Post your photography kit

Created by stenchlord on Dec. 17, 2013, 8:17 a.m.
  • @Artso: It's no problems. Don't underestimate the kit lens though. I remember taking some pretty nice shots with my old kit Canon lens that is universally panned as being complete crap (it was the original Canon EFS 18-55 that came with a 400D).

Things to note when using a kit lens: Don't shoot at the widest focal length, distortion is pretty noticeable. Don't shoot with aperture wide open, CAs and vignetting will be very apparent. The lens once stopped down will get pretty decent resolution figures, stopping down the lens will also help reduce CA and vignetting.

The following photos were all taken with the kit Canon 18-55:

This one I believe was taken with the kit 75-300mm:

• Here's a controversial statement: nobody's photography "kit" should lack software like Lightroom.

Cameras, lens, and other accessories are important, but nothing will improve your images more than post-production.

• I agree that everyone should have some form of editing software. I don't agree that pp will be the thing that most improves your images.

It definitely can make a big difference with little effort but the thing that will improve everyone's images the most is hard work and time.

Photography is 10% equipment, 20% patience and 70% skill. Give great photographers a crappy camera and they'll create something interesting. Give crap photographers the best equipment available and they'll end up with something mediocre.

EDIT: I'd say I've proven that with my own images, I use some pretty decent equipment and am yet to created something that is in my opinion really beautiful.

• Humm I am gonna be on mclarens side of the fence on this. Though I didn't really consider these things to be part of my photographic kit before this was mentioned I see where hes coming from and do agree.

In film based photography how you develop your film is part of the art, and talent that you bring to the table as a photographer. The care and time put into developing an image the way you originally saw it or how you saw it in your head really comes into its own during this process.

With digital photography it still comes into play. Things like white balance are generally needed to be adjusted. While the ability to set and forget for developing settings tends to help you optimize and speed up the amount of time it takes. There are generally small tweaks that most things need to during this post process that really make or break an image.

Now I am not saying that post production is an excuse to take bad photographs to begin with. While there are plenty of times you can salvage a bad shot in post. Which more patience and skill can make up for to begin with. Its always better to start off with a good image thats well shot. Though at the same time there are conceptual images that even through traditional film developing techniques would not otherwise be possible if not for the disciplines and techniques of post processing.

• @stenchlord: I like the idea of that, I've seen simiar systems. I certainly like something that teathers the setup to my chest. Cause the last thing I want is my camera clunking around against my chest, or the lens swinging wildly. Which is so many times worse when your going through brush, and have an almost 3' long lens mounted.

• @TsunamiJuan: I ordered the V1 and the V2 Pro since I was interested in seeing exactly what improvements were made once proper designers were hired to refine the clip and I wanted to get a micro plate for my EOS M too so it wasn't much extra to get the clip with the plate, not to mention I wanted the Pro Pad too and it's also not available locally for me to buy.

I'll take some photos once I've got them both, the V1 + Dual Plate (compatible with Manfrotto RC2 mounted heads) I have already since a local place sold it, the V2 (with Micro Plate) and the Pro Pad I had to order directly from Peak Design and they'll hopefully arrive in a week or two.

Initial impressions (on the V1) are that it's a little rough around the edges but I still kinda like it. The clip itself kinda rattles when you shake it, mostly due to the red plastic lock release, it doesn't shake so much that it'll release a camera (least I don't think so) and the anodised (I think it's anodised) aluminium already has marks on it since I've missed sliding the plate in a couple times already while testing.

The clamps to hold the clip together feel pretty solid but they can be a little difficult to get a grip on when trying to tighten them and because there are springs threaded through they do make a weird grinding sound when you tighten them up.

With a Canon EOS 50D + Canon EF 24-105mm on a backpack (Lowepro CompuDay Photo 250) it pulls hard on the shoulder strap but with a little adjustment it works well and doesn't feel too unbalanced (camera still tips forwards and swings around a bit). I believe it would feel a whole lot more comfortable if there was a sternum clip on this particular bag holding the shoulder straps in place. I've got some bags with the sternum strap/clip so I'll test it on those to confirm my prediction later.

Overall it feels like it would be MUCH better suited to smaller bodies (xx0D, 4/3rds and P&S') but it's definitely more comfortable for me than a shoulder strap or outright just holding the camera in my hand all day.

Will have to take it out a couple times to get a better feel for it and indication of how it performs though. I'll also test it out on an arrangement of camera bags and standard bags (Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home, Crumpler Skivvy S, Lowepro Photo Hatchback 16L AW, Lowepro CompuDay Photo 250, Lowepro Pro Runner 350 AW).

