Coffee in a case - Where do I get food-safe materials?

Created by UschanDeLucca on Jan. 20, 2014, 1:16 a.m.
  • Hello guys,

I'm new here, and I hope you can help me.

I'm studiying physics in Germany. Naturally we have a little lot to do, which means that we're often in a need of a delicious coffee.However we can't always take our favourite machines and brands with us. :(

This lead to the idea of integrating a coffee machine into a suitcase. (Including a water resevoir, and probably some batteries.) Therefore we took a machine apart and came up with some possible ideas. Though the whole venture took a sudden stop, as we realised that we were missing some suitable materials.

The tubes of the machine were too short! We searched a while, but we couldn't come up with some affordable tubing which would hold the conditions of boilling water AND would be food-safe. Additionally we didn't find a suitable water reservoir.

This all was around 2 years ago. We sometimes looked again for materials, but still didn't find what we needed. :(

Fortunately I discovered the Tested YT-channel a while ago and figured that you might be able to help me here.

So, can you suggest any materials and/or shops to me?

(Btw. we considered copper tubing, but we don't have the tools nor the knowledge to work with it.)

Greetings

Uschan

P.S.: I hope this is the right board.?

• I can't help I'm afraid, but this certainly sounds like an interesting project! Let us know how you get on.

• @UschanDeLucca:

I use silicone tubing for brewing beer. It's food safe and heat resistant up to about 200 degrees Celcius.

• I second the silicone tubing recommendation.

• Thank you for the answers so far. Can you suggest me some particular brands and/or shops?

Futhermore, I just have seen the Robot Bartender movie. There I noticed, that some of these people used peristaltic pumps. As we might have to use some sort of pumps too, has anyone an idea where to get one?

Greetings

Uschan

• I would suggest checking out a camper/caravan supplier or retailer for tubing they always have food safe stuff.

and for the peristaltic pumps well if your after something small and low V try an aquarium/pet store or even ebay have them

• This would work - http://www.amazon.com/SILICONE-Silcon-Hose-foot/dp/B0064OF90W/ref=pd_sbs_indust_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0X8GWSM62F4D6T7Y22Z5