for Whiskey Media sites would be much appreciated though.
  • It will probably eventually come.

• That would be totally awesome so I don't have to keep switching back and forth between all of the sites. I hope this feature is implemented in the future.