Starcraft 2 Beta

Created by lilburtonboy7489 on March 15, 2012, 6:58 p.m.
  • I'm not in the beta, nor have I played Starcraft before. However looking at some of the footage it seems like an RTS I'd actually play. 
  • i had a key but my current rig wouldnt run it satisfactorily so i gave it away.

just curious, why are you posting this here rather than GB?
  • Man watching the Giant Bomb footage and the 1up footage just reminded me of how I can't play Starcraft. I just can't process decisions as quickly as that game needs me to.
  • @ZombiePie said:
    " Man watching the Giant Bomb footage and the 1up footage just reminded me of how I can't play Starcraft. I just can't process decisions as quickly as that game needs me to. "
    And now the game can tell you exactly how slow your being with its handy actions per minute counter!
  • @Dan said:
    " I'm not in the beta, nor have I played Starcraft before. However looking at some of the footage it seems like an RTS I'd actually play.  "
    Its looks a lot like warcraft 3 in my opinion. I liked that so this seems ok.
  • @SilverShadow said:
    " I just upgraded my rig a couple months ago with the intention of being able to play Starcraft 2. However, Blizzard hates me and will not update my battle.net account for the Starcraft 2 beta. Hopefully they send out some more invites soon. If not, does anybody have a key or login that I could use to play the beta? I am a HUGE fan of the series and I am deeply disappointed each day when I log in to my battle.net account and I do not see the beta. If anybody could help a poor soul out??? Just thought I would ask :) "
    You may have to create a new battlenet account.  

As for invites, I believe they are capping it at 10k and they are currently around 7k. 
  • @Berserk said:
    " @Dan said:
    " I'm not in the beta, nor have I played Starcraft before. However looking at some of the footage it seems like an RTS I'd actually play.  "
    Its looks a lot like warcraft 3 in my opinion. I liked that so this seems ok. "
    It's an extremely fast paced game compared to Warcraft 3. Not just because of online, but everything is just fast. Units shoot fast, die fast, move fast, everything is just really fast.
  • @lilburtonboy7489: Re: fast. I have one word for you all. 

Bannelings.
  • @bagels said:
    " @lilburtonboy7489: Re: fast. I have one word for you all.   Bannelings. "
    FUCK yes 

they put those in the game purely for teh lulz
  • This might be a stupid question, but heck: How do you get into the beta?
  • @Snail: You had to opt-in a while back via your Battle.net account's home page. I think you should still be able to, though I don't know if that will still get you into the pool of applicants anymore. 
  • unless you have a friend who has the beta, cuz everyone gets one invite 

sorry, i already used mine :(
  • I have a beta, I played a few matches, realized the key was wasted on me because of the fact that I don't like multiplayer starcraft much.  I play those games for the singleplayer really, the multiplayer is lost on me because I don't have the time to play any video game professionally.  And frankly if you aren't a professional player, you're gonna be wasting your time (in the beta at least, where the only people playing it are so disgustingly good, the match is decided by the third minute).  That's true for most RTS games these days (or really any PC gaming, which is probably why I prefer console gaming).

That said, I was always a Zerg player.  The game looks nice at least, but I'm not even sure if I'll be buying it now.  Especially not three copies of the game to get the full story.
  • i've been playing it whenever i get the chance.  i forgot how damn hard it is to play against real people, which is why i always played the original starcraft with friends teaming up against ai controlled players.

i've only played the terran so far.  i'm trying to get familiar with all their strategies before i move on to the next race.  the zerg were my favorite in the original starcraft but i don't know if that will still hold without guardians.  guardians + hydralisks  were an amazing combo.
  • @cowgod said:
    " i've been playing it whenever i get the chance.  i forgot how damn hard it is to play against real people, which is why i always played the original starcraft with friends teaming up against ai controlled players.  i've only played the terran so far.  i'm trying to get familiar with all their strategies before i move on to the next race.  the zerg were my favorite in the original starcraft but i don't know if that will still hold without guardians.  guardians + hydralisks  were an amazing combo. "
    yea, real people are asshole in starcraft.  

