Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM

Created by stenchlord on Aug. 10, 2013, 2:45 a.m.
  • Anyone here had any hands on experience with the aforementioned lens?

It's been a few years since I picked up a camera but with all of Norms recent escapades I thought I'd pick one up again so went out and for $500 found a secondhand 50D with 15k actuations and included with it was a Canon 85mm f/1.8 HSM. Great lens (I used to own one) but it's a little too long to use as an everyday carry. I much prefer the wider end and was originally going to get a budget Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM since I used to have one but was reading some pretty rave reviews on the 35/1.4 which was released late last year.

Now MTF charts and graphs are one thing but user comments on what it's like to live with a lens is another. Anyone here own this lens or at the very least borrowed one?

• Aren't you gonna have alot of barreling and at 30-35mm? and can't that be a major deal breaker in certain everyday situations?

I haven't really been playing with any small lenses at all but I do remember reading about such sizes being somewhat annoying due to this, and that a 50mm was closer to the standard depth of field of normal eye sight.

Just food for thought since I haven't had my hands on one of these.

• It's a fixed focal length so barrel distortion is well under 1% according to online reviews so no it wouldn't be an issue at all let alone a deal breaker.

As for the 50mm and human perspective, that would likely be on a full frame camera. Not a crop body like the 50D.

• Reviews are all well and good saying how nice the finish on the lens is but I'm more wanting to hear things from owners who have lived with the lens for a while. Does that finish stand up well to the elements or does it wear pretty easily? Is the AF noisy? Do the focusing rings feel still smooth after weeks/months of use? Has anyone had issues that would point to quality control being lax at Sigma (i.e. Can I be confident ordering online or will I need to go to a local store with my camera and pay a premium to ensure I get a "good copy")?

Was hoping there were more budding photogs on Tested to help me out :(