New HTC Camera - "Re"

Created by Anominal on Oct. 9, 2014, 9:38 a.m.
  • What an awkward name. But what do you guys think?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/8/6946547/htc-re-camera-announcement-price

Most people see no purpose to this thing, but if the camera is actually good, (and all upskirt comments aside), this is the kind of camera I would be more comfortable using when first experimenting with street photography.

I'm still very much in an exploration phase in what types of photography I like best, and I'm for sure going to be wandering around SF more and trying out more night photography, timelapses, architecture, etc. But there are defintiely also some areas where I wouldn't feel safe carrying around my DSLR. So I'm definitely open to hearing more about how it performs.

• I'm honestly not sure what I think about this camera. It seems like a product without a niche to fill. It's like it is almost an action style camera (like a GoPro) but without the focus on action. Honestly I think most of the use cases for this could just be filled by the camera on your phone. It really doesn't seem to have noticeably better specs than most cell phone cameras and seems fairly expensive for what it is. Honestly at $70~$80 I could see these selling pretty well but I guess we will just have to wait and see once they actually start making it out into the wild.