Looking for ideas for photographs at Cons

Created by Trinkle on April 7, 2014, 8:13 p.m.
  • I have been a fan of taking pictures of geek things like SCA reenactment events and Ren Faires. I have been branching out to other geeky outlets, and I am very excited to be attending a Raven Con, a local SciFi con, later this month.

One thing I like to do is give myself a challenge or an assignment to help me push my photography a little when I go to events. I have done things like "use just one lens" or "ten pictures from one spot" in the past. So I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for a challenge or assignment I can do at Raven Con?

• i like looking at my past library and thinking about what kinds of photos are missing: group shots, candid moments, booth setups, and then make an effort to shoot more of those. It's nice to come back with an SD card full of images that are more diverse than portraits.

• Thanks for the advice Norm!

I have added things like groups shots, actions shots, kids in cosplay (with parent permission) and things like that. Also, I am taking the view that I am photographing Raven Con for publication. Looking to make that editorial feel to tell the story of the Con.

• Just thought I would share what I ended up with at the end of Raven Con 2014: http://oneguyphotography.smugmug.com/RavenCon-2014/