Post your photography kit

Created by stenchlord on Dec. 17, 2013, 8:17 a.m.
  • The new family :D

• Olympus OM-D E-M1
    • Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens
    • Olympus 17mm f/1.8
    • Olympus 25mm f/1.8
    • Olympus 45mm f/1.8
  • Nice kit.

• Anyone who happens to have a micro four thirds camera really needs to check out the Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f/1.2, the lens costs an arm and a leg but my god can it produce some gorgeous images.... Review Link

The Olympus 75mm f/1.8 is another gorgeous portrait lens too and definitely worth a look at for any micro four thirds user.

I have to say though that I'm really, really happy with the quality of the lenses that are being released for the M43 format and for the most part I think they're pretty reasonably priced for what they are but in the end what really impresses me is the weight...

• Olympus OM-D E-M1 (with battery and memory card) - 497g -- 1.1lbs
    • Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens - 382g -- 13.5oz
    • Olympus 17mm f/1.8 - 120g -- 4.23 oz
    • Olympus 25mm f/1.8 - 137g -- 4.83oz
    • Olympus 45mm f/1.8 - 115g -- 4.06oz
  • After finally realizing there's only so good a photo you can take with an iPhone I sucked it up and spent some dosh on a proper camera. I went the Micro Four Thirds route (due to size) and got a Lumix G6. I desperately wanted the GH4, but couldn't justify the cost. Anyway, I got it with the standard 14-42mm kit lens and a good bag etc. My question for those of you with 4/3 cameras is, what is my next essential purchase in terms of a good lens? Cheers.

EDIT: Just saw the post above me!

• @daniel1981: Depends on the kind of photography you're most interested in, I assume since you went for Panasonic that you're more interested in the video than stills?

The 14-42 should be good enough for the majority of things you're shooting during the day since both versions have OIS. For any indoor/night/low-light photography you may wish to go with a faster prime if you intend to shoot with just ambient lighting (i.e. not using a flash or external strobes).

If you want a wide-angle then the Olympus 12mm f/2.0 would be my choice, it's expensive but worth it in my opinion. This is more suited to landscapes and such but could easily be utilised as a fast indoor prime with some interesting results. "Budget" solution would be something like the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 or the Olympus 17mm f/2.8 (or the f/1.8 for a little more). The Olympus 17/2.8 isn't the best performing lens but it's not a bad lens by any means and for the price it's hard to complain but if you can afford the 1.8 version it's definitely worth the extra money.

Standard prime would be something like the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 or the Olympus 25mm f/1.8, the Panasonic in my opinion produces a better photo when used indoors but outdoors in sunlight you'll likely notice more chromatic abherations (purple or green fringing). The Olympus doesn't open as wide but it's cheaper by a couple hundred bucks and it's much lighter while producing beautiful photos. There's also the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 as well which is another decently priced, well performing prime.

If you're looking for a portraiture lens then the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 or the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2 are probably as good as you're going to get, these rival the pro-grade lenses from the DSLR range (Canon/Nikon). They will also cost about the same lol. A "budget" solution would be to check out the Olympus 45mm f/1.8, this produces fantastic images and can be had pretty damn cheap considering the quality of photos it can produce.

Other option would be what I've suggested in the post above yours. The CCTV lenses may seem like a weird option but they can definitely produce a unique image and for the cost, I think it's worth trying them out for a bit of fun. The 35mm f/1.7 seems to be the most popular of the three and I've yet to receive my 25/1.4 and 50/1.4 so am unsure on how they will perform but the 35/1.7 seems to be well liked.

• Here's my kit:

Canon SD1100

Velbon tripod

Quark RGB LED

This is what I do:

• @stenchlord: That's a wealth of info! Thanks for taking the time to post. Those Fujian lens look like fun and as you say, for the price you can't really go wrong. Think I may just jump in with those for a bit of experimentation before splashing out on an expensive lens.

Thanks again.

• @Havegoals: That's an awesome shot, tried converting it to black and white?

@daniel1981: No problems mate, try out the 35mm f/1.7 first. As mentioned it's been tried and tested by many others so less likely to have any issues with it. Keep in mind that the Fujian lenses are all manual focus too. I think this will benefit you in the long run though as it'll help you to take notice of your shots more and be more aware of things like composition and context.

