First DSLR

Created by Darklighter009 on Nov. 4, 2013, 9:03 a.m.
  • I'm thinking of buying a DSLR (probably a Cannon SL1, or a T5i, though I am open to suggestions). I was wondering if I should go with a stock lens or buy the body and lens separate. I'm on a limited budget, so for now its the stock lens, but I wanted to ask for advice on other body/lens combinations on a similar price range. Since it will be my only lens for a while I am aiming for versatility.

Is it worth considering a used lens? Any buying advice?

Appreciate your comments.

• My biggest suggestion is if possible get your hands physically on both bodies if its possible, See how they feel for you. Since some of the newer canon bodies are much smaller than the older models it can be uncomfortable for some people. The settings across most of the bodies are pretty much the same when it comes to what they are capable of doing. The places where you really start to notice difference is Low light photography, Focus speed, and and capture speed. Unless your shooting sports or birds, generally capture speed isn't gonna be an issue for most people. As most bodies these days are capable of shooting more than fast enough for capturing the moments people want to remember.

Video capabilities of the newer bodies are also a big place for improvement compared to the older bodies.

As for lenses, Your pretty much limited to the EF-S lens range, which are cheaper lenses. Avoid the 18-55 USM non stabilized lens if possible. Specifically the old version that is 100% plastic (it might be bundled with some of the older bodies). If possible go for something with 24-100+ ish IS USM lens, Which they do sell currently as a kit option for most bodies. This is a nice versatile lens. The Image stabilization will also help quite a bit when shooting hand held. Which is probably gonna be most of your shooting. One of the nicest things about a lens that size, is it gives you a chance for some great up close creativity options that a smaller lens will not afford you. You will also still have versatility needed for portraiture.