I want to up my YouTube game, Suggest a camera!

Created by KnowOnesDesigns on Nov. 13, 2013, 10:19 a.m.
  • Hey everybody, Garrick here. So I am trying to add to my build documentation. For the most part I do quick updates on Facebook and longer form posts on my website (KnowOnesDesigns.com), but I really want to start adding more videos. I have been using my iPhone 4s with MoviePro and a Fostex AR-4i audio interface. I want to look into a better camera, and I have a separate recording setup already. Now I don't have a ton of money to throw at this, but suggestions between $100-$500 would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Garrick Backer

• What kinds of features are you looking for? A great HD webcam? A more mobile camcorder that you can take around with you to shoot HD video? Or are you looking for something that can do both video and stills equally well?

• I don't see why a GoPro wouldn't suit your needs, should be well within budget.

• I think that's the winner idea right there without even needing more details. And a new model just came out so you have your pick of latest and greatest (GoPro Hero 3+ Silver or Black editions), or almost just as good that's a lot cheaper (GoPro Hero 3).

Here's the GoPro website to see the comparisons. Here's Norm's in-depth review. And CNET's side-by-side comparison of the 3 and 3+.

• Thanks guys! I have some audio recording equipment already, so I'm really just looking for the camera, and the GoPro is looking pretty good.