Cold brewing tips and how to

Created by PaulKemp on April 4, 2012, 1:08 a.m.
  • Hi all. Anyone have any tips for a cold brewing technique? I tried just leaving the right amount of coffee in a container over night - i.e. my normal amount of coffee for a liter of water. It's some time ago, but it wasn't good enough for me to try it again. So how do you guys do it?

• Ok, sure sounds easy enough! Will try and report back the tasty results. Thanks for the reply - you helped.
  • After watching the video @will did on the Toddy cold brew system I saw they were pretty cheap, so I picked one up. I've only brewed once so far, but it turned out pretty good. I think I'll used it more for iced coffee though. One third cold and two thirds hot does not yield a very hot cup of coffee.
  • I tweeted this link to Will last night, a cold brew technique using just an Aeropress and some ice. Tastes great, made another this morning to take to the library while I blast through my Dissertation today.

Pretty sure Aerobie will be getting an acknowledgement on the front page of my final draft.

Also: This isn't so much a "Cold Brew" as it is a "Cold, Brewed Coffee", but for the fact it tastes as good as it does and only takes about 90 seconds to do, it's a good - and way more economical - technique.

• @Verus1: Yes, but since shipping to Norway is expensive, I have to consider the cheap options. Thats why the method using just water and coffee in a container over night is good. Its cheap, no buying required. But I'm happy you are enjoying your cold coffee. :)

@Lashe: Will definitely try this method, thanks for sharing. Very good since so many already own the Aeropress. I think we need a quick look and test by Tested.

Just tried the http://coffeegeek.com/guides/aeropresscoldbrew link provied by Lashe and here's my first impressions. Using about 30g coffee in a full upsidedown aeropress. Then taking half the amount of coffee in one glass, and mixing a little bit of milk. My first though was that the coffee would be too strong, but it seems good with a few ice cubes in it. You could always make 'ice' cubes out of coffee i guess. Who am I kidding, i havent even tried this coffee warm from the aeropress and i didnt measure anything other than the coffee itself. its a method that works. So have a go at it. :)

• @will: What about just using a French Press. 115g in 1000g of water. Leave over night, press in the morning and then filter through a normal drip brewer paper filter and enjoy? Have you tried that?

• @PaulKemp said:

@will: What about just using a French Press. 115g in 1000g of water. Leave over night, press in the morning and then filter through a normal drip brewer paper filter and enjoy? Have you tried that?

I was thinking this myself. With the summer coming soon I would to make some cold brew that would be tasty over ice. Most of the cold brew techniques that I've seen always use filters so maybe the paper removes the oils that would taste bad? If that is the case, then I could just pour the finished cold brew through a chemex filter and all should be good.

• @Viderian: We should try. Im going away this weekend and its not particularly warm here, so I won't be able. What about you? I've tried earlier, the same method but not with the paper filter in the end. Im guessing its going to be real nice since the paper or chemex will remove the rough grinds and oils.

• I have some nice Ethiopian Sidamo that I will be cold-brewing in the French Press tonight. I will use Will's ratio and test the results. This coffee, hot, has a nice fruity acidity so I wonder how it will transfer over to the cold brew.

I will be doing the two filter method of the metal screen and then the Chemex filter afterwards to get a clean brew. It seems that most people do a two-filter system so I will start with that.

• Well I made some in a French Press. You will most defiantly need to filter it more then just the metal filter on the press. It turns out very clean after the Chemex filter pass.

Coffee is pretty good using the 1 part coffee to 2 parts water but as mentioned by @Verus1 it wasn't really hot enough so it seems to be much more suited to iced coffee.

When I do it again, I will make it much more concentrated as to use more hot water to keep the coffee warmer in the end.

• OK, i tried about 110 grams of coffee, quite fine grinded (due to a new grinder), and 1 liter of water (1000 grams). Will leave this over night and try in the morning after filtering trough a paper filter. Stoked! Now i just have to fall asleep tonight after trying out my new grinder.

• @PaulKemp said:

OK, i tried about 110 grams of coffee, quite fine grinded (due to a new grinder), and 1 liter of water (1000 grams). Will leave this over night and try in the morning after filtering trough a paper filter. Stoked! Now i just have to fall asleep tonight after trying out my new grinder.

I left it for 11 hours. Im drinking it now. Its ok, but quite bitter. The bitterness is different from when the coffee is warm. But I know I grinded too fine.

A picture of the coffee jar

• @PaulKemp: I just got a Toddy and tried it with Kenyan light roast coffee from whole foods - ground using the store grinder on course. I did a half pound and adjusted the water amount based on the directions. Brewed for 12 hrs. It is way more bitter than I expected- especially the aftertaste. I thought this was supposed to make it less bitter. Is there something I should adjust in my method to make it less bitter??

• I would love to find out if anybody has tried to brew using the Ice Drip method. I had a friend visit a Fox Hollow shop in Orting, WA that was using the process (now closed). But I haven't found any shops (or individuals) in my area that are using it.