So, Fallout: New Vegas...

Created by WolfOfOne on March 15, 2012, 6:49 p.m.
  • Is great, until after 13+ hours of work none of your saves will load! 

What are your experiences?
  • I've put probably 5-6 hours into it, and so far I've learned two things:

1. I actually really like the new Fallout games, contrary to what I previously believed.
    2. Playing the new Fallout games on a console will make you believe you hate them.
    3. Furthermore, playing any Bethesda/Gamebyro game on a console instead of a PC is like willingly choosing to hit your own dick with a hammer.
  • Yeah same here, I never really got into Fallout 3, for some reason, but I'm really liking New Vegas.  Why on earth would anyone want to play Fallout on a console? :P  All my console playing friends have told me they hated Fallout 3 because it wasn't fast paced enough and they just wanted to shoot things >.> lol.
  • @lane said:
    ". 2. Playing the new Fallout games on a console will make you believe you hate them. 3. Furthermore, playing any Bethesda/Gamebyro game on a console instead of a PC is like willingly choosing to hit your own dick with a hammer. "
    I put about 100 hours into Fallout 3 for 360 and it went swimmingly.
  • @JeffGoldblum: Is there any sort of aim assist with the consoles?  B/c iirc it was hard enough getting good non-vats shots with a mouse.  just curious
  • @WolfOfOne said:

" Yeah same here, I never really got into Fallout 3, for some reason, but I'm really liking New Vegas.  Why on earth would anyone want to play Fallout on a console? :P  All my console playing friends have told me they hated Fallout 3 because it wasn't fast paced enough and they just wanted to shoot things >.> lol. "

Fallout 3 was good but it didn't have the same "Obsidian charm" that 1, 2, and New Vegas have (Tactics doesn't exist in my mind).  I just wish that engine wasn't so buggy.
    And yeah, I can't imagine playing it on a console either.  Some games just feel like they're designed to be played on the PC like Borderlands/Fallout 3 and others, like Bioshock, feel like they belong on a console.
  • @JeffGoldblum: 

You must go through dick bandages at an alarming rate.

Seriously though, I played FO3 on the 360, put maybe 10 hours into it, got really bored and frustrated, and never returned. After coming to the realization that Bethesda games pretty much require mods to achieve their maximum fun potential after a trip back to Oblivion, I got New Vegas for the PC. The experience between the original on the 360 and New Vegas with all the right mods is like night and day.

Plus, what the fuck do you do on a console when you get stuck inside a rock like I did earlier today? Reload and lose the past hour? I'd much rather have the option to turn on noclip and waltz right out.
  • Loved 3 and have had New Vegas since release. Installed it on my HDD and am yet to play it at all. Have no time for games at the moment, really missing them.
  • @WolfOfOne said:
    " Yeah same here, I never really got into Fallout 3, for some reason, but I'm really liking New Vegas.  Why on earth would anyone want to play Fallout on a console? :P  All my console playing friends have told me they hated Fallout 3 because it wasn't fast paced enough and they just wanted to shoot things >.> lol. "
    i've been playing fallout new vegas for PS3 and it's HORRIBLE.  fallout 3 for PS3 was better, but still not great. new vegas kept crashing on me and getting horrible framerates, and sometimes when i leveled up i didnt get to upgrade perks :< 

other than it's glaring technical flaws, fallout new vegas is better than fallout 3 with better controls (iron sights make non-vats shots somewhat easier), that same fallout 1 and 2 dark comedy vibe, cooler universe, more interesting characters , i like factions quite a bit too, and the creatures are cooler. 
    so all in all, i'm sending back my new vegas rental, and getting it on PC when i get a better PC.
  • I haven't played New Vegas, but I'm not surprised to hear that it's got a lot of bugs. I played the original Fallout 3 on PC, and while it was a great game, it had a lot of technical problems. I had to run it on a clean Windows install in order to play for more than 15 minutes without it crashing. I'll probably get New Vegas as well eventually, but I'd like to see what they do with the patches, as far as glitches are concerned.
  • @captain_clayman: You only get to upgrade perks every other level, or do you mean you didn't get to even then?
  • @CROM

fwiw, I haven't had any of the big bugs I keep hearing about, just the usual run of the mill ones like the aforementioned man-eating rock. I had some stuttering but I applied that Direct3d fix that's floating around and it's been smooth as silk.
  • @lane: Sounds good to me, I can handle the rock issues. Keep us posted on how the experience holds up.
  • Eh, I don't buy broken software, no matter how good it's supposed to be.  I know some people who play it with no bugs, and some people (on every version, not just console version) who have bugs so bad I'd consider it game braking for me.  Like multiple crashes, corrupt saves, and the like.  I give a pass to MMOs, cause they are constantly changing beasts so new bugs are bound to crop up.  It just seems sloppy to release a game in this state though that is a totally singleplayer experience.  Sure, there's an offchance that I will get to play it with no bugs, but there shouldn't really even be that chance to begin with.  I understand the Gamebryo engine is crap, but it was still their call to use it.

Also, wasn't a big FO3 fan (Thankfully got to borrow a copy, as much as I am normally opposed to borrowing/renting games) so since this is like FO3.5 it'd again probably be a subpar experience for me.
  • Oh, also:

Wayne Newton owns.
  • @CROM: 

I just got my first crash to desktop. It was probably my fault for starting up FRAPS in the middle of playing.

I will say this: if you get it, install the Fellout NV mod before you even launch the game for the first time. The world is so much more gorgeous without that pugfugly brown filter over everything.  

• Man, I've been working my way through Fallout 3 so I can play NV (Finally got my roommate to lend it). Without even having played NV yet, Jingle Jangle Jingle has been stuck in my head non-stop all day.
  • @LtSquigs: 

New Vegas is such a better game than FO3 imho. I never even finished FO3, so I'm tempted to tell you to just skip it.
  • @lane: I have heard that NV is better, from someone who considers FO3 his GoTY for that year. However, I am enjoying FO3 a lot so I'll probably finish it before NV.
  • @LtSquigs: 

Well by all means keep playing it if you're enjoying it. I thought you were just trying to slog your way through it to get to New Vegas. It was decent, but it was so devoid of character. Oh, and it was really fuckin' green.
  • Well, I just let out my first official slew of expletives at this game when my companion killed the person I was supposed to talk to for this quest even though they weren't flagged as hostile. I'm trying to talk to the guy when all of a sudden he's all exploded in red lasers. Good thing I had a save... from an hour ago. fml.
  • @lane:  Did you Alt+Tab to start up FRAPS? I've found that key combination to be a killer of game sessions.
  • @CROM: 

I did, but Fallout seems to be particularly resilient to the Alt-Tab. It switches right in and out without anything janky like the Source Disco.
  • Yeah, New Vegas didn't really seem to be bothered by alt-tabbing, but Fallout 3 is a different story for me.  I was playing it last night since I can't play New Vegas and I would alt-tab and then alt-tab back to it and it would just be the title bar and the audio.  I couldn't resize the window or switch to fullscreen.
  • I know I'll end up playing it at some point, but I got burnt out in FO3 quickly, and I am no longer capable of getting excited for a game that Obsidian has made.  They have yet to make a game that isn't broken or missing content.
  • @fish_face_mcgee: 

If this were a six-hour run and gun I'd agree with you, but I'm willing to cut them a little more slack considering the mindboggling complexity of these games.
  • @lane: I agree to a point, but Obsidian has not made a game that hasn't been buggy, and I know that Alpha Protocol and KOTOR2 were not mindbogglingly complex games. 

And hell, look at Oblivion and Fallout 3.  Both equally complex games, and I don't remember people mentioning in reviews that the game would just abruptly crash, or that load times would get longer the more you played.
  • @fish_face_mcgee: 

I can't speak for Alpha Protocol or KOTOR having not played them, but I don't feel like I've encountered any more bugs in my time with Fallout (or Oblivion, for that matter) than any other PC game. I think part of it has to do with the people having the problems being very vocal about them, and part of it has to do with the Gamebyro engine relying heavily on hardware optimizations which make things work perfectly on some hardware and not on others, making it really hard to squash bugs until they're in the wild on hardware they never would've used for testing. I mean, it's not like they just let this slip out the door unnoticed:

• @fish_face_mcgee said:
    "@lane: I agree to a point, but Obsidian has not made a game that hasn't been buggy, and I know that Alpha Protocol and KOTOR2 were not mindbogglingly complex games.  And hell, look at Oblivion and Fallout 3.  Both equally complex games, and I don't remember people mentioning in reviews that the game would just abruptly crash, or that load times would get longer the more you played. "

No, but that will happen with both of those games.  Fallout 3 is still super crash happy on my system.  The thing I see here is Obsidian is a third party for the engine technology.  To me it makes sense why it doesn't work quite right.  Possibly poor documentation, poor support, who knows.  Being a third party, you don't get the same understanding of the engine as the first party does.  Should it have spent more time in the cooker?  Yes.  But I totally get why it's buggier than Fallout 3.

• @Helushune: 

Also, Obsidian developed New Vegas while Bethesda developed Fallout 3, so it's not like the same teams were working on it and could learn from their mistakes.