Revisiting Half-Life after 17 years

Created by JamesNZ on April 7, 2015, 3:28 a.m.
  • 17 years since it was released? Ugh that makes me feel old. I remember it coming out like it was yesterday...

I re-played Half Life 2 late last year so decided to give the original another try as I never actually completed it. I just finished it this weekend and I'm glad I stuck with it.

Yes the graphics are ancient, the physics can be iffy and there's not much of a story... but it very much brought up feelings of being isolated, scared and alone... which was neat to get that immersed in a game. This was a huge milestone in gaming back in the day.

It took me about 10-11 hours to get through.

Anyone else played it (or its variants or spin-offs) recently?

• I got the Half-Life Bundle from Steam a few months ago so I have been working my way through the first one when I get the time. I started working more hours which took away from gaming, but what I have seen so far, I love the game.

• @Alt Where might one find this mod? At the very least I would like to see how they worked all the mechanics out and stuff.

• Interesting. I played Half Life: Source, expecting it to look like Half Life 2 :P ... it didn't. But that was ok.

I'll have a look at Black Mesa and see what it's like.

• Definitely. I am the kind of person that has to play games in order so I don't miss any details they put in previous games. It takes me awhile to get through most series because of this. I can't wait to finish Half Life because the series is so immersive.

• Anybody who has put anytime into playing any Half-Life game and enjoyed it should look into Black Mesa. I was big into the modding scene in the early 2000s so after Source became available and Black Mesa officially started development (under the name Half Life Source before Valve reclaimed it) I followed the project very closely and it certainly delivered.

I'm looking forward to its eventual retail release.

• @TwinkleTwinkie: Is there any idea on when it will be released for retail?

• Loved that game! Played it again a few months ago. Finished it, but have to admit I use no_clip on one level after being lost for hours :-)
    Was very active online as well. Half-Life Deatchmatch, Team Fortress, Day of Defeat, Natural Selection and Counterstrike of course!
    Well in to some European matches/championships. Too bad back then you didn't get a million bucks for winning a championship :-)

• I recently finished Black Mesa. You can purchase it on Steam Early Access right now. The retail version will have some features that the free mod version will not. Details here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/?snr=1_7_15__13

I would also highly suggest watching Freeman's Mind on YouTube on Accursed Farm's channel. It's incredibly entertaining. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6PNZBb6b9LvDWpI-5CPYUxG1Rnm-vr9V

• Back when I was 12 or so, I would watch my brother (who was in high school) play the old Half Life game. At the time our family's computer was next to a closet, which is where I would hide so that my parents wouldn't see me up past my bedtime. Watching him blow up aliens with a shotgun and the cheesy scientists run around was awesome as a 12 year old. But, that game gave me nightmares like no other experience has. I still get a little thrill when I play it.

• @cowgod said:

I recently finished Black Mesa. You can purchase it on Steam Early Access right now. The retail version will have some features that the free mod version will not. Details here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/?snr=1_7_15__13

I would also highly suggest watching Freeman's Mind on YouTube on Accursed Farm's channel. It's incredibly entertaining. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6PNZBb6b9LvDWpI-5CPYUxG1Rnm-vr9V

Ah I think I came across that a couple of years ago... Back when it was just a pet project or some modern (unless I'm getting confused). I'll have to pick up a copy and give it a play through. I never expected it to get finished.