Help me choose between these two DSLRs

Created by Jayross on March 15, 2012, 6:27 p.m.
  • Hey Tested crew, as some of you may know, I have been in the market for an entry-level DSLR. My budget is sub-$600 so that basically eliminates all but the lowest end models.  

I have two cameras in mind: 

Canon EOS Rebel T3:

Or 

Nikon D3100: 

I'm not sure how accurate this site is, but it seems to do a good comparison of the bullet-point features:  
     http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Nikon_D3100 

I am leaning towards the Nikon, as I see very little reasons why the Canon is better. 

Now, am I missing any thing? I am very new at this so please chime in if you have anything to add :)  

Thanks, 

Jayross

• Look them both up on http://www.dpreview.com/  That web site is absolute ridiculous in how extensively they test cameras. 

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3100/ 
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos1100D/ 
    They also have a side-by-side comparison tool that's available under the Buying Guide. 

That said, I'm a pretty big Nikon supporter and would go with the D3100.  Not to say the Canon's bad in the slightest, they're both excellent.
  • At this point, you can't go wrong with either camera. Canon and Nikon are pretty well neck-and-neck in terms of camera features and build quality. I'm a Canon person, but I'd have to say Nikon unless if you can get your hands on a cheap Txi (x being 1 or 2).
  • Yeah, thanks for the input, looks like I'll go Nikon.

Excited :)
  • @Jayross:  The Canon was only announced last month, and I don't think there are many reviews of it yet. If you're seriously considering both, you'll want to wait a few weeks until the reviews start coming out. However, as MAGZine said, either one would probably be a great camera for you (unless the Canon turns out to be a dud, but that's unlikely). And although they both fit in your $600 budget, you will want to buy more lenses. You may think that you will be able to resist, but you won't. No one can. Resistance is futile.
  • This is my typical boilerplate response, but I'll offer it here: Both systems are excellent. Both have a wonderful range of lenses that will support you in any direction your photographic hobby will take you in. You really can't go wrong. Except that you can.  

Go to a photography shop, one that has both cameras, and play with them. Mess around with some settings. See how the controls feel in your hands. I'm guessing you're a novice, but eventually you'll want to be able to shoot in full manual mode. the beauty of dSLRs is that you can change setting on the fly, in your hand, without taking your eye away from the viewfinder. Ergonomics is everything when taking this into consideration. Do the ergos feel right in your hand? Do the menus make sense to you? Figure that out, and the choice will be easy.
  • @munkatten said:
    "I recommend the 50mm 1.8 nikkor, but any prime will make you much happier than what you get included. "
    A 50mm prime would be a nice companion to the standard kit lens, but it would be terribly frustrating to have on its own. The field of view of a 50mm lens on a crop sensor is far too narrow for a lot of situations, so a wider lens is still necessary.

I have a 50mm prime for my 1.6x crop camera, and I usually find that indoors, even after backing up and hitting a wall, I still can't fit everything in the frame. For example, you'll need to be at least 3 meters away from a person to fit his/her head and shoulders into a picture. To fit the person's entire body, you're looking at more than 5 meters. I don't often take pictures of people, but they serve as a good reference object.

• @munkatten said:
    " @Jayross:  Good choice :3   However, the most important factor is what does your friends/family use? If you know someone with a canon, get a canon. You might be able to burrow some lenses, or steal techniques and knowledge from them. They might even offer to sell you some of their older equipment.  I got a nikon, my brother's got a canon, and that kind of sucks.  EDIT: My tip, screw the kit lens, and get a proper one. I recommend the 50mm 1.8 nikkor, but any prime will make you much happier than what you get included. "
    I hear that. My household is Canon way back to the 70s / 80s so I went in that direction when I was a big boy. Now I find out that my Uncle, whom is a professional photographer for, has about $50,000-60,000 in Nikon gear. 
    Doh.