GoPro Alternatives

Created by jasoncolliver on March 15, 2015, 5:36 p.m.
  • I know that Will and Norm had a discussion a few weeks ago about GoPro alternatives that were cheaper and possibly even better. I remember one of them being the Xiaomi Yi. Being that you can't get those stateside (yet), anyone remember the other alternatives discussed? I really thought it was on a TIOAT, but it could have been a Still Untitled...

HELP!

• I know that Mythbusters has gone over to using more Black Magics, but those aren't really cheaper ;)

It really depends on what level you want to film?

• This is the camera that Norm mentioned...

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/

• My wife and I are headed to New Zealand next month.

We'll be staying in Auckland, New Plymouth, Wellington, Napier, and Tauranga.

Do you have any recommendations for things to do?

• What are you planning on doing with the camera? I've used a GoPro when I go surfing for years now, and it's never gone wrong for me, unless it was my fault.

• @mclaren777 said:

My wife and I are headed to New Zealand next month.

We'll be staying in Auckland, New Plymouth, Wellington, Napier, and Tauranga.

Do you have any recommendations for things to do?

I'll PM you.

• Thanks. I'll look forward to it.

• What's the battery life on the Mobius? I've been thinking about getting a couple for my Quad but also I'm looking at getting a few cameras to replace my GoPro for longer motorbike adventures.
    Originally I thought that the Mobius would be too cheaply put together and crappy for something more demanding like motorcycle work but if someone has had some comments I'd love to hear them.

• @CanCer: The mobius is actually reasonably sturdy in the sense that it's so light and small that you don't have to be careful with it, and mounting it is a piece of cake.

I've not flattened the thing entirely yet but I have got 2-3 hours of footage from a single charge so far. That's got to be close to flattening it though I'd expect.

• I have an SJ 4000 and am pretty happy with it, however, now that gopro themselves have the El cheapo 4 (isn't that also around 100usd?) I'm not sure if that's still the best option. Also the SJ 5000 is out.

• Today i ordered a xiaomi yi, should be home in a month from china. If you guys want i can do some hard testing and post what i think about it with some samples. Anyone interested?

• I haven't had a chance to listen to that podcast yet but I just thought I would throw out my 2¢ too. I don't have an action cam yet but I have been seriously considering getting one. I have been taking a long hard look at different cameras and right now the Replay XD has my attention. Supposedly it is super rugged and inherently waterproof with no extra case needed. Plus right now they are going for $95 on Amazon.

I was also just looking at that Mobius camera, and it looks like a really good deal too. Right now they are going for $85 on Amazon, but the only issue is there is nothing that says whether or not they are waterproof. That is going to be a necessity for me since my primary use for an action cam would be recording water skiers and wake boarders. Still I may have to check those out because that is a good price.

• you should really check out the new TOMTOM Bandit , it is impressive

• Wow that Tomtom looks really nice. I think it is going to be a little too expensive for me though. Sub $100 is where I need to be to be able to justify it.

• I have had some success with the Ricoh "Pentax" Wg-3. They are pretty inexpensive.