Should I get Lightroom if I have Photoshop?

Created by Rean on July 15, 2013, 5:49 a.m.
  • I have recently purchased a 50mm 1.4 lens for my Canon 550D and would like to start learning about editing my photos to get the best images. As the question states in the title do I need Lightroom?

I have a copy of Photoshop CS6, and am fairly comfortable using it for web design and so forth. I have never really used it for editing photos. Would it be more stream line to get Lightroom, or just knuckle down and learn some techniques in PS?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Apps like Lightroom and Aperture are far better at organising photos and getting real easy access to the kinds of settings / editing tools you would most likely want to use when tweaking photos.

Photoshop will continue to work fine as an image editor, but it's not an efficient workflow if you're trying to curate and comb through loads of images.

• I started using it a month ago and I've really been enjoying it. I would think that lightroom would be easier to learn digital photo processing as you don't need to go digging through menus. It also saves the history for each photos which is great for learning because you can go back to a photo and undo changes.

Like @Lashe said the real advantage of lightroom over photoshop is the photo organisation.

You can always give the free 30 day trail ago and see if you like it.

• I'd definitely recommend Lightroom. I've only been doing photography for a little while now, so I haven't actually had experience with any other photo editing tools, but I can't imagine wanting much more than what Lightroom gives me.

Just remember to shoot in RAW so you can take full advantage of the suite of tools.

• Lightroom is nice but there are a lot of settings it doesn't have I use often. I would rather tweak my Photoshop to have what I need than to use Lightroom and have to finish my photos in Photoshop. There are apps you can install into Photoshop like Totally Rad that allow you to pick from different color settings. Also PS Actions allow you to save any type of changes you make to a photo so you can apply it to multiple photos. For example making a action of a watermark so every image you open you can activate that action and it auto adds whatever steps you saved. These types of things give quick and simple features to Photoshop to make it as easy as Lightroom.

If you are unfamiliar with Actions check out my tutorial that should help. If you have questions just leave a comment and I will answer them pretty quickly. http://trevordealdesign.com/how-to-adobe-photoshop-actions/

@Lashe Actions helps with this. You can create an action to open 200 photos and apply color corrections, change size, save in a different location, and much more. Just press play and it does all of the work.

@dezer that feature is also in Photshop sort of. You can mark snapshots in your history so you have multi versions mini saved into your history. It works in the same way as clicking on the thumbnail to see what the file looked like when you first opened it.

• Keeping up with Photoshop versions has become altogether too expensive for me. I have Photoshop CS4 and I'm sticking with that for a while. I am however buying Lightroom 5, both for its organizational tools and for the latest version of Camera Raw, which I need to get raw support for my relatively new camera.

• yes, with lightroom i am in photoshop 90% less, and 80% more productive when batch processing raw files