Please, I could some adivce for first time DSLR camera.

Created by Test Results on Nov. 17, 2013, 9:47 a.m.
  • I'm unfamiliar with Nikon stuff since I did end up going with Canon, but some basic questions would be, what kinds of photos do you expect to take? Sports/Action, Landscape, Portraits, Events, Night, etc. And what's your budget? And will you have buyers remorse if the D3300 comes out in Q1 of next year?

With that said, at first glance, that does seem like a good deal for that price range. It only came out last year so (I assume) it is pretty up to date, and while the 55-200mm isn't the VR (Vibration Reduction) version, you're practically getting it for free and the amazon reviews for the lens seem to think it's pretty great for the its price point.

• Here are two reviews comparing the two:

DigitalRev

dpreview.com

Its seems the two cameras really are pretty close to call. If you're going for abandoned buildings, the geotagging in the D3200 might be something that you would be happy to have. More megapixels for more freedom to crop is useful. On the other hand, I do appreciate having the articulated screen on my camera. It helped a lot this past weekend while in the crowd trying to take pics of the Batkid event in San Francisco.

Whichever you pick, I have read this piece of advice over and over again in most forums... the camera body doesn't matter as much as the lenses, because new camera bodies come and go but a lens can last you decades.

It's hard for me to internalize that information coming from a general lover of gadgets. It's hard for me to resist the newest thing, and it's strange for me to read that high end, professional DSLRs don't come out every year, and rather come out maybe every five years or so. But that's just how the camera world works at the moment.

(The lower, entry level DSLRs do seem to be coming out annually. That's one part of the reason why I chose the Canon 70D, one tier above their entry level Rebel line. The tier I bought into comes out every two years in recent years as opposed to one.)

• I'd go with the 3200 if you are going into abandoned buildings and stuff. That flap LCD screen may be more trouble than it's worth and overall ruggedness really helps when your lugging it around. I bought a D40 back in early 2009 and it's been through approximately 60,000 pictures, Japan(twice), trips around the country, NYC(lots of times) and it's never given me trouble yet. If I knew that kit lenses were not anything to use I would have bought the better lenses right off the bat. Though the kit lenses were good to use to get started. Since I bought the camera, I've invested about $2000 in additional lenses to get the shots I wanted, but that's the result of practice and gaining experience. Get a spare battery though when you buy the camera. Gotta have at least one spare. Having a spare battery keeps can save your shots from dropping power at the most inconvenient time. The same goes for SD chips. The more the better. A good camera bag is a very good thing. You will be carrying extra lenses, your spare battery, a good notepad and pencil, some glass cleaning wipes for the lenses, filters, and other stuff that you want to have. Make sure that yo look at how the bag is made and make sure that it is sturdy. The bags from Think Tank are very strong and durable:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

The important thing is to get shooting. Have fun.