new to DSLR whre to start

Created by mark334 on March 26, 2015, 1:48 p.m.
  • hallo tested i whoul like to ask if you guys have any recommendatios on where and how to get started.

and what camera the whould be a good start to see if that is something i whould go in deeps with

• Hmm as a starter I would go for something like a Nikon D3300 or Canon EOS Rebel T3. Both good solid cameras around the same price with good lens ranges you can choose from.

They are good DSLR's to cut your teeth on and in the $500 area.

• I can't speak much to the Nikon suggestion but I would say if you are looking at Canon cameras skip the T3 and pick up a T4i or SL1 instead. The T3 is pretty old for a DSLR and is not really even sold anymore. The new entry level Canon is the T5. And while there is nothing particularly wrong with it if you end up really liking photography you will be kicking yourself for not spending the little extra to get a considerably better camera body. As far as features and specs go the T4i and SL1 are almost the exact same camera except the SL1 is much more compact and loses the flip out screen.

Honestly I am still relatively new to photography but if I could start over again one of the main things that I would have done differently this time would be to skip the kit with the 18-55mm lens and either buy a body only and a good lens of my choice, or get the kit with the upgraded 18-135 STM lens. The 18-55mm lens that the kits usually come with isn't bad per se, but it isn't anything special either and you will soon crave much more capability. Plus while most lenses hold their value pretty well in the used market you almost can't even give away a 18-55mm Canon lens.

I'll put it this way I paid $650 for my camera with the 18-55mm kit lens then I ended up going out and buying the 18-135mm lens outright for $550. So I am into this camera for $1200 minus the maybe $40 I could get for the 18-55mm lens if I tried to sell it. On the other hand the T4i Kit with the 18-135mm STM lens was $850... which in retrospect is what I should have bought. Although to be fair the kit I initially bought also included an extra battery, a good memory card, a carrying case, a wired remote, a UV filter for the lens and a few other items that when added up do help to ease the blow that I took since the other kit didn't include anything extra.

My other piece of advice would be to pick up a prime lens as soon as you can. Either a 40mm pancake or a 50mm f/1.8 are relatively inexpensive good beginner Canon prime lenses and really allow you to explore the capabilities of your camera. Right now I have a T4i and a small collection of lenses personally my two favorites are my 18-135mm STM lens and my 40mm pancake. I really want to pick up a 50m f/1.4 next... but that may be a while.

• @mark334: There is a lot of thing to consider when getting into dslr, I use to sell DSLR and here some pieces of advice a lot of people where not considering:

1. Do you have friend who own DSLR ? if yes what brand ? most brand have very good quality and you won't be disappointed by there product. But if your friend own a Canon by exemple, he will be able to help you understanding your camera and you might be able to share some of your gear.

2. Don't underestimate the price of the accessories, there are a lot ... A LOT of accessories that you will want to buy, most of them should lasted for a very long time so don't go out and order shitty piece of equipment from ebay, my best exemple was a client who bought 3000$ worth of camera and he broke it because of a 15$ tripod.

3. Consider used gear, if you are getting started you should not be that picky, the first camera will teach you a lot on what you will want to do in photography. But watch out for damaged gear, scratch lens and damaged sensor are not always easy to spot.

4. Most of the picture quality come from the lens, the camera itself is more about usage. if you are looking more into landscape macro and portrait you don't have to have the latest camera but a good lens will help a lot, most expensive camera are often faster more light sensitive and faster, so if you want to do event photography you might want to have a higher end camera.

If you have any specific question you can PM me

(sorry for the broken english I'm from Quebec and speak mostly french)

• since i don't know if i whould get into this hobby do you guys have som cheap options for a camera/ lens and how to learn to control the camera

• there is a really good book by Micheal Freeman, http://www.ilex-press.com/books/mastering-digital-photography/, there's good chance you can find it in pdf online somewhere. there is good notion on how most dslr works and also good advice on composition, for the cheap option for the camera it depends on what you call cheap, my advice is to check on http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ and check for a deal on starter kit, it's pretty much the cheapest price exept from big sale in local store.

• @mark334: I'm a professional photographer and I've helped many people in your situation.

Julien gave you some great advice, but I would like to know a few things first...

• What country do you live in?
    • Do you have a budget in mind?
    • What kind of photography interests you most?
    • Do you have close friends who use Canon or Nikon?
  • @mclaren777 hey

• i'am liveing in Denmark
    • around the mind of budget i whould say at the verry max 500$ less whould be perfred since i don't jnow how much time i'am going to spend on it
    • i really like eventphotography but don't know if thats the best way to start
    • i don't really have any friends who is in to takeingphotography

if you need anymore info ask

• As a general rule of thumb, Nikon cameras have better sensors and Canon lenses have better optics. I personally like the features and ergonomics of Canon cameras more, so I've fallen into the Canon camp.

