Micro 4/3rds Cameras. I have questions.

Created by Anominal on Nov. 12, 2013, 7:04 p.m.
  • I don't know if/when I'm going to try out a full frame camera, and if I do, if it will replace my Canon 70D or be in addition to it. On the other hand, I know that I want a micro 4/3rds in addition to my DSLR, and as always, I like to do my research. I need to know what I'm getting into and I need to be able to understand news and rumors about future products.

I know that there is Sony with it's own thing and that there is an alliance of manufacturers that are sharing lenses between each other. What I don't know is who is in that alliance. Pentax, Olympus, and others?

And what are the current top of the line cameras? What are the tiers? What has the most potential? Any companies in dangers of abandoning the format? I know rumors are that Canon is going to be releasing a EOS-M2 early next year, but I also know that Canon is new to the format and has a lot of catching up to do. No idea about Nikon's place in this space.

Any help understanding this style of camera is appreciated.

• @Anominal: the only two companies working together are panasonic and Olympus on micro 4/3, the other companies are Canon, Nikon,samsung, Sony, Pentax, Fujifilm are all doing their own formats.

M43s has really good lens selection at good prices, and good third party support, ebay are littered with cheap buys from older generations worth looking at.

Sony has good lenses and great cameras but a much more limited choice before becoming extremely expensive due to limited 3rd party support.

Fujifilm, stellar cameras, great optics and innovations, at high prices, with very limited lens choices. pro togs love these cameras.

Canon is worth a mentions but the EOS-M is full of problems, so keep an eye on the EOS-M2 when that comes around.

Nikon is ok, they have smaller sensors than the rivals, but quality is good, don't know about lens choices.

in terms of tiers it looks like this

low end

Panasonic GF5 , Olympus EPM2, Sony NEX3

mid range

Panasonic GX7, Olympus EPL5, Canon EOSM, Sony NEX5

High End - super high end

Olympus EP5, OMD, Panasonic GH3, Sony NEX7. Fujifilm X100s

Sony and M43s have the best support for now, and both have fantastic pancake lens which makes them smaller and easier to carry on days you don't want to lug the DSLR.

Personal preference for me is m43 with a panasonic 20mm f1.7 with the panasonic gx7.

• @Sonowake Thanks! This is perfect. It's going to make it so much easier to understand what everyone is talking and posting about.

• @Anominal: sorry i'd make one correction, the GX7 is high end.