Which Sony NEX would you choose?

Created by Edders on Dec. 10, 2013, 12:21 p.m.
  • Hello,

I'm new to the Tested forum, I wanted to ask for your advice. If you had to choose from either of these two NEX's, which one would you choose?

I've set myself a low budget of £250 (Looking to buy used) because this will be my first camera of this caliber.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0053PD6G2/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NEX5KB-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B003OUX6TA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386706578&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+nex+5

• get the C3--it has a better sensor and is the equivalent of the 5n without the touchscreen. the nex-5 you link to is an older generation model.

i used the c3 all last year, and loved its compact size.

• Do you see yourself needing a decent flash? Buying more then 2 or 3 lenses? Are interested in any other accessories via a hotshoe? I bought into the nex system a few years ago and am kind of kicking myself for it. I think the Nex is a pretty great stepping stones for beginners or a light travel camera but the lens selection is kind of bad, and is not really improving.

I would probably recommend a camera in the m4/3s system that has a standard hotshoe. You get a better selection of lenses, a standard hotshoe for flashes and accessories and usually a pretty great CMOS sensor.

It sounds like I am pretty down on my NEX, but over the last 2 years I have had a lot of fun with it, and it was a good camera to learn with. I have taken it every where from family birthday parties to 5000 mile road trips and the only thing that has really failed me with the auto focus motor in the kit lens (died on the second day of my long road trip but manual focus+focus peaking saved me). It is a good bridge between point-and-shoot and DSLR and is perfect if you don't know if this hobby for you but want high quality photos. if this is a hobby you know you want to get serious about you will feel restrained pretty quickly if this is your primary camera.

• Thank you for the responses, I've been away from the site for awhile and have only just had a chance to read them. I ended up buying a second hand Sony NEX C3 for about £240 with the 18-55mm lens and flash. I'm pretty happy with it, I see your point YoThatLimp, it's an excellent starter camera for picking up the hobby and getting your feet wet.

I've also bought a Nikon Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D LENS with an adapter for my NEX just to mess around with. I don't know where I'm heading with this hobby yet, but I'm enjoying taking photos and tweaking them in Lightroom 5.

Bring on the Nikon D800 with it's massive price tag!

• Hope I wasn't being a bummer! The NEX is great, you made a fine choice! I took it to the zoo this weekend for a holiday lights event, and with a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 it performed beautifully! Peaking for manual focus is so awesome!

• I couldn't find the peaking option for the C3 am I just missing it ?
  • I've shorted it out, turn out the camera was way overdue for a firmware update.

• Bit of a coincidence, I was thinking of asking a very similar question. Phone camera's & our point & shoot just aren't good enough since we had a baby. But I'm cautious of spending a lot of a mirrorless solution.

Can you keep me updated on how it goes with the C3 please? Would be interested how it goes for you

• Loving it so far, I'd say well worth the price that I've paid for it used. It can be as complex as you would need in manual while also being an excellent automatic camera with fast focusing and great results.

• How have the lenses been? Does the Nikon work well with the Sony?

• I got the Nikon lens today, fits perfectly with the adapter. It's completely manual which for me has been a fun way to learn.