WASD or ESDF? What's your poison?

Created by garetjax on March 15, 2012, 7:05 p.m.
  • @extremeradical said:
    " @cowgod said:
    " if you guys think ESDF is crazy, you're going to want to put me in the loony bin--i use WASF.  it all started in the days of quake, when i finally graduated from keyboard only to mouse + keyboard.  unfortunately, my mouse did not have a scroll wheel, and that game required very fast weapon switching.  hence, i decided to move the right movement key over one--from D to F--so that D would switch to the previous weapon and G to the next.  thus, a habit was born and the rest, of course, is history.  
     So do you have some kind of built in left bias now? I'd be strafing left all the goddamn time if the right key was a whole key away from the down key. "
    absolutely not.  i'm used to it and can hold my own with the big boys decent enough (left 4 dead is my fps of choice at the moment).
  • @cide said:
    "
    "
    Win or fail?
  • @cowgod said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " @cowgod said:
    " if you guys think ESDF is crazy, you're going to want to put me in the loony bin--i use WASF.  it all started in the days of quake, when i finally graduated from keyboard only to mouse + keyboard.  unfortunately, my mouse did not have a scroll wheel, and that game required very fast weapon switching.  hence, i decided to move the right movement key over one--from D to F--so that D would switch to the previous weapon and G to the next.  thus, a habit was born and the rest, of course, is history.  
     So do you have some kind of built in left bias now? I'd be strafing left all the goddamn time if the right key was a whole key away from the down key. "
    absolutely not.  i'm used to it and can hold my own with the big boys decent enough (left 4 dead is my fps of choice at the moment). "
    Still, to an outsider looking in, it sounds completely nuts.
  • @MonkeyGekko said:
    " I've always used WASD. I heard about a lot of people using ESDF and I can see the appeal for games like Counter-strike, where you need a lot of customizable keys, but I never had the need, WASD work just fine for me. "
    Even in Counter-strike though, if you bind Q, E, R, and T you're pretty much set. That's how I played at least. 
  • I hate the arrow keys, they just suck so much.
  • @Dan said:
    " @MonkeyGekko said:
    " I've always used WASD. I heard about a lot of people using ESDF and I can see the appeal for games like Counter-strike, where you need a lot of customizable keys, but I never had the need, WASD work just fine for me. "
    Even in Counter-strike though, if you bind Q, E, R, and T you're pretty much set. That's how I played at least.  "
    Yeah same here, but I've encounter players who insisted on having a key for every type of grenade, and other weird stuff like that. Lot of players, who play on tournament level customize everything about that game. I remember using hours changing every little command.
  • WASD, though my favorite key to kit is the G key, for some reason. i think i like that it's just outside the comfort zone (F) for my index finger, yet is pretty important for a lot of games (grenade, drop weapon, etc).
  • I'm surprised that so few people have heard of ESDF before. I think about switching from WASD every once in a while, but I figure it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Maybe some day, though.
  • @CL60 said:
    " What wait? This is my first time ever even hearing about anybody using EDSF. "
    exactly what i was thinking
  • WASD much easier for me to use.
  • WASD, it just seems right. If I'm playing a game that doesn't benefit from having a mouse I'll use my Xbox 360 controller though.
    Oh and I have an Xbox 360 wheel I can use with my PC, so sometimes I plug that in for a racing game, makes it more challenging.
  • Might be slightly off-topic, but this thread has made me wonder, do lefties use PL;'/Arrow keys, or do they stick with the more conventional WASD/ESDF?
  • OK so this is going to blow some minds.

The keys i use for PC are:
    ZQSD
  • @Waytofind: 
    And here I was thinking the JKL; setup Nethack used was the most painful keyboard control scheme ever.
  • @lane: eh, flannel is pretty cool, bro.
  • @lane said:
    " @Waytofind:  And here I was thinking the JKL; setup Nethack used was the most painful keyboard control scheme ever. "
    I'm on a "azerty" keyboard actually so it translated to the WASD keys on a "qwerty" keyboard.
  • @Waytofind: 
    Fancy foreigner. I bet you can type those funny upside down question marks, too.
  • @lane: I know that you can do that with major+ some code but i do not have it on my keyboard.

edit: alt+168
  • WSAD.
  • I'm a long time WASD user. I never even thought that ESDF a thing to use.
  • @david said:
    " Never thought to use anything other than standard WASD.  I'm curious to see whether if it's just you or if other people use ESDF or another alternative, haha. "
  • I use a Nostromo gamepad. But the keys set to everything is WASD
  • I use the arrow keys, always have and always will. Perfect number and spacing of surrounding keys, rarely, if ever hit the wrong key by mistake.
  • ESDF?? 

Heretic! Burn him!
  • WASD but ESDF sounds interesting...i like access to the qaz keys but my pinky won't stretch to the shift too easily.
  • ewww...
    i use WASD because i'm sane. 
    maybe its because i don't play MMO's but that just further proves my sanity.
  • WASD is the only way.
  • Used to use ESDF, but then it got to be a pain in the ass to rebind everything when I got a new game. So now I'm just a WASD.

• WASD all the way. With WASD i can hit 1-6 a lot easier