WASD or ESDF? What's your poison?

Created by garetjax on March 15, 2012, 7:05 p.m.
  • What wait? This is my first time ever even hearing about anybody using EDSF.
  • Never thought to use anything other than standard WASD.  I'm curious to see whether if it's just you or if other people use ESDF or another alternative, haha.
  • Never heard of anyone using ESDF. What's even the benefit of using it over WASD?
  • @garetjax: 

EDSF is new to me. 

I use the arrow keys.
  • WASD, always. ESDF is an option? Weird, man.
  • Controller. 

Seriously, even if it's a PC game, I tend to prefer a controller.  I think the only games I use mouse/keyboard for are RTS games.
  • @ALTF4_FOR_COLORS: 

Gaming with the arrow keys sounds like ritualistic suicide. Are you a samurai? Did you dishonor your clan during the Battle of de_dust2?
  • wasd, esdf would be weird.
  • Much like everyone else here I am in shock people actually use esdf, I mean thinking about it I could actually see the benefits of it in some games... but man it would still feel weird.
  • ESDF would only feel weird until you were used to it. Using those keys allows for accessibility to more hotkey's. But I use WSAD.
  • wasd myself but i know people who use QWES and WERD
    its all about what you're used to i guess :)
  • I know a few people who use ESDF, but they crazy.
  • @TheGremp said:
    " I know a few people who use ESDF, but they crazy. "
    They do sound pretty crazy. Dunno why you would do such a thing!
  • ESDF? That's a thing? I only know WASD and the good ol' arrow keys.
  • @ALTF4_FOR_COLORS: I used to do that, then I was introduced to WASD by my brother...  My life was never the same.  Now, the arrow keys are just uncomfortable for me.
  • @TheGremp: 
     I like the arrow keys because they're isolated. If I tried using the WASD keys I would end up hitting every key but WASD.
  • Arrow keys work best for me.
  • WASD is pretty standard, but I may have to switch after hearing this. Having more free keys around the keyboard hand sounds like a pretty good deal.
  • Arrow keys are such a console gamer thing. :D 

I use WSAD, just because it was default when I started and a lot of the time I don't have to worry about remapping all of the keys in the general area of the WSAD/ESDF keys.
  • @ALTF4_FOR_COLORS said:
    " @TheGremp:   I like the arrow keys because they're isolated. If I tried using the WASD keys I would end up hitting every key but WASD. "
    Whilst I do use WASD, I can see something similar happening if I tried to use EDSF
  • @tetracycline said:
    " I used the arrow keys way back in the day before FPS used a mouse to look up and down. All you needed was the arrows and shift to run faster. Jumping was a Dark Forces thing for me that was once in a while, so spacebar worked fine. And I would open doors using the right mouse button. But now I just use WASD because games need more commands nowadays and it is harder to reach keys from the arrows. "
    I remember those days, back before we knew any better. I like to think we left the arrow keys behind along with flannel and Crystal Pepsi.
  • I never knew about ESDF. It doesn't feel as natural as WASD.
  • if you guys think ESDF is crazy, you're going to want to put me in the loony bin--i use WASF.  it all started in the days of quake, when i finally graduated from keyboard only to mouse + keyboard.  unfortunately, my mouse did not have a scroll wheel, and that game required very fast weapon switching.  hence, i decided to move the right movement key over one--from D to F--so that D would switch to the previous weapon and G to the next.  thus, a habit was born and the rest, of course, is history.
  • I've always used WASD. I heard about a lot of people using ESDF and I can see the appeal for games like Counter-strike, where you need a lot of customizable keys, but I never had the need, WASD work just fine for me.
  • This thread has blown my mind. I've never heard of ESDF, but I'm surprised I haven't thought about it. I wonder how Heroes of Newerth relentless structure can let me cope with trying that out. I figure I'll be booted when I intrinsically trail back to WASD
  • @lane: 

• @cowgod said:
    " if you guys think ESDF is crazy, you're going to want to put me in the loony bin--i use WASF.  it all started in the days of quake, when i finally graduated from keyboard only to mouse + keyboard.  unfortunately, my mouse did not have a scroll wheel, and that game required very fast weapon switching.  hence, i decided to move the right movement key over one--from D to F--so that D would switch to the previous weapon and G to the next.  thus, a habit was born and the rest, of course, is history.  
     So do you have some kind of built in left bias now? I'd be strafing left all the goddamn time if the right key was a whole key away from the down key.
  • I use the arrow keys. Yeah you hear me I use the motherfucking arrow keys!

• ESDF? I shat bricks.