• V2 and Pro Pad arrived today :D

• After a decade with Canon DSLRs I bit the bullet and changed a 4/3 format to lighten my travel load:

1. Olympus OM-D
    2. 14-42mm kit lens
    3. 40-150mm kit lens
    4. 17mm prime lens (this is on the camera 80-90% of the time)

All packed in a Crumpler 6 Million Dollar bag or I throw the camera on a gunslinger strap for photo walks. I also have a Manfrotto tripod and Gorillapod that get occasional use along with an underused GoPro 2.
  • @Seattle-Maddog: The M43 range has come quite a long way in a very short time. I was playing around with an EM1 and while it was great, I just couldn't justify dropping that amount of cash on it considering what gear I currently have.

Still, the thought of picking up a secondhand EM5 has definitely tugged at the wallet a couple times.

Definitely toyed with the idea of picking up:

• OMD EM5
    • Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8
    • Olympus 17mm f/1.8
    • Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro
  • Updated list of gear.

Bodies & Lenses

• Canon EOS 50D
    • Canon EOS M
    • Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
    • Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    • Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
    • Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    • Sigma AF 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM "A"
    • Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
    • Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    • Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    • Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
    • Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    • Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro

Lens Accessories

• Canon EF-M Lens Mount Adapter
    • Canon Tripod Mount Ring A II (70-200/4L IS)
    • Canon EW-83H Lens Hood (10-22/24-105mm)
    • Canon ET-74 Lens Hood (70-200/4L IS)
    • Sigma Barrel Lens Hood (30/1.4)
    • Tamron Barrel Lens Hood (90/2.8)
    • Cokin P Series Filters (2/4/8 Stop - ND/GND)
    • Hoya Pro 1 D 55mm UV Filter
    • Hoya Pro 1 D 77mm UV Filter
    • Hoya Pro 1 D 77mm CPL Filter
    • Hoya HMC 67mm UV Filter

Flashes & Remotes

• Canon Speedlite 430EX II
    • Canon Speedlite 90EX
    • 3 x Yongnuo YN-560III Speedlite
    • Yongnuo RF-603C Wireless Trigger + 2 x Receivers
    • Stofen Omni-Bounce Diffuser
    • 3 x Pixco Pro Soft Box Flash Diffuser
    • Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote

Batteries

• Canon LP-E12 Battery
    • Canon BP-511A Battery
    • 2 x Phottix BP-511A Batteries
    • Panasonic CGA-S005E
    • 24 x Sanyo Eneloop AA Batteries
    • Canon LC-E12 Battery Charger
    • Canon CG-580 Battery Charger
    • Nitecore i4 Intellicharger

Memory Cards

• Lexar 4GB Class 4 SD Card
    • Adata 8GB Class 6 SD Card
    • SanDisk Extreme 16GB SD Card
    • SanDisk Extreme 32GB SD Card
    • SanDisk Ultra 64GB UHS-1 MicroSD Card + SD Adapter
    • SanDisk Ultra 16GB CF Card
    • 2 x SanDisk Extreme 16GB CF Cards

Bags

• Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home
    • Lowepro CompuDay Photo 250
    • Lowepro Photo Hatchback 16L AW
    • Lowepro Pro Runner 350 AW

Tripods & Monopods

• Joby DSLR GorillaPod
    • Vanguard Alta Pro 264AT Tripod Legs
    • Vanguard GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head
    • Manfrotto 294 Carbon Fibre Monopod
    • Manfrotto 494RC2 Micro Ball Head

Straps & Carrying Systems

• Joby DSLR Wrist Strap
    • Joby UltraFit Sling Strap
    • Peak Design Capture Clip (V1)
    • Peak Design Capture Clip (V2)
    • Peak Design Micro Plate
    • Peak Design Dual Plate
    • Peak Design Pro Pad
  • Put down a deposit for an Olympus OM-D E-M1 + 12-40mm f/2.8

Will slowly start to sell off my Canon gear now lol. Already sold off the 24-105L, 50/1.4 and 85/1.8

• You sold the most common/versatile lenses first?

• I sold those lenses cause that's what people wanted first lol and remember I use a 50D crop body. Not quite as versatile as they would be on a FF sensor.

50/1.4 and 85/1.8 I don't use often because I prefer the 40/2.8 and the 90/2.8.

