if I wanted to make a youtube video (720p?), what would it require of me?

Created by super2j on Sept. 16, 2013, 12:56 p.m.
  • I am a poor poor student and I had an idea for a funny video I would like to try making. Unfortunately I have a limiting factor, the lack of a video camera. The only two cameras in the house are the Canon power shot Sx120ls and the nikon coolpix L12. Outside of that, there is a nexus 4, and a galaxy nexus. So very very slim pickings (I think). What I want is to get a general sense of what I should be looking for in a camera if I ever go looking for a camera or see one on sale at a very low low price (since I only really want to try out this one project).

To help you out, all I am going to do is have a tight shot of the actor's face (me or a friend) followed by a super slow zoom and maybe one wide shot of the surroundings. No real action here.

This is a long shot but any good apps to help with my problem (i will edit on a computer).

• Disclaimer, I haven't shot anything beyond experimenting with streaming video games, (Well, a card game, SolForge), so I am not an expert by any means when it comes to video. But I have some questions.

You described three shots, the second one as a zoom. How long of a zoom are you wanting to do? And is it a distant shot zooming into something normal sized, like a person's face? Or is it from a normal size to extreme close up, like an eyeball?

How are you recording audio? This is a separate expense. Or are you planning on recording audio from the default camera mic? (I wouldn't suggest that, in general.)

What kinds of things are you hoping to get out of the camera after you're done with the video? Regular everyday photography? Or play around with more video? Why not a camcorder?

Is your budget more in the $300 range? $200? Or lower.

I don't know if you're the kind of person that avoids refurbished products, but I love'em, and that's the way I'd be going if I were you. (Used on the other hand, is something I tend to avoid, but that's also an option.)

I'm guessing you want it as soon as possible, rather than wait for Black Friday and the holiday sales.

I don't know if I'll be able to strongly recommend any camera, but at least maybe I can get some details that will help other people be able to help you.

(I'm gonna at least go grab my point-and-shoot from my brother and play around with it and see what it can do, so I can have some kind of reference to try to help you out. It's a Sony HX20V, but probably overbudget.)

• For what I am looking to do in terms of zoom.

I dont have any plans for recording audio during the shoot, everything would added after.

Aside from recording various family things... not many other plans for the camera. I could see me enjoying the shoot and maybe trying to make more but at this point its a one off.

This could be a limiting factor but I dont know if i can afford to have a budget for something that is 100% for fun.

That said, I could see myself convinced by a well priced refurbished item. Plus, you mentioned black friday, I'm in Canada and I am 100% willing to wait all the way until boxing day.

Ultimately, I guess I could always do a rough video... Ie. use my phone get the video, add all the audio and visual flare I want and then reshoot it with a better camera when I have it. I would do it exactly the same as the phone so that all my edits fit in with minimal work.

Thanks for helping out.

• So long as you have a lot of natural light, any budget camera should be fine. Maybe look at some of the budget video cameras like the Flip and Toshiba Camileo. You should be able to find something like that, that can shoot at at least 720p (heck even webcams can do decent 720p w/ good lighting nowadays :) ), for cheap. If it's a one-off project, I wouldn't drop hundreds of dollars on a camera and mic unless you have backing or are okay with not making back the money on YT ads.

I will say this, people can put up with bad video but will generally not accept bad audio. Your phone might even be fine if you are in a room with large windows and lots of natural light to work with and can rig up a way to hold it steady for the shots on a monopod or tripod (a washer and length of string can work in a pinch as a monopod), so long as you have clear audio YouTube won't care much heh.

Edit: I think what I am getting as is that, so long as the content and audio is at least serviceable, people will watch :).

• @WolfOfOne said:

So long as you have a lot of natural light, any budget camera should be fine. Maybe look at some of the budget video cameras like the Flip and Toshiba Camileo. You should be able to find something like that, that can shoot at at least 720p (heck even webcams can do decent 720p w/ good lighting nowadays :) ), for cheap. If it's a one-off project, I wouldn't drop hundreds of dollars on a camera and mic unless you have backing or are okay with not making back the money on YT ads.

I will say this, people can put up with bad video but will generally not accept bad audio. Your phone might even be fine if you are in a room with large windows and lots of natural light to work with and can rig up a way to hold it steady for the shots on a monopod or tripod (a washer and length of string can work in a pinch as a monopod), so long as you have clear audio YouTube won't care much heh.

Edit: I think what I am getting as is that, so long as the content and audio is at least serviceable, people will watch :).

thanks for the advice, I will definitely keep that in mind.

• If you have plenty of light, your nexus 4 should provide good 720p video and probably provide decent audio as long as you're in a fairly quiet environment and indoors. For the zoom you can just "zoom with your feet" you might have to be quite close to your subject considering how wide camera phone lenses are but being close up will also help audio (admittedly you won't get that slow zoom). but i would recommend some kind of tripod or stabiliser.

If you're looking for cameras for filming, I def recommend going second hand if you're on a tight budget, ebay is your friend.

• this is helpful