Favorite Keyboard?

Created by Th3_James on March 15, 2012, 6:40 p.m.
  • The one built into my laptop.
  • @Th3_James: I got that keyboard as well, and like you said, it is so comfortable. Best keyboard I've ever owned.

• @Th3_James: We almost all use the long/wired apple keyboard at the office. Love the way the keys hit. 

• @snide: We have these at my school too. It's a luxury to use, really. Especially coming from my horrid laptop keyboard.
  • I use the G15 2nd gen, although I got to say that I do really still want a DAS keyboard. 

It's all about the keys and how they feel though. This keyboard allows me to hit nearly 90WPM - which I certainly can't do on other keyboards.
  • @ArchScabby said:
    " The one built into my laptop. "
    This, I guess.
  • I like the apple bluetooth wireless keyboard a lot, just because I hate wires and I love the simple aesthetic of the keyboard a lot.
  • The original Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro is still my favorite of all time, though it's been long out of production.  

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-B61-00002-Natural-Keyboard-Pro/dp/B00002JXFH    
  • I can't stand that Mac chiclet keyboard. I need the resistance and noise of a physical keyboard to make any kind of computing worth anything. I can make do on laptops and netbooks since those never have perfect keyboards anyway but don't try and shoehorn that into my desktop environment :-( 

That said I have a fairly mediocre Logitech G15 which I really should look into replacing sometime this summer.
  • The one that comes "attached" to my keyboard is kind of nice...I am just saying.
  • IBM Model M! I was once chastised at a previous job because I typed "intimidatingly." One of those with 100 wpm IS pretty damn loud.
  • I use a Mercs gaming keyboard. It's decent.
  • @erinfizz said:
    " IBM Model M! I was once chastised at a previous job because I typed "intimidatingly." One of those with 100 wpm IS pretty damn loud. "
    That's a classic. I could listen to that thing all day long. But I like the sound of keyboards clacking, so I'm weird I guess.
  • @cide: I could get behind that idea if only for the remainder of my High School senior career to avoid detection by teachers when I decide I already know what they're teaching and sneak on to lurk Reddit. 

Also, incidentally, knowing the root photo used for your avatar, I'm both disturbed and impressed by how safe for work you've made it.
  • @ArchScabby said:
    " The one built into my laptop. "
    I concur.

•  
    According to the bottom of my keyboard, it's a Logitech LX710. Well... it's a keyboard. Also pictured: my beat to hell computer desk.
  • @snide said:
    "
    "
    I really want this, does anyone know what it is called.
  • @Berserk said:

" @snide said:

"

"
    I really want this, does anyone know what it is called. "
    It's called " Apple Keyboard " Link to numpad model
  • @Jayge:  
    My brother is the same way, I'm curious...what exactly is the appeal to a loud clacking keyboard?  I'm not asking out of spite, I actually want to know, cause I've never really been able to determine it myself.  I rather like my typing to be quiet, so I can hear everything else I'm doing at the same time (be it podcasts or music).  Is there something cathartic about having a noisy keyboard? 

My biggest problem with the apple keyboard is that I find even that almost too noisy.  If I could get a full software/touch based keyboard for my desktop that made zero noise, I'd probably do that (sadly, I don't know of any such device)
  • @Th3_James said:
    "@Berserk said:

" @snide said:

"

"
    I really want this, does anyone know what it is called. "
    It's called " Apple Keyboard " Link to numpad model "

Thats great, now to buy one.
  • @Addfwyn: if you have a keyboard with mechanical switches, like the IBM Model M or the Das Professional, then you have audio feedback as well as tactile. If you hear a click, then the key has been pressed, otherwise no key press was detected. I type on a soft, rubber dome keyboard (every keyboard out there except for those laptop style scissor key boards), and sometimes I press a key and the computer doesn't catch it, or I rest my finger on a key and don't realize i pressed it, but the key press was registered. 

with mechanical switches, it you feel the spring buckle, and hear a loud clack, then you can be dead certain the key was pressed. that helps keep track of key presses and whatever when touch typing.
  • @Addfwyn said:
    " @Jayge:  My brother is the same way, I'm curious...what exactly is the appeal to a loud clacking keyboard?  I'm not asking out of spite, I actually want to know, cause I've never really been able to determine it myself.  I rather like my typing to be quiet, so I can hear everything else I'm doing at the same time (be it podcasts or music).  Is there something cathartic about having a noisy keyboard?  My biggest problem with the apple keyboard is that I find even that almost too noisy.  If I could get a full software/touch based keyboard for my desktop that made zero noise, I'd probably do that (sadly, I don't know of any such device) "
    Yeah, basically. For a few years when I was a baby/toddler my mom worked at home all the time and she was constantly typing shit, so I guess I grew to like it. There's also the reason that Bored said, and the fact that hearing clicks like a machine gun firing when you're typing 95+ words per minute is awesome.

• I used to have a Razer keyboard that was real nice but it stopped working right about a year ago. Right now I have a kinda standard wireless Microsoft ergonomic one. I also really like the one in my laptop. It has a really nice feel and sound to it but what I really like about it is that it has a great font on the keys that's not the normal one you see on keyboards. Kinda a weird thing to like I know.