That being said, I would suggest looking at the Nikon D5200 and the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G. You can buy them in Germany for roughly €500 or you can probably find used versions for somewhat less.

• Go play with a nikon and a canon in your local independent camera store

Then buy it from your local independent camera store

Yes you can save $50 buy buying it online but your local camera store will give you far better value for money

• The best camera in the world is the one in your hands....the world of dslr camera are full of interesting and also expensive things...try a secondhand camera, first....a seven year old Dslr are still amazing cameras...(movie mode is a bit hit and miss)..the Canons over here are based on numbers rather than names.

The only real difference between cameras are Crop frame and full frame...
    Simply put the full frame cameras have a sensor the size of a 35peice of film (pro level cameras)

Crop frame have smaller sensors ( just to be awkward then Nikon d7000 range and the canon 7d range have cropped sensors but are semi pro level cameras ideal for sports and nature photography due to their frame rate (8 photos a second) also they have very good weather seals, some thing to consider with Denmarks weather)..

The crop frame cameras do funny things with lenses...a 100mm lens will look like around 110mm on the full frame...

I have used both and have owned both.....if I were to buy new again I would go for Canon because I be their L series lenses...

Depending on your budget I would highly recommend a secondhand Nikon D7000 or a canon 7D...

Lenses are different...the ideal 3 would be

14-24
    24-70
    70-200.

This will give you a really good focal length range..

As for learning. I learnt many years ago on film. Take a book and pencil and write down everything you do...

The main points to cover are...

white balance, (this depends on the light you are shooting in)
    ISO ( the sensitivity of the digital film....lower numbers mean less noise/grainy photos but not as sensitive to low light.)

F stop, or aperture,... The size of the hole in the iris of the lense...the smaller the hole the less light

Shutter speed.....how quickly the shutter opens..... The longer the more light is let in....

There are semi auto settings on any camera that help with all the above...however the two most important things are.....he most technically perfect photo of a wheelie bin is still, only a photo of wheelie bin.....learn about the rule of thirds and framing a picture...

Oh and above all just enjoy yourself
  • I started doing convention/portrait photography about a year ago with an old Canon Rebel XTi I got for free, and I've just finished my first major event with my new Nikon D3300.

Obviously my Nikon is a lot newer than the Canon so I won't bother comparing them for image quality, but when it comes to design I'd say the Nikon is easier to understand, while the Canon was faster to use. Selecting which focus point you want to use was very fast and easy with the canon, but I have to reposition my hand to do the same task with my Nikon.

The way I see it, whichever camera you buy will take good photos, and the ergonomic differences aren't that important. Since you are just starting and don't know how much time you will actually spend taking pictures, I would just buy whatever decent camera and lens you can get cheap. If you find you really enjoy photography you will eventually want to upgrade to a nicer camera anyways, so you may as well get something you won't feel like you've wasted your money on if you don't use it, and you won't feel bad about replacing if you get more serious.

If I remember correctly, Canon's budget lenses are a $100 or so cheaper than the nikon equivalents. I'm not sure how the prices on camera bodies compare, but the lenses may make all the difference.

Also, I strongly suggest you only buy a lens if you actually encounter situations where you need it. Many people say that having a good zoom lens is important because it is so versatile, but I took 1,500 pictures last weekend and my 35mm prime was perfect for every one of them. It all comes down to the photos you want to take and where you are taking them, don't buy a lens if you aren't certain you will use it.

• I used my dad's Nikon D40 for a while then ended up buying myself a D80. Messed around with longer distance lenses and the kit lenses and stuff, really got into it when I bought a fixed 35mm F/1.8. Found that the fixed lens took awesome photos, and having to get into the right position rather than relying on zooming in/out meant I thought a lot more about how I was taking photos and composing them.

• I am not an expert but as I have an interest in drawing/sketching cars, planes etc I take a lot of photos primarily with my iPhone or an old Kodak digital point and shoot for reference material.

I am always amazed at the photos some guys on the internet are able to take and wanted to try improve that aspect of what I like to do. I discovered a guy called StefanMarjoram.com who is an automobile photographer and artis based in England. Stefan gets to go to some great European locations to draw cars and I asked him for a suggestion for a digital camera. He suggested a Canon EOS M with a wide angle lens and said this is one he has used often.

I was able to find one and started taking photographs at car meets and I think I have the right camera. I found it on kijiji, in the box for $350 Canadian . It was last year's model but I wasn't concerned. The latest model has the ability to load to youtube etc and this might be something you wish but it cost 1round $650/700. I also found a zoom lens at a good price from B&H in NYC which I am still getting used to.

Hoep thsi helps

• My first (and current) DSLR is the Nikon D3200. It has served me well for the last 2 years. It's a great little entry level camera.

I'd also recommend SnapSort dot com - it's a comparison site for cameras if you're on the fence about what to get.