24-105L is fine to sell off cause it's being replaced by the 12-40/2.8 which is 24-80mm equivalent on the OM-D.

Once the 30/1.4, 40/2.8 and 50/1.8 are sold off, I'll pick up a 17/1.8 (34mm)

When the 70-200/4L IS USM is sold of I'll use the cash to pick up a 35-100/2.8 (70-200)

• Picked up the E-M1 + 12-40 ahead of schedule :D

Super excited to get out there and take some photos, looks like it might take a little to get used to the controls and menu system.

• @stenchlord said:

Picked up the E-M1 + 12-40 ahead of schedule :D

Super excited to get out there and take some photos, looks like it might take a little to get used to the controls and menu system.

That E-M1 is pretty hot, looking forward to some new photos from you!

• @stenchlord Why did you choose the Olympus E-M1 over the Fuji T-X1?

• I feel like it would be facetious of me at this point to post a phonecam photo of my Minolta SR-T 201 rig, particularly since I haven't used it since they stopped making Kodachrome.

• @mclaren777: Major reason was ergonomics, the grip on the E-M1 makes it much easier to hold and operate for longer periods of time, the buttons are MUCH easier to press and the layout just feels more comfortable for me to use due to having a more "traditional" DSLR layout.

Other things like the single AF performance I felt was better on the E-M1 as well as the 81 point AF points, the 1/8000 - 60sec shutter speed range, in-body IS, higher ISO range (while the image will be grainy as fuck, it's better to have a grainy image than no image), also considering I prefer street photography and landscapes the reduced DoF due to the smaller sensor at the same aperture (so f/1.4 gives the DoF of f/2.8 on the E-M1) is beneficial to me and of course the range of lenses currently available. Then there are other things that might not be super important but are nice to have like the amount of customisable function buttons on the camera, a touch screen, better app control with WiFi, the 5 stop exposure compensation range and cheaper cost of the lenses.

In the end it wasn't a matter of finding which was the better camera of the two, it was a matter of finding which was the better camera for me.

The X-T1 definitely has better image quality, the current crop of lenses I would say also produce better image quality. The viewfinder on the X-T1 is also a little nicer to look at and the camera definitely has better continuous AF as well as being lighter and more compact (if this is what you're looking for) and of course due to the larger sensor you get more DoF. So it's just a matter of choosing what matters to you most.

• Canon 50D + 24-105mm f/4L IS vs Olympus E-M1 + 12-40mm f/2.8

lol big difference in weight. 1.464kg vs 0.920kg (3.23lbs vs 2.03lbs).

• I can't see myself jumping on the mirrorless train, but there's a good chance I might drop $3000-4000 on an X-T1 setup in 2015 for my wife. If the 16-55mm and 50-140mm lenses are legit, that could be her next system.

• @YoThatLimp: I think I have them both set to ISO 800 1/30 at 5.0. They are sitting on tripods right beside each other. I jammed them on imgur because I am too lazy to upload anywhere good and tested doesn't like the 70d's 5.5mb file.

NEX F3:

Canon 70d:

• @Civvie said:

@YoThatLimp: I think I have them both set to ISO 800 1/30 at 5.0. They are sitting on tripods right beside each other. I jammed them on imgur because I am too lazy to upload anywhere good and tested doesn't like the 70d's 5.5mb file.

NEX F3:

Canon 70d:

Thanks a bunch man! I want to upgrade from a Nex 5N to a 70d since I am going to be traveling quite a lot this year on planes and I was nervous it might be a bit too large but it doesn't look like a huge step up in physical size (I am sure it weighs quite a bit more but that isn't a huge deal to me).

• @YoThatLimp: Yeah if you think the NEX is a good weight the 70d is going to be real change. My hands start to hurt with the 70d because it way heavier. It is likely less a huge weight difference and more me just having baby hands.

• If you guys were local, I'd have been happy meeting up so we could muck around with each others gear.

As you could prolly tell I still have my 50D, I even still have my EOS M. Oh well, c'est la vie lol.

• Having someone else close who understands half of what I talk about would be really nice. lol

• I know that feeling, I have two friends who I have gotten into photography and taught them the basics. One of them, Kate, is now a self-employed wedding photographer who has much more skill than I could ever hope to achieve lol. Very proud of her, she was always interested but would have to borrow her school's old camera gear which required jumping through many hoops so instead I lent her my equipment (back when I was using a Canon 350/400D) after teaching her the basics of how to use them and from their her passion for it just continued to grow.

• I have to say that I am fairly happy with the gear that I have managed to accumulate over the years. I haven't yet settled in any one particular niche of photography yet and so I am still trying to play jack of all trades - That just means I am forever lusting over some random piece of kit!

How I got here:

I tend to make do with the cheap version of a particular piece of kit while I research and save for what I think is the best/shiniest replacement out there - eg: I started out with a Canon 400D for years, started with the 17-85mm enthusiast lens before I upgraded to the EF 24-70 2.8L with a cheapo battery grip. Batted around on that combo for a few years until I could convince the credit company to finance a 5D Mk3 body and battery grip. I used my dad's 30 year old el-cheapo tripod with an added Manfrotto quick release plate until I could afford the carbon fibre tripod with a ball head.

Where to from here?

Of course there are still quite a few bits and pieces that I would like to acquire if I manage to scrape enough $$$ together and the other half isn't looking!

You can have a look at some of my photos here: jasonmcmahon76 (Jason McMahon) on deviantART

(Please ignore the horrendously out-of-date blog! LOL)

My Kit:

• Canon 5D Mark III with battery grip and Really Right Stuff L-Plate
    • Canon EF 24-70 F2.8L
    • Canon EF 70-200 F4L
    • Canon EF 1.4x Extender
    • Kenko extension tube set
    • Canon 580 Ex II / Nikon SB-26 / Yongnuo YN-560 II speedlights
    • 2x Honl speed straps and assorted gel filters
    • 2x Pixel TD-381 speedlight battery packs
    • BlackRapid RS-4 Strap
    • 5x Yongnuo YN-622c / 3x Yongnuo RF-603c remote flash triggers
    • Manfrotto 190 CXPRO3 carbon fibre tripod withReally RIght Stuff BH-55 ballhead and Really Right Stuff B2 AS II
    • Various generic brand flash umbrellas and soft boxes
    • 44" 5 in 1 reflector
    • 4x Manfrotto 1052BAC light stands and Manfrotto 272 background support pole
    • Crumpler "Karachi Outpost" - Medium backpack
    • Think Tank Photo Pro Speed Belt V2.0 with Lens Changer 35 V2.0, Lens Changer 75 Pop Down V 2.0, R U Hot? and Lens Drop pouches.

Wishlist:

• Lenses: Something wider than 24mm: Canon EF 16-35mm II F2.8L or Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L
    • Lenses: Upgrading to an EF 70-200 f/2.8L
    • Lenses: Something longer than 200mm: Maybe a Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L Plus a monopod.
    • Lenses: Something Macro.
    • Beltkit: Add a Think Tank Photo Pixel Racing Harness V2.0
    • Flash: Would love a LightwareDirect Foursquare Kit (Not to mention enough speedlights to go around!)
    • Studio Flash: Elnchrom D Lite RX-4 Studio Kit
  • There are far better kits out there, but here's what I'm working with these days.

• Canon 6D
    • Canon 7D
    • Fuji x100s
    • Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    • Canon 17-40mm f/4 L
    • Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art
    • Canon 50mm f/1.4
    • Canon 40mm f/2.8
    • Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L Non-IS
    • Canon 430EX II Speedlight

Accessories

• A pair of Sennheiser lavalier microphones
    • Shure SM57
    • Zoom h4n field recorder
    • LED video light
    • Crumpler 6 million dollar home
    • Dakine Sequence camera backpack
    • A handfull Domke Gripper straps
    • Mefoto Roadtrip tripod
    • Fotodiox Pro Macro Extension Tube
    • Canon battery grips
    • Giottos rocket blower
    • Blackrapid Sport
    • Extra batteries, Canon AC adapter
    • B+W UV filters
    • Pelican 1510 case
  • I just added a bunch of filters to my kit.

• Lee SW150 Filter holder 150mm
    • Lee SW150 to standard 100mm Mount adapater
    • Graduated ND filters hard and soft 0.3 - 0.9
    • Lee 105mm CPL
    • Lee 105mm LPL
    • Lee 105mm Polariser mount for 100mm System
    • 100mm Nd filter set 0.3-3.9

haven't had a ton of time to play with them yet, but they make a world of Difference when shooting landscapes. Or partially into the sun.

• Some nice gear listed here recently. Pretty much all my gear is gone now, only have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART but at least I now have my E-M1, 12-40/2.8, 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 to tide me over, next lens on the books will be the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 and then I'll be happy keeping it at that until the Oly 40-150mm f/2.8 gets released. Although I might just go with the Panasonic 35-10mm f/2.8.