Panasonic Lumix GX1?

Created by achoyq on April 23, 2013, 12:46 a.m.
  • Hey guys was just wondering what you guys think of the Panasonic Lumix GX1 camera? I've looked around and dpreview and a few other sites and it seemed to be a great m43 camera, but there seems to be an issue with the power zoom kit lens (link). As a newbie should I be worried about this? I've been thinking about getting this but the mentioned issue worries me a bit. Also where I live I have no option of getting a different kit lens, so that's out of the question. Would like to hear people's thoughts on it.

• The panasonic GX1 is a great camera, the issue isn't as bad as you'd expect, as you'll most likely use it on the wide end where the issue isn't present, but i wouldn't recommend this due to the slow zoom, but you're not gonna find a zoom lens that's smaller than this one, so you take the good and the bad, but kit lenses with almost all camera almost always fall apart in some way.

but being on m43 you'l have access to loads of lenses, i would recommend the panasonic 20mm F1.7 or the 25mm F1.4. and keep the zoom in the bag for when you need to be a little wider or need the reach.

• @Sonowake: Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely thinking about getting a wider lens in the future if I ever decide to get this camera. In any case, I'm still open for other good m43 camera options around the same or lower price. The Canon Powershot g15 seems like its a good camera and cheaper where I live, any thoughts on that or any other good cameras you can recommend?

• The sony NEX cameras that the guys talk about alot are really good, another good cheap choice would actually be looking at Olympus's older "premium" cameras, the EP1 or EP2, you can pick these up for dirt cheap on ebay and they take phenomenal pictures, noise performance will good but not as good as the modern counter parts, but def worth taking a look.

• Sonowake Thanks for the help, I'll lookup these Olympus cameras you mentioned.

• @achoyq: last thing i will say is that nothing will beat getting your hands on a camera and seeing how it feels in your hands, i have bought cameras with rave reviews in the past, getting it and disliking the ergonomics (why i don't like the sony NEX 3), menus and speed.

So pop by a camera retailer and check them out.