the zerg are decent, mutalisks can dominate the game early on, but they cost 100 vaspene a piece which makes a mutalisk rush difficult. 

my favorite strategy has just been zealot rush with protoss. 
  • What I love is that I signed up for Battle.Net and the beta pretty much as soon as the new B.Net launched, and no invite for me.  :(
  • @fish_face_mcgee said:
    " What I love is that I signed up for Battle.Net and the beta pretty much as soon as the new B.Net launched, and no invite for me.  :( "
    i think its based on specs i believe...
  • @lilburtonboy7489 said:
    " @fish_face_mcgee said:
    " What I love is that I signed up for Battle.Net and the beta pretty much as soon as the new B.Net launched, and no invite for me.  :( "
    i think its based on specs i believe... "
    That only makes sense if they were targeting machines with lower specs.  I have a pretty damn powerful machine.
  • @fish_face_mcgee said:
    " @lilburtonboy7489 said:
    " @fish_face_mcgee said:
    i think its based on specs i believe... "
    That only makes sense if they were targeting machines with lower specs.  I have a pretty damn powerful machine. "
    well they want a very broad spectrum 

but in fact, they are targeting machines with lower specs
  • it's extremely addictive...and that's coming from someone who hates competitive online play
  • i don't doubt that your life as you know it will be over when it comes out
  • @Wolverine: I really wish I could give you my beta key instead of having used it on myself, sorry :p. I played like 5 matches and uninstalled it, probably won't even buy the actual game at this point.  Alas, I don't think there's anyway to transfer my beta to you.  If I get another friend invite though, I'll see what I can do?
  • I'm in and my id thing is Warius.art 

I believe.  

I'm really enjoying the beta. Despite some of the unbalances, it's still damn fun. Although it took me a few matches to get into my old "Starcraft" self.

• @Wolverine: It reminded me that  
    A) I'm terribly at Starcraft, just absolutely terrible.  I lost all 5 of my beginning/practice league matches in the first few minutes.   Usually about the time it took for the rocks covering the bases to go down.  
    B) Online computer gaming, though SPECIFICALLY b.net, are full of assholes that do nothing but degrade and talk trash and make you feel like a heel.

If I were to play SC2, it'd probably be for the single-player experience or custom maps.  I can deal without being treated like scum because I'm not good at an online video game.
  • @Addfwyn: Same thing from Heroes of Newerth. Fun game, community is terrible.
  • @MAGZine: Precisely why I stopped playing HoN and I play LoL now, even though I have to reboot into windows to play LoL.  People in League of Legends are just a lot more friendly, generally speaking.  
  • I can't believe I can't get a key on either my US or Korean Battle.net account.   

I'm actually very interested to see how I respond to this game.  Like the RTS games I've gotten way way into has been the Relic stuff--Dawn of War 2 and Company of Heroes, which is such a different flavor of RTS.  

The C&C stuff for instance hasn't really been grabbing me.  Like the last really traditional RTS i was into was War 3 but that was seven years ago at this point.  I'm really unsure how I'm going to take to Starcraft 2. 

Like is it just going to be good enough that it's got that special something that the other games don't have or  has that style just lost its magic.

• @Addfwyn said:
    " @Wolverine: I really wish I could give you my beta key instead of having used it on myself, sorry :p. I played like 5 matches and uninstalled it, probably won't even buy the actual game at this point.  Alas, I don't think there's anyway to transfer my beta to you.  If I get another friend invite though, I'll see what I can do? "
    @Wolverine said:
    " @Addfwyn said:
    " @Wolverine: I really wish I could give you my beta key instead of having used it on myself, sorry :p. I played like 5 matches and uninstalled it, probably won't even buy the actual game at this point.  Alas, I don't think there's anyway to transfer my beta to you.  If I get another friend invite though, I'll see what I can do? "
    Thanks, I really appreciate your willingness to give me a beta key. Why did you decide to uninstall it? "
    Well Addfwyn, there's a good chance that you will get another beta key to give out to a friend even though you installed it. I got mine about a month and a half after I got the beta. So just keep Wolverine in mind when you get that :)