Digital SLR first purchase advice

Created by Ragetti on Oct. 22, 2013, 6:12 a.m.
  • Hi all,

I have been looking into purchasing a new camera in the next few months and need some advice on where to begin.

I have not ever owned a DSLR before and my only real experience has been with compact cameras and point and shoots. I have been taking a keen interest in photography of late and would like to purchase a good quality DSLR for a reasonable first buyer price.

I have been reading some reviews of the Canon EOS 30D and Canon EOS 500D but would like advice on which would be a better purchase or alternative suggestions if any. Ideally i would like to be able to have as much functionality as possible from the camera as well as high quality images as this will be used for future business and leisure.

Both of those cameras i have found at a similar price point online approx £250 ($400) so i would like to keep to this budget for my first camera whilst i learn how to use it with thanks going to the Tested community for the reading material.

Regards,

James

• For 400 dollars, your DSLR options are going to be really limited. The 30D is from 2006, and the 500D(T1i here in the states) is from 2009. I really wouldn't recommend either of those. If you can pony up an extra hundred or so dollars, you could start to get in to the range of things like the canon T3i. This is still a camera from a couple years ago, but it has 1080p video, and is going to be much more feature rich, as well as more enjoyable to use then either of the cameras you listed. Personally, I have a T1i, which as the name implies is 2 generations before the T3i. It is still perfectly fine for what I use it for, and although I wish the video options were better (and they are on the T3i), the still images are still really nice quality.

Here is the T3i on amazon (the us version, hopefully prices will be similar, but who knows)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T3i-Digital-Imaging-18-55mm/dp/B004J3V90Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382542564&sr=1-2&keywords=canon+slr

and then there is the T3, which is a stripped down version without some of the features and 5 fewer megapixels, but still with good, though not as good, image quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B004J3Y9U6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382542564&sr=1-1&keywords=canon+slr

• Hi @tom032792 ,

Thanks for the response. I have had a look on amazon and the T3i (or EOS 600D in the UK) i £400/$645 and from my limited knowledge seems to be a big improvement on the models i was looking at.

I may have to save the extra cash and get that next month.

I appreciate the help!

James

• @Ragetti said:

Hi @tom032792 ,

Thanks for the response. I have had a look on amazon and the T3i (or EOS 600D in the UK) i £400/$645 and from my limited knowledge seems to be a big improvement on the models i was looking at.

I may have to save the extra cash and get that next month.

I appreciate the help!

James

Last Xmas, there were some serious discounts on Canon lenses at Amazon. Last year I bought a T3 and a telephoto for for $440. Right now, those two items are $530 right now. It might be worth waiting a couple months since you might get $100 or more in savings.

• Yeah, the T3i would definitely be worth saving the cash for an extra month. People don't typically replace DSLR's very quickly so chances are you are gonna have it for a long time. That is even more true for when you start buying lenses. Bodies, and especially lenses are going to be with you a long time, so you might as well get the absolute best you can.

• @Ragetti: if you really just want something simple, cheap, and great for learning, you could look at this. it's cheap and it's a fab camera, only issue i have with it is that it doesn't have a sensor for the EVF(electronic viewfinder) to autoswitch.