• @stenchlord: Sorry for being dense, but this is the one I want right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35mm-f-1-7-Fujian-CCTV-cine-lens-for-Olympus-Panasonic-/180712412704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a134c9620

• @daniel1981: It's the correct lens. You should be able to get it cheaper. Around $27-$35USD shipped from Hong Kong.

EDIT: $27USD with free international shipping - Link

Seller has 37k sales with 99.6% positive feedback. Same seller has it in silver for the same price if you'd prefer silver too.

Going for one that asks you to pay for shipping may arrive faster or have tracking on it though so you'll have to check if that's the case and if so, whether or not it's worth paying the extra.

• @stenchlord: That's great, cheers for the help.

• @stenchlord: My 35mm CCTV lens came yesterday, had a quick play around last night and it produces really interesting photos.

Have just ordered the 25mm & 50mm lenses!

Thanks again for the recommendation.

• @daniel1981: No problems mate, I haven't taken mine out yet but have mucked around with them indoors. It seems they have no glare coating on them so they produce lens flare stupid easy so it can make for some interesting shots cause the flare itself is really weird.

Minimum focusing distance on the 50mm is huge though so would work best as a headshot portrait type lens. The 25mm is also about half the width of the 35 and 50mm so it looks rediculously tiny on my camera lol but as mentioned, they seem like they can be a lot of fun to use as long as you have the time to compose lol.

• I traded my Oly 12-40mm f/2.8 for an Oly 12mm f/2 and Oly 60mm f/2.8 macro.

There was no real point having the 12-40 considering I also have the 17/1.8, 25/1.8 and 45/1.8 lenses so the 12 and the 60 actually extend my range.

• Which is your favorite lens of the bunch?

• I haven't had enough time with the 12/2 and 60/2.8 (only got them the day before last) to definitively say which is my fave among all 5 of my lenses but if I had to hazard a guess as to which I will use the most, it'll likely be 12/2 and 45/1.8 I think.

• I previously had:

Canon T1i

18-55mm kit lens

50mm 1.8 prime lens

However, I wanted an upgrade and since I didn't have much in the way of lenses or kit, I was enticed by Nikon. I now have:

NIkon d5200

kit 18-55mm lens

55-200mm VR lens

Lowpro aw170 bag (I really like the size of it. Big enough for everything I have, plus another lens or two, but small enough to take around easily.)

Spare battery

All in all, I've really enjoyed the new camera. The AF system is, IMO a lot nicer, and the ISO performance is in a different league all together. I would like to eventually add a nice 35mm prime, and a macro lens of some sort as well, but those will be down the line a ways.

• I prefer the Nikon system over the Canon despite originally being a Canon user. The D5200 is a nice camera, I personally would have spent the little extra to go for the D5300 but you'll still be very happy with the D5200.

• @stenchlord said:

I prefer the Nikon system over the Canon despite originally being a Canon user. The D5200 is a nice camera, I personally would have spent the little extra to go for the D5300 but you'll still be very happy with the D5200.

I debated between the two and if the extra 150-200 was worth it or not, especially since I landed the d5200 for just under 600 bucks. From what I read, ISO performance was about the same in the 6400 ISO and below range, which is the max the either one really allows you to do much with. The 1080p 60 vs 30 was also tempting, but 30 is good enough for me, and I don't really plan on using that feature real often anyway. The removal of the antialiasing filter is also nice, but from what I read you can't really tell on anything less than high end glass, which I don't forsee me ever really investing heavily in. Other than that, there weren't any differences that I could tell that were anything other than cosmetic.

However, if I missed something major, let me know, as I still have a week to change my mind. lol.

• You've pretty much covered it all cept the wireless functionality. D5300 has it built-in so you can transfer photos wireless to a phone or tablet or use the device as a remote for the camera. Was something I thought I'd occasionally use but I use it all the time with my Oly.

However, considering the rest you're definitely fine with the D5200. The rear display on the 5300 has a higher resolution but it's also slightly larger, still a nicer screen but nothing major and only other cosmetic change is the 5300 is lighter and smaller (by a small margin).

No low pass filter and wireless are the two major things that would have had me forking out the extra cash but only if the prices were relatively similar.

• @stenchlord: Yeah, I forgot about the wireless. I've never really needed that before, and I'm ok not having it for now and an Eye-fi card or the dongle can add it later. The no low pass filter almost had me convinced, but I just couldn't justify it for 250 bucks knowing that I might never see the difference. I have to say, the new kit lens is a little nicer feeling, though I don't know if it's better optically or not.

