Help me, Tested. My videos are crap.

Created by Jayross on March 15, 2012, 6:32 p.m.
  • Hey guys, I feel kind of sad :( 

I recorded a lot of video but it turns out most of it is really crappy. I am trying to edit it into a cinematic video with cool music and all the works, but it's all kind of pointless considering how terrible the video is. 

I believe the main problem is color. The color is washed out and doesn't pop. I also don't have very good technique so everything is just kind of wobbly and out of focus. As you can imagine, this is a major bummer. Please help.  

I am using a Nikon D3100, which I thought took good video, but right now my iPhone can record better-looking footage than this DSLR that I shelled out for.

Here are some images from the video that I took:  

I need to color-correct these, don't I? How do I go about doing that?

I hope some of you guys have tips on how I might be able to fix these videos. Also, what are some tips for the future?  

Also, with my D3100, should I record in 720p instead of 1080? For some reason the video doesn't seem very... hd-ish...  

Thanks for helping out guys, I really appreciate it.
  • @Jayross: If you're not happy with the color, there is probably a setting on the camera that will allow you to change that around. I'm not familiar with the Nikon menu system, but Canon refers to it as "picture styles". Basically, it plays around with things like contrast and saturation to get a certain look to your colors.

Another option is to play around with the contrast and saturation levels in post-processing, using a video editing program. Most of them should be able to do that. 

Nice shots, by the way.

On another note, how do you find the continuous autofocus on the D3100 to be? In the videos I've seen demonstrating it, it seems to hunt around and pick weird things to focus on. How has it been for you?
  • @CROM: I find it eventually goes over into the corner or the side of the screen and sits there. I am pretty sure it's bugged. 

So yeah, not too great. I like to use MF, though. The AF also sounds really loud in the video.
  • @Jayross
    I cant look at your videos right (work and mobile phone) but I will later when I get home.
    But what I can rember from the month I had that camera myself is that 720p will result in more frames which I prefered for I was shooting breakdance. Besides that you should just grap the camera experiment with some settings until you get the lighting/color right. Can't really say more then that without actually seeing the vids so I wont.
  • Nice shots, regardless.  I'm pretty much a complete layman when it comes to photography and video, but aren't they simply overexposed?  As for the HD look not being there, resolution isn't everything.  It could be low bit-rate video.  Anywho, what country were you in?   
  • It's a combination of bad exposure and improper white balance. Both can be more or less corrected in post-processing, as well as in-camera.
  • To me, it just seems that the light measurement is set wrong, it's probably set on spot (or center or whatever it's called with this body) instead of full scene.
  • @JoMate I didn't put up the vid
  • @Jayross
    @JoMate I didn't put up the vid
    Whops, those aren't videos, those are just screenshots.

I'll try to fiddle around with the color adjustments. I only have iMovie HD, though, and it doesn't really have very good tools for that.

@Rallier Those look a lot better.

@100_Hertz I was in Kenya.
  • @Jayross
    Well, I see now but I assumed that because there where just grey areas it was movies but it might have just bin that the 2g connection my phone was on at that time was taking very long loading those pictures.
    But seeing them I have to agree with all that has been said already, but I would also like to add that it is beter to shoot the pictures with good lighting than to just shoot them and then retouch them with your pc due to loss of data like Rallier said.
  • I don't even know how to set the measurements... /newbfail
  • @Jayross

Check out the White Balance and Metering sections on this menu guide.

e: And remember, as a friend of mine likes to say, "DSLRs don't shit art."

• Okay everyone, I think I have figured it out.

I first switched to manual. I turned off auto-whitebalance and use the exposure comp to properly balance the image. The auto-balance would always skew to lighter, which ruined the image and colors.

I have also turned off AF because I like the accuracy of manual.

Still working on it, though.

Hey, how do I change depth of field in video? Is that even possible?

Okay, here is a video I took. It isn't actually as good as I initially thought it was... looked better on the 3 inch screen =/

Okay, here is a video: