Post your photography kit

Created by stenchlord on Dec. 17, 2013, 8:17 a.m.
  • Considering the responses to Norm's latest Living with Photography article I figured this might be something fun for the community.

Post up what you use -- whether it be your phone, a simple point & shoot, a mirrorless, DSLR or maybe even film?

Here's my current kit:

• Canon EOS 50D Body
    • Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    • Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM ART
    • Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    • Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    • Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
    • Canon Speedlite 430EX II

If I'm looking for something more compact and lightweight to carry around with me this is usually what I go with:

• Canon EOS M Body + EOS EFM Adapter
    • Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
    • Canon Speedlite 90EX
    • Google Nexus 5

I only got the EOS M recently but it's been interesting to use. I'm not loving it but it's been fun to play around with.

Also I don't own one yet but am looking to pick up a Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro specifically to use for product shots of my figurine and watch collection. I'll also likely pick up a 580EX II and keep my 430EX II as a slave or for when I want to travel slightly lighter. I'm still weighing up whether or not it's worth investing in a proper lighting setup..

Have also got the other usual accesories as you'd expect...

• Joby DSLR Wrist Strap
    • Joby UltraFit Sling Camera Strap
    • Joby GorillaPod
    • Manfrotto 190XB Aluminium Tripod
    • Manfrotto 324RC2 Joystick Head
    • Manfrotto MM394 Aluminium Monopod
    • Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote Control
    • Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home
    • Lowepro Photo Hatchback 16L AW Backpack
    • Various Filters (UV/CPL/GND), Flash Diffusers (Stofen/Lightsphere) & Memory Cards (SD/CF)
  • So I'm getting ready to make my fist big camera purchase, and have been looking at the EOS-M and the Rebel T3. I'm mainly going to be shooting YouTube video and stills of finished props. The secondary use will be for pics at Cons and charity events. I had a chance to play around with a Rebel before, but I have been seeing EOS-M's on sale at a few places for pretty good prices ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1Y318J6905) and was wondering what your experience with it has been?

ps

Sorry this really isn't on topic

• My stuffs!

• Canon 6D
    • Sony NEX-5R (w/ 18-55mm kit lens)
    • Canon 17-40mm f/4 L
    • Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L
    • Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    • Yongnuo Speedlite YN560 Flash

Accessories

• Crumpler 6 million dollar home
    • Incase DSLR Pro pack
    • Blackrapid RS-4
    • Joby Gorillapod Ballhead X
    • Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 tripod
    • Fotodiox Pro Macro Extension Tube
    • Giottos rocket blower
    • Extra batteries, Canon AC adapter
  • My collection is continueing to grow on a weekly basis

here is the main camera lens stuffz

• Canon 5D Mk3
    • Canon 70D
    • Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L
    • Canon 100mm f2.8 L macro
    • Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II
    • Canon 70-300 f4-5.6
    • Tamron 18-50 f2.8
    • 3x Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
    • Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
    • Canon Extender EF 1.4X III
    • Canon Extender EF 2XII
    • 3x Canon Extension Tube 25 II
    • Canon 500D 77mm Close-up front element
    • 1970 Baronica Medium format Film camera
    • An assortment of 1950's to 70's spy/concealed reconnaissance cameras

Acessories -

• Canon rc-6 wireless remote
    • Canon RS-80N Remote switch
    • Promaster Wired/Wireless 1/4" remote
    • 7x LP-E6 Batterys (2x Canon, 4x STK high cap, 1x random generic)
    • Canon BG-11 Battery Grip for 5dmk3
    • Canon BG-14 Battery Grip for 70D
    • 2x 35mm Macro bellows
    • Set of 77mm ND filters
    • 77mm Circular Polariser
    • Large blower (for lens cleaning)
    • 2x Trekking attachable detachable strap
    • Micro Fiber Cloths
    • Lens Paper
    • Lens Cleaning Fluid
    • LowePro 400AW Flipside bag
    • Oben Mono Pod
    • Sevaral Mid Size Canon Camera bags
    • Floating Blind Bag (mostly keep my lighting and water sensitive stuff in here for outside shooting)
    • 1970's Manon Aluminum Tripod

I also Recently Invested in a set of 500Watt Studio lighting panels and diffusers. That are semi portable. I am sure there is a bunch of stuff I forgot.

• @KnowOnesDesigns: It's perfectly fine to ask questions mate. For your uses I think you'd find the EOS M adequate. The major issue with the EOS M from my experience is how slow the auto focus is. This is improved depending on the lens you use but it is still very sluggish even with a lens that I know is very quick and accurate on my DSLR. Video on the EOS M is quite nice, audio is rather tinny so if you get it I would say you'll need a mic to plug into the unit.

I haven't used the Canon EOS 1100D (Rebel T3) so can't give you a comparison between the two models but my recommendation is to try save up a little extra and go for the Canon EOS 600D (Rebel T3i). 600D I have used and it's a solid entry level DSLR and if you're using it primarily for video it does 1080p recording as opposed to the 720p that the T3 can do.

@Rallier: When you're ready to upgrade, let us know. There are some perfectly good point and shoots that take some decent shots at night.

• I'll play -

Digital

• Fuji Xpro 1
    • Fuji 18mm f2
    • Fuji 35mm f1.4
    • Fuji 60mm f2.4
    • Fuji 18-55 2.5-4
    • Fuji 55-200
    • Fuji EF x-20 Flash
    • Fuji EF-20 Flash
    • Canon 20D
    • Canon 600D
    • Canon 35mm 2.0
    • Canon 50mm 1.8
    • Sigma 15mm fisheye

Film

• Rochester Optical Company 8x10 King Camera
    • Calumet 4x5
    • Crown Speed Graphic 4x5
    • Assorted large format lenses
    • Pentax 645 with 75mm & 150mm lenses
    • Bessa r3a with 40mm Nokton
    • Pentax P30
    • Canon AV-1

Polaroid

• Land 101
    • Land 210
    • Land 230
    • Land 350

Bags of note

• Billingham f2.8
    • Domke F2
    • Domke F-803

Accessories of note

• Manfrotto 055 XPROB + 322RC2 Tripod and head
    • Cullmann 522T

And add to that the buckets of stupid stuff you buy because you think it will be useful or help you be more creative / get you out of a rut; such as remote triggers, underwater camera bags, lighting sets, backdrop sets, product tables, lens filters, an entire darkroom - the list goes on!

• My collections is a little lower and a lot has been inherited/not sure if it works but can't part with it.

Digital

• Sony Nex f3
    • Sony Alpha 100
    • sony 16mm f2.8
    • Sony 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
    • Sigma 30mm f2.8
    • Fotodiox FD-NEX adaptor
    • Canon FD 50mm f1.8
    • Vivitar fd 135mm f2.8
    • Tokina FD 28mm f2.8
    • Sony (a mount) 18-70mm f 3.5-5.6
    • Sony (a mount) 75-300mm f4.5-5.6

Film

• Canon FTb
    • Pentax z-10

Plus 2 old tripods and a broken point and shoot.

On the subject of point and shoots does anyone have a recommendation for low to middish p&s? It's for my wife for christmas and is mostly for small human and holiday photos. It doesn't need to be fancy she just shoots in automatic mode but I would like it to be decent quality picture. I was looking at the Canon Powershot s110.

• @dezer: S110 will be an excellent choice.

• @stenchlord: the EOS-M isn't a "great" camera but it's definitely passable and with the adapter it makes a good 'in a pinch' body. My only grip about it is usually the lens is heavier than the body so balancing it is a little odd. I'm a little bummed that the EOS-M2 will probably never come to North America.

• @simian: Lenses being heavier can be an issue as they become your main way of holding the camera since the body is so slim it's hard to get a solid grip on it and change settings (aperture, shutter, etc) at the same time. The included tripod mount on the adapter is cool but a little unnecessary most of the time.

• @stenchlord: Thanks for the info! Some how I missed that the T3 only does 720 video, so that's good to know. I also have a small recording kit for podcasts, so I'm not too worried about the quality of the on-board mic, but thanks for pointing it out on the EOS-M.

• In my travel/walking kit I carry

Nikon D40

AF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 G

AF-S 35mm 1:1.8 G

AF-S 55-200mm 1:1.4-5.6 G ED

AF-S 10-24mm 1:3.5 4.5 G ED

and sometimes:

AF-S MICRO 85mm 1:3.5 G ED

I also carry polarizing filters and a small SLIK 20 tripod in my walking kit. I use a Think Tank shoulder bag to carry my stuff. these bags are really durable and well made. Nothing like having strap fail and ruin your day. This Nikon doesn't shoot video, but that's OK because I sometimes switchout or carry my video camera.

• Nice to see you added all your kit @norman ^_^

Ok so I'm on the market for a new camera bag. The Lowepro Hatchback 16L AW is great for when I'm looking to travel light. 50D w/ 30/1.4 attached and 85/1.8 + 430EX2 fit nicely in the camera compartment and the Crumpler 7MDH is great when I'm taking a whole lot of gear to a location where I can drop the bag (in a secure location) and leave it but not great for running around with all my gear weighing down on a single shoulder all day, specially when you consider that I'll have a separate bag for my notebook/laptop.

So I'm looking for a backpack that will hold the majority if not all my gear as well as a 13-15" notebook.

The backpacks that stand out most at the moment are the Lowepro FastPack 350 or the Lowepro Pro Runner 350 AW. I really like the idea of the gear in my bag being easily accessible without me needing to remove it but being able to hold a crap-ton of gear probably appeals more to me in the end as well as the All-Weather cover since I tend to have no issues with being out in the rain with my kit.

I guess I'll just head into a store and take a look at all my options but if anyone has any recommendations I should check out when I'm there, I'm all ears.

I'm also going to have to replace my tripod and head because I lent mine to a friend who took em on a ferry/cruise before proceeding to lose them overboard... Think I'm going to choose a Vanguard Alta Pro (not sure which model exactly quite yet) and Vanguard GH-100 Pistol Grip. Friend has of course offered to pay and I didn't want to go all out even though she probably would have paid without question, combo probably isn't going to be as good as my 190XB and 324RC2 but it'll suit my purposes fine.

EDIT: Hey @norman have you considered selling your 17-40L and picking up a Sigma 12-24? The UWA on FF would look awesome at conventions. Think you could get some pretty awesome shots with the combo.

• If carrying a laptop is important to you, this might be a good option...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/848556-REG/

• Cameras/Lenses

Sony NEX 6

Sony E 35mm f1.8

Sigma E 19mm f2.8

Sony E 55-210mm f4.5-6.3

Sony E 10-18mm f4

Pentac CCTV 35mm f1.7

Nexus 4

Accessories

Jolby GorillaPod

Macro rings for CCTV lens

C-NEX mount for CCTV lens

I'm in need of a decent tripod. I am currently strapless because I keep my camera in my satchel at all times and shoot mostly in the city during lunch and on my commute. I find it just too cumbersome to deal with a strap every time I want to take a photo. However, the more I invest in good glass, the more I fear catastrophe, especially in the winter. So if anyone has a recommendation for a good wrist strap, that doesn't take up much space (e.g., I couldn't care less about padding, etc.), I'm all ears.

• @mclaren777: What's the material like in the rain?

It looks pretty good to me but dunno if I can source one locally as I'd like to pick a bag up as soon as possible.

• Was in my local camera store and tried out about 11 or 12 bags, the Pro Runner 350 AW was the one I ended up with.

1. Canon 50D + Joby Wrist Strap
    2. Sigma 30/1.4 ART
    3. Canon 70-200/4L IS
    4. Canon EF-M Adapter & spare lens caps/covers
    5. Canon 24-105/4L IS
    6. Canon 40/2.8 STM
    7. Canon 50/1.4
    8. Canon 85/1.8
    9. Chargers & Spare batteries
    10. Canon EOS M
    11. Canon 430EX2 + diffusers
    12. Canon EW-83H Hood + Lens cases/bags
    13. Joby UltraFit Sling Strap

• I'm heading to Belize for a week's vacation. Here's what kit I'm bringing:

• Canon 7D
    • Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    • Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    • Canon 17-40 f/4L
    • Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5
    • Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS
    • 500D diopter
    • 77mm circular polarizer
    • Gorilla Pod
    • Shotgun Mic
    • batteries, flash cards, cables & chargers
    • Pentax WG-3 (for light carry and underwater)
    • gura-gear kiboko 22L+ bag

On other trips, I often bring my old Canon 10D as a backup body, but I'm keeping things lighter this year. I've had good experiences with the gura-gear bag. It holds most of my stuff (more than enough for a day's hike at any rate), has a pocket in the back big enough to hold a 17" macbook (I just bring my iPad for international trips). I wasn't sure about the "butterfly" design of the opening, but during a hike around the sea cliffs of Mainland Orkney I bent down to switch lenses only to realize I hadn't zipped up one of the flaps. I had been wandering around for nearly 10 minutes with a couple thousand dollars worth of unsecured glass strapped to my back!

• Not having to worry about leaving the main compartment open accidentally is something I definitely like about the Lowe Pro Flipside bags. Not to mention the ability to use it as a working / cleaning surface without having to set stuff down, most of the time. Also the fact that the lowepro bags seem to be extremely well padded. Not just between my back and the bag, but the internal dividers and the edges of the bag. They all are quite well packed padding wise, and much thicker than the other bags I compared it to at the time of purchasing.

Biggest reason I like the flipside is that i looks like a normal backpack most of the time. It is not obvious that it is holding camera equipment, in most situations.

• I haven't gone out taking pictures for a couple months so my gear has slowly moved out of my bag but here is what I pack when I go out.

• Sony NEX f3
    • Sony 18-55
    • Lens converter NEX->EOS
    • Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6
    • Cowboy Studio Strap
    • GOPRO HD HERO 2
    • chest mounting system for gopro
    • bar mount for gopro
    • tripod mount for gopro
    • multi coated filter kit for both 58mm and 49mm
    • 6" tripod
    • USB battery backup
    • Microfiber cloth
    • Extra 16gb flashcard
    • Multiple USB chargers and cables

And I jam all that stuff into a Everki Flight because there are no camera stores here and most camera bags are too expensive or too small for my needs. Also I take my gear up into mountains and rainforests so I can't have a bag that I need to worry about.

• Still not yet satisfied with my kit, and I don't carry it all around all the time:

• Canon Rebel XSi
    • Canon 18-55 IS (Kit lens)
    • Canon 50mm f/1.8
    • Canon 100 f/2.8 Macro
    • Canon 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (slightly janky hand-me-down)
    • Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (Refurb)
    • Canon Speedlite 430EX
    • Kata KT D-3-N-1 camera bag
    • Bogen/Manfrotto 3001/3030 tripod
    • Panasonic LX7

I carry around the Panasonic all the time, and if I'm traveling somewhere interesting and am pressed for space, I'll take the SLR with only the 28-135mm lens.

• Put in an order for a Vanguard Alta Pro 264AT and GH-100 to replace the 190XB and 324RC2 that was lost at sea :(

• @norman: YongNuo 560, which model you have? the mark 3 version looks incredible for the price, might even make for a good review.

• Kit

• Panasonic GH2 (hacked 77mbps fl0wmotion)
    • Olympus EP2
    • Panasonic 20mm 1.7 pancake
    • Panasonic 14-45mm 3.5-5.6 kit
    • Panasonic 45-200mm 4-5.6
    • Olympus 45mm 1.8
    • Kiwi Canon FD- M4/3 adaptor

Accessories

• Joby SLR Gorilla Pod
    • Peak Design Capture Pro 2
    • Peak Design Cuff
    • Hama Traveler Compact Pro
    • Yungnuo 560II flash
    • Neweer 24" softbox
    • Ownuser GH2 vertical battery grip.

Film

• Canon AE-1
    • Canon 50mm 1.4 FD

Cards

• 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro
    • 4x 8GB sandisk Extreme Pro (back ups in various bags)
  • I figured I would share a quick shot of my in the works macro setup. Of my 5d mk3 all kitted out on a pair of cinema rails.

the chip I was testing the setup with is 9mm x 10mm with 0.45mm pads and solder balls (This was one of a series of chips that I had hand reballed for testing reasons)

• No, no, no.

You don't get to show the setup without showing the results. Shame on you!

• @mclaren777: Well its kinda still in the process of being built up, I don't have aperture control yet of my lenses since they are all canon glass. I have to hack a pair of autofocus extension tubes. So i was gonna wait, since I was gonna do a full article about all the modifications hacks and results.

unedited frame, Sorry the chip is so dirty, 100mm reversed lens

shot of a body wash with little colored balls suspended in it, 50mm reversed lens its about 1:8.75 magnification level.

Kinda crap shots for now, besides throwing stuff together after the last of my parts showed up after waiting 3 weeks, I haven't had much more than 15 minutes to play with it.

• Wow, as a beginner I feel so jealous of the gear in this thread.

• Nikon D3100
    • Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    • Nikkor 35mm f/1.8

What should I get next? I'm thinking maybe a tripod, maybe get rid of the kit lens and get the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8?

• You've got a really nice starter kit there, the kit Nikkor lens is fine for the time being as you learn and you've got a great prime paired with it.

I'd say next thing to get would be a camera bag to suit a growing kit, maybe something like a Lowepro Fastpack 250AW. It holds a decent amount of gear which can be easily accessed when you're on the move which is nice and even if you upgrade later down the track, it'll be a great pack to have when you're looking to travel light. The bag has space for camera + lens attached and 2-3 extra lenses and maybe a flash too while having storage space for personal items and other accessories.

Oh and extra batteries too. Third party batteries are fine, I personally use Phottix batteries with my Canon 50D and they actually perform better than the genuine batteries I own and cost me $15 shipped per battery.

Tripod would be next, I'd recommend getting something decent but light. A heavier tripod is usually recommended if you intend on doing long exposures etc but a light tripod is a good starter piece of kit and being light means it'll make a really nice portable tripod if you ever decide travel around (i.e. overseas). Upgrading to a sturdier one later is always an option and then you'll still have the lighter one as mentioned if you decide to go overseas on holiday etc or just want to travel light.

After that a flash would be my next recommendation, it's not just an accessory you use when it's dark like most people use a flash. A flash is incredibly handy even during the day for fill-lighting. Having a flash to experiment with can lead to some pretty cool photos and again as with the batteries, there's no need to go first party. Third party flashes like the Yongnuo series are affordable and just as good as their first party counterparts in many cases and are definitely better bang for buck.

Finally something I tend to recommend as it's pretty inexpensive is some Cokin filters, it's usually $20-$30 for a GND/ND (graduated neutral density/neutral density) filter set and it'll come with mounts for all filter threads (49mm through to 82mm) so you'll never have an issue with compatibility. Again these can be used in many situations not just the few that the majority of people use them for, I've used it for portraits during the day as well as for my landscape shots etc.

• @stenchlord: Wow. Thanks for the recommendations! I do have a camera bag that fits a camera body and two lenses. I wouldn't say that I'm a beginner, only compared to the guys in this thread. I have been shooting for over a year and I feel like I'm comfortable with the stuff I have. I'm not sure where to go next. A flash and a tripod does sound like fun. I mostly use the prime lens and I want a good zoom but we'll see.