How can I geotag with a regular camera?

Created by Skreddle on March 15, 2012, 6:32 p.m.
  • I love that when I take pictures with my iPhone 4 the location automatically gets tied to the picture. The problem is the quality isn't up to par with stand alone digital cameras. Are there any cameras that automatically geotag the pictures taken with it?
  • You mean a standard point-and-shoot digital camera, right?  It would need GPS capability like the (now old) Nikon Coolpix P6000.  I think some of the Sony CyberShots track your gps location as well.
  • Umm, I believe there are programs that will add geolocation to the exif data, and you can tag your pictures location on flickr manually as well.
  • Another option is the Eye-Fi Geo SD card, which automatically tags the photos saved to it. It should work in any SD-compatible camera.
  • @CROM said:
    " Another option is the Eye-Fi Geo SD card, which automatically tags the photos saved to it. It should work in any SD-compatible camera. "
    This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!
  • If you use Picasa, I think you can just add the information using google maps. You just drag the photo onto a location.
  • Check out this website, it has information about software to link any camera with any gps and also has information about cameras with built in gps
     http://www.geospatialexperts.com/

• @StephanieGIS:  An interesting option, although it would be more expensive than the Eye-Fi SD card. The combined cost of both the GIS software and a handheld GPS unit would be at least a few hundred dollars, whereas the Eye-Fi card can be bought for $50, and it doubles as a general purpose SD card.  GeoSpacial Experts seems to have an innovative marketing department; they're lucky to have you.