Coffee Grinder

Created by Maznasty on March 15, 2012, 6:25 p.m.
  • This is what I use. I don't know what the people complaining about the build quality on Amazon are talking about, it's great for a nice compact burr grinder.
  • @maznasty: 

Absolutely. French press and espresso are at two opposite ends of the same spectrum, and grind is just as important on each end. The middle (drip) is where it doesn't matter as much.
  • @maznasty:
    Yeah it makes a difference my french press with a blade grinder right now sucks, although according to Will I should man up and go aeropress anyways as it uses a filter that would reduce the muddyness of a typical frenchpress brew. And blade grinder coffee is plenty muddy.
  • @maznasty said:
    "

Yeah it makes a difference my french press with a blade grinder right now sucks, although according to Will I should man up and go aeropress anyways as it uses a filter that would reduce the muddyness of a typical frenchpress brew. And blade grinder coffee is plenty muddy.

You should get the AeroPress. It eliminates the muddiness completely, and its much easier to clean then a french press "
    I second this.  Get a good grinder and an AeroPress and you will be happy :)
  • You won't get to much in the way of mud out of a French Press if you use the correct grind and a decent press.  I do mine with a medium-coarse grind and there isn't really much in the way of residue. I find the French press to be the most convienient way to brew up a few cups worth.

P.S. This is the grinder I use - http://www.breville.com.au/products_detail.asp?prod=370
  • I think it depends on what you want to make. For Expresso you need a fine grind the Krups one lane has can do. If you just like to make french press you can get a small handy cheap one like I have: 

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Grinder-black/dp/B000VX1B36/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1289237780&sr=1-3
  • @lane said:
    " This is what I use. I don't know what the people complaining about the build quality on Amazon are talking about, it's great for a nice compact burr grinder. "
    I have the same one. And just like Lane, no quality issues so far. 
  • Seen that one in action too. Perhaps the people that complains about it doesn't know how to use it?
  • I don't know. I mean, they would have to be really dumb. You basically drop the beans and press a button.
  • @Greg818: 

Whoops, I forgot we'd already discovered we had the same grinder in this thread.
  • Yeah, but it's such a good grinder that it's worth mentioning twice (at least).

• I was able to pick up the Krups GVX-1 grinder for $23. It is by no means a high end grinder but at $23 I am very happy with the purchase, it works well in my experience with it.