Getting Started

Created by AtomicEdge on Oct. 16, 2013, 4:13 a.m.
  • Hey guys, fate seems to be telling me to start taking photographs more seriously. At work I have just inherited a Nikon D60 from another site that shut down, and it seems pretty good(?).

At the same time I have just realised that Lightroom is now included in my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription (apparently in June!).

Anyway, I figure why not! Let's make the most of what I have and see if I get the bug. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any getting started guides/sites for someone that has pretty much only ever used a point and shoot on auto. I will most likely be shooting people, friends and my nephews mostly, but would be interesting in shooting some landscapes as I live in a pretty picturesque place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Oh and it has a Nikon standard 18-55mm zoom lens on it.

• I would start by learning what ISO, Aperture, Shutter and how they relate to each other and what each does, i had a short university course that taught me all this, and learning the rest myself via trail and error. I remember there was a good guide for beginners on and by vimeo.

but i don't really have much else, sorry.

If you want to look at equipment it's worth looking at 35mm prime lens.

• Outside of the thread Rallier posted here my suggestioons.

I would say the biggest thing to do is find a subject area of choice that you enjoy, then work at taking picturesof it, Start moving from automatic settings into the full manual settings. Look at your shots after your shoot not during. Then look at the settings you used for the shots. Look at where things work for what you wanted to see, and look at why things didn't work. Trial and error is really one of the best methods of learning, since every camera is a little different. Even a professional photographer will spend a decent chunk of time getting to know new camera bodys and lenses, before they start to rely on them and feel they can get the shots they want out of them.

My other suggestion is that upclose shooting in a semi controlled environment is a great way to learn a lot of what sonowake has mentioned. It will also more quickly introduce you to depth of field, Which is something that will quickly differentiate shots from something you would see when attempting to document family and something that more controls the focus of the viewers eyes.

• Somehow I missed this thread. I wish I could go back to that original thread of mine and do some editing to the links if it's being pointed too. But good thing is that I would want to add and do some more organization to it, rather than take out anything. As I've learned a little bit more, those still do seem like some good free and/or not very expensive starting points.

Here's one site I'd add:

Canon Outside of Auto - It's from Canon Canada. It's a site that let's you play with a virtual camera in manual mode, aperture priority mode, and shutter priority mode. They have some basic lessons, the virtual camera to play with, and then you can do a simple test to see if you understand the lessons.

Seeing how the sliders move in different priority modes as you mess with the settings really helps to visualize and reinforce what's going on and how shutter speed, aperture, and iso all relate to each other.