• @tom032792: I'm not a huge fan of the ergonomics of the new kit lens but Nikon usually have been better kits than Canon optically (although Canon are trying to rectify this).

Personally I'd have passed on the kit lenses but that's just cause I'm fussy lol. I'd have chosen a body and sunk some extra cash into picking up either a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 or a 50mm f/1.8

Either way though have fun with the new camera, I look forward to seeing your photos in the latest photo thread.

• Canon 5D Mark III

Canon 7D

Canon G15

Graflex Speed Graphic with 4x5 graflock and a 120 camelot back

( I shoot large format slide film and develop at home using a DIY Sous Vide device to control my water/chemical temps )

50mm 1.4

15mm 2.8

24-70 2.8L

70-200 2.8L v2

I shoot a lot of commercial and conceptual work so include various Paul C. Buff lighting gear compatible with Einstein 640s

Oh I forgot to mention, I shoot with an eyefi card to send small Jpgs direct to Ipad for clients on location to review during the shoot.

• I have put up my Nex 5n kit for sale, I will miss it, but excited to see what my next camera will be!

• Do you have enough money to buy a Fuji X-T1?

• @mclaren777 said:

Do you have enough money to buy a Fuji X-T1?

I am going to save up a few months to buy some new gear before I go to new Zealand for a month for Christmas so anything is kind of possible. I was looking at the D5300 as a possible option as I am trying to get a DSLR with a smallish body, I was looking at the canon 60d or 70d as I like that it is fairly small and includes a top LCD. I am going to looking at all my options though! I am just scared that the fuji has a limited lens line up like the Nex does.

• I dunno that I'd call the 60/70Ds small lol. Specially if you're coming from an NEX 5N.

If you're considering the D5300 then mirrorless cameras around the same cost that I would take into consideration would be the Panasonic Lumix GX7, Sony A6000 and Olympus OM-D E-M5. If you can stretch the budget (nearly double lol) then the X-T1, E-M1, GH4 would be awesome choices.

If you think you'd prefer DSLR, despite being a Canon guy myself, I'd recommend going with Nikon. Their "lower end/entry level" DSLRs offer better bang for buck in my opinion.

EDIT: I'd also like to say, don't buy your camera just before you go away. You should really get in some practice with it before you leave for your trip, nothing would piss me off more than going away and then missing a shot just because I didn't familiarise myself with my gear.

• I just had "one of those days" and I was reminded why I hate using crop-sensor cameras.

I really need to rent the Fuji X-T1 the next time I second-shoot a wedding with my buddy. If anything can save the format for me, that might be it.

• @stenchlord said:

I dunno that I'd call the 60/70Ds small lol. Specially if you're coming from an NEX 5N.

If you're considering the D5300 then mirrorless cameras around the same cost that I would take into consideration would be the Panasonic Lumix GX7, Sony A6000 and Olympus OM-D E-M5. If you can stretch the budget (nearly double lol) then the X-T1, E-M1, GH4 would be awesome choices.

If you think you'd prefer DSLR, despite being a Canon guy myself, I'd recommend going with Nikon. Their "lower end/entry level" DSLRs offer better bang for buck in my opinion.

EDIT: I'd also like to say, don't buy your camera just before you go away. You should really get in some practice with it before you leave for your trip, nothing would piss me off more than going away and then missing a shot just because I didn't familiarise myself with my gear.

Yeah, the Canon 70d is definitely bigger than the nex lol, but definitely not as bulky or heavy as most pro-grade full frame stuff! I grotesquely large hands so bigger equipment was never a turn off, but holding an OG Canon 5D is crazy, that thing is a brick!

I'll absolutely look into those mirrorless options. The two things I need in a new camera body/system are:

-flip out LCD for selfies (I know totally dumb, but having all of the photos taken of me and my wife on vacation by strangers/friends is a real bummer so I am going to bring a small monopod and get some decently composed vacation photos)

- decent lens selection as this won't be my forever body, i would like to invest in some nicer glass.

I will probably be buying a body + a general walkabout lens, a super wide for wide angle astrophotography and then a portrait (35mm or 50mm)

I will definitely be buying it before the trip and shooting the hell out of it, hah!

• My new camera. 4x5 wide angle pinhole camera from The Lenseless Camera Mfg. Co.

Once I get my darkroom set up sometime next month I'll can start developing film myself. I'm not big into digital cameras.