Minecraft!: The Tested.com Community Minecraft Server Thread HD Perfect

Created by evil_gordita on Dec. 31, 2013, 8:02 p.m.
  • thanks a lot Gordita, your a star :)

• @Tashi said:

@WolfOfOne, despite the recent controversy regarding Mojang condemning the monetizing of server subscriptions -- thus reminding us that although Minecraft is a great sandbox platform, it is still a game made by a privately owned company -- it still remains a community building tool and one provides an outlet for creative expression.

There have indeed been many additions to the game. Check out the wiki for details on new and exiting things. Also, feel free to pop on and I can show you some of the new stuff.

Banning server monetization seems extremely short sighted, does Mojang not realize servers cost money to operate and time to maintain? 0.0

EDIT: Speaking of that, I see that the server is now $133/yr and due November 7th, how are we handling donations these days? I haven't been on much but will do what I can to help keep it alive!

• Is this server still active?

• @DigitalDJ: Yes it is!

• Awesome, thanks!

• @WolfOfOne: They didn't ban server monetization outright, only in certain situations were people can receive gameplay changing perks. They allow you to charge for full access as long as it's applied evenly across the board or for things that don't have gameplay ramifications (purely cosmetic items basicly). And of course they allow for donations.

Currently, we aren't handling donations; this is all out of my pocket. Accepting donations is super easy though. NFO has a form that I can link to that as long as you make a payment there, the amount you donate is applied directly to the hosting bill.

• @evil_gordita said:

or for things that don't have gameplay ramifications (purely cosmetic items basicly).

Actually, I'm not completely sure on this. I'd need to go back and reread the posts I had read. Pretty sure you can't sell in-game items for real currency at the very least.

• On most servers using the Tardis Bukkit plugin, those who 'Donate' are granted access to it. In most cases this is the servers primary feature. With no access to Bukkit /tp features, it provides the only significant method of transportation -- not to mention the other awesome things about the plugin. While you have free access to Vanilla Minecraft on these servers, they've effectively monetized they're main advertised perk; which I find unfair. On the server I DO play on, that uses the plugin, all players are given access to the plugin, but bigger / more elaborate ship designs are given to players who donate.

In other words: Thank you @evil_gordita for providing free access to the server, and for not requiring donations for access to Bukkit features. :)

That said, I would personally like to make a Donation, toward hosting costs. How can I do that?

• @Tashi said:

While you have free access to Vanilla Minecraft on these servers, they've effectively monetized they're main advertised perk; which I find unfair.

Right. This is one of the main sticking points for Mojang, hence the EULA clarifications that had resulted in controversy. Something that Notch (I think) had pointed out was that this had come about because someone had asked Mojang support if this was okay and he also pointed out that maybe if you wanted to do something not allowed (legally), then maybe don't draw attention to it. (cough nudge nudge wink wink).

@Tashi said:

That said, I would personally like to make a Donation, toward hosting costs. How can I do that?

It's not going to hurt for me to link it at least. Donations for server hosting go here. As long as I continue to host the server with Nuclear Fallout, this link will always be active. All donations are collected directly by Nuclear Fallout.

• @coopdegra I submitted an application for the server yesterday. @Tashi suggested that I should shoot you a reminder on the forum.

Thanks!

• @bshort: @Lorhan87@Dominion Welcome to the server guys, you are all set, have Fun!

• @coopdegra you just missed me today: I was making a sammich. You should come back on and help with the stadium construction.

• I just joined the server! Let me know when I can begin building.

• @Fairaday: Welcome to the server, sorry about the wait, you are all set.

• Welcome to the server @Fairaday!

• Thanks @Tashi!

• @Fairaday: @Tashi: I see how it is

• I can't wait to stop by sometime soon. Summer's coming to a close here and it's a bit bitter sweet. The prospect of speaking and playing with you all again is exciting!

• @coopdegra: My bad. I was looking around the other night, and Tashi was on, so we were talking a little. Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll try to be on for a little bit later tonight!

• @JeffreyGee: Radical!

@Fairaday: I was just foolin :P, I'm just glad to see people still joining the server.

• Just discovered this and have submitted a request for activation on the server (username: kitfrog).

When are people usually online? Anyone in UK/Europe timezone?

• Welcome @padraig!

I'm sittin' here in Mountain time, 7 hours behind UK. I pop on when I have 20 minutes to spare; which sometimes means every day, but at random times. To satisfy the international members, I submit that we set 8:00/9:00 a.m. (PDT/MST) - 3:00/4:00 p.m. (BST/CEST) as a popular server time, and also 3:00/4:00 p.m. (PDT/MST) 10:00/11:00 p.m. (BST/CEST). The first is perhaps early enough that in the West we haven't left for work, and in Europe you've perhaps arrived home from work. The second, people in the West have arrived home, and in Europe you're hopefully still awake. haha

• Thanks @Tashi. I'll try to get on for around 10pm BST although I'm usually asleep by then during the week as I start pretty early (5.30am :-( ).

• Hi from Australia. Pretty stoked to see that the Tested community has a Minecraft server :D

I have signed up and logged on as required. Just waiting to be promoted.

My username is Sentura in game, i'm really into redstone, so if you see me on give me a shout :)

• @Sentura: Welcome. You should be good to go.

• oh hey, 1.8 came out today

• Indeed @zmaster! So exciting. Hey@evil_gordita, when do you think we'll be switched over?

• @Tashi: When Bukkit releases a reasonably stable version of course. Or I could set up vanilla with a temporary map.

• Oh shoot, of course, didn't think of Bukkit! No worries, I'm fine with waiting, I've been checking out 1.8 on a single player map. That said, I'd be fine with a temporary vanilla map. I don't have any projects I need to work on right away(not sure about anyone else). Thanks @evil_gordita!

• @zmaster: Damn, my timing is impeccable.