$500 or less camera recommendations

Created by DweezilX on March 19, 2015, 8:10 a.m.
  • Hey guys my sister and bro in law are about to have their first kid (I'm gonna be an uncle! I'm so stoked) and they are in the market for a camera to document the child.

Unfortunately the reviews I have seen are for cameras like $900 or more and that is just too much for them. Can anyone recommend a good quality camera for 500 or less?

Should they take out a loan to get an expensive one? Cameras are not my specialty.

Thanks,

Dweez

• DO NOT EVER TAKE A LOAN FOR A CAMERA.

Unless maybe if you are a professional.

there are two routes - 1. just by cheap and easy to use point and shoots (or use your phone like most people) or

2. by a decent used camera that makes sense to you that you can upgrade with lenses, etc in the future. Take a look at the prices for a used canon T2i or a Nikon 3100 - you should be able to get a nice camera for under 500 (with a lens) these are on the path that you can upgrade lenses or even the body down the line.

If you are not a big picture taker but want good family photos this approach is the answer - also these cameras will last you for a really long time. 15 or 20 years if you don't have Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS). Both will shoot jpegs as well as raw - so you should be fine. You will miss a few bells and whistles - but that really won't be a big issue.

The trick with cameras these days is the balance between video and images - both of these do a good job for the right price.

Hope this helps.

KEH mail order is a great used camera store as is B&H and amazon can also be good. All of them have solid online presences

• Well I would first see what their phones have to offer, these days phone cameras are of such high level that it might be better to look into that.

With that option you also always have the camera on you instead of trying to find it when they do something cool or finding out that the cameras battery is dead.

So my advise would be look into what they have or whats on offer from their phone company? Free or discounted phone with a 12mb camera?

• This is easy.

If they want something upgradable: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023353-REG/

If they want something portable: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/869238-REG/

• Thanks so much guys. I have forwarded the information on. That Sony camera looks awesome and exactly what they are looking for.

Take it easy.

Dweez