Processing RAW files on Macs

Created by Darren on Nov. 22, 2014, 8:30 p.m.
  • Hi everybody,

I have a question about processing RAW files. I recently came back from a vacation to the Galapagos and decided to shoot my pictures mainly in JPG but also some in RAW. I wanted to learn about processing RAW files as I've been told that I can have better control in editing them.

Using OSX Yosemite, I don't have Lightroom (although I am going to download the trial version from Adobe to test it) or Aperature. I only have iPhotos. In iPhotos, I can view the RAW files and edit them but it looks like I can do the same edits on the JPG files. So I guess, what's the difference?

Is Adobe Lightroom worth it? Is it easy to use/learn?

Thanks

• Yes, Lightroom would still be worth it even if it cost twice as much (which it recently did: $299 vs. $149).

I made a 12-part tutorial series if you're interested...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiAczLhxwmwO3ydaTu_GBXwnjg3e3wJ-Q

• You can also get Lightroom for a few bucks a month via Creative Cloud to try it out before buying. I'd say it is a pretty safe buy, though.

• @mclaren777: Wow. Thanks. I just got the 30 day trial so I'll watch your videos and see what I can do with my pictures. Thank you.

• More than likely your camera came with software that would allow you to work with your RAW images as well. If not almost everyone has a download